IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

3 hours ago, Matias said:

You should definitely try an ISO Regen after the ultraRendu. I used it here and it does make a difference. Most likely after an opticalRendu as well.

In my case the option would be to upgrade the generic switch to an EtherRegen an keep the ultraRendu. Or keep the generic switch and upgrade to an opticalModule + opticalRendu combo. Decisions... :)

The etherREGEN. does something quite different than the OM & OR. I believe, the choice is use both ER and OM & OR or replace the OM with the etherREGEN.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

41 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

The etherREGEN. does something quite different than the OM & OR. I believe, the choice is use both ER and OM & OR or replace the OM with the etherREGEN.

My current setup:

ethernet cable coming to living room => generic switch => ultraRendu (and other non audio devices: AVR, HTPC, video game console) => ISO Regen => DAC.

Upgrade path option 1:

ethernet cable => EtherREGEN => ultraRendu on B side (and other devices on A side) => ISO Regen => DAC

Upgrade path option 2:

ethernet cable => generic switch => opticalModule (and other devices) => opticalRendu => ISO Regen => DAC

Both should provide electrical isolation and better phase noise to the different Rendus.

But option 2 raises the box count, which is not desirable...

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

4 minutes ago, Matias said:

My current setup:

ethernet cable coming to living room => generic switch => ultraRendu (and other non audio devices: AVR, HTPC, video game console) => ISO Regen => DAC.

Upgrade path option 1:

ethernet cable => EtherREGEN => ultraRendu (and other devices) => ISO Regen => DAC

Upgrade path option 2:

ethernet cable => generic switch => opticalModule (and other devices) => opticalRendu => ISO Regen => DAC

Both should provide electrical isolation and better phase noise to the different Rendus.

But option 2 raises the box count, which is not desirable...

In mine opinion, upgrade path 1 is the right way to go (less cost, same quality; if I read previous post from Alex/John between the lines). Also: keep it simple as possible is my opinion.

I have two possible paths too...

1) Using the A-side from the EtherREGEN in my utility room for my NAS, Router, AppleTV and IMac. And the B-side to my ultraRendu->Qutest DAC. The cable on the B-side to my ultraRendu will be about 8 meter (all the cables are Supra CAT8). In this situation the EtherREGEN is replacing my Netgear switch.

2) Placing the EtherREGEN near my ultrarendu->Qutest DAC in my hifi rack. I need an extra short Supra CAT8 cable. The present cable will go into the A-side.

I prefer option 1, but perhaps option 2 is the better solution. Btw. Supra cables are very well shielded, so I think option 1 is also a good possibility. Any thoughts would be welcome, thanks!

38 minutes ago, Adyc said:

For option 2, I would replace OM with ER. If what Alex says is true on the power supply of ER, one doesn’t need to buy an expensive LPS for ER. However, a lot of reports say OM improves with better LPS. So the total cost is actually cheaper for ER.  Second, the technology is much more sophisticated for ER.

That’s what I’m going to do.

We have the opticalModule with a SGC linear supply on our website for 395 USD. That is 240 USD less than a ER which will be 640 USD.

The PS on the ER does not matter...famous last words:) 

When Alex sends me an ER to try I'll be powering it with my linear supply.

3 hours ago, Adyc said:

For option 2, I would replace OM with ER. If what Alex says is true on the power supply of ER, one doesn’t need to buy an expensive LPS for ER. However, a lot of reports say OM improves with better LPS. So the total cost is actually cheaper for ER.  Second, the technology is much more sophisticated for ER.

That’s what I’m going to do.

In my case I meet Ethernet to other devices too. So using an EtherRegen B side input, optical to opticalRendu and other devices on A side is not ideal, as per John's explanation. This would work only if there were no other devices on the A side.

Also on my case there is the price difference between buying a new opticalRendu and selling my ultraRendu.

Option 1 makes more sense to me.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

3 minutes ago, Matias said:

In my case I meet Ethernet to other devices too. So using an EtherRegen B side input, optical to opticalRendu and other devices on A side is not ideal, as per John's explanation. This would work only if there were no other devices on the A side.

Please remember folks:

You could defeat the isolation moat or use just the 'A' side ports and EtherREGEN will still be the most advanced Ethernet switch available. :D  Look closely at our tech.120317747_EtherREGENTech.Highlightsweb.thumb.jpg.238c6153c318f33b44d6816067016c5a.jpg 

I plan on getting the EtherRegen b side to optical module to optical rendu. Not sure if it will provide improvement in sq over my current setup with Cisco switch to optical module to optical rendu but worth a try. I wanted to use other a ports for other stuff so won’t run from optical port on EtherRegen. Maybe dumb question but is there any theoretical advantage of using one of the other A ports to connect to my AppleTV for home theater use, either improved video or audio?

On 10/6/2019 at 6:29 AM, FrankMA said:

Just want to be sure in my scenario the EtherRegen is worth adding.  I would be replacing the Cisco in my chain with the EtherRegen. Since I am currently using USB out of the Innuos server, am I correct to assume the impact would be minimal? However if I was going Ethernet from my server to my DAC (Innuos has an Ethernet Out), inserting the EtherRegen for the Cisco and feeding the Innuos from the isolated/B side of the ER would result in a major impact.

Am I understanding this correctly? 

Windows 10 2019-10-06 06-24-53.jpg

No advice on my setup? Probably because this group would like one less person with his finger on the buy button today 😀

Would this be the best use of the ER:

B Side to Innuos

Innuos>DS Sr (Direct Ethernet connection or tX-USBultra/USB)

I'll compare but if I go USB can the DS Sr be connected to the A Side (so it can be on the network) without doing any damage or is this defeating the isolation?

I'm assuming anything in this audio rack could be connected to the A Side without adding noise/sound degradation to the primary audio chain via Port B. Correct?

Thank you (I think.....)

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

13 hours ago, Adyc said:

Second, the technology is much more sophisticated for ER.

This is an incorrect assumption. The A side of the ER is an ethernt format converter run from LT linear regulators and femto series Crystek oscillator. This is the design of an opticalModule is as well. The A side and B side of the ER is separated by the moat via IC circuits. The opticalModule and opticalRendu are separated via fiber optic cable providing 100% galvanic isolation. The B side of the ER has a switch chip run from LT linear regulators and the femto series Crystek oscillator on the A side. The switch chip drives the SFP and RJ45 ports which pollute each other when utilized together. The opticalRendu has the same switch chip run from LT linear regulators, but has its own femto series Crystek oscillator. No other ports are provided on the opticalRendu to avoid the obvious pollution from other connected devices and because it's not necessary for an endpoint. 

9 hours ago, lxgreen said:

I plan on getting the EtherRegen b side to optical module to optical rendu. Not sure if it will provide improvement in sq over my current setup with Cisco switch to optical module to optical rendu but worth a try. I wanted to use other a ports for other stuff so won’t run from optical port on EtherRegen. Maybe dumb question but is there any theoretical advantage of using one of the other A ports to connect to my AppleTV for home theater use, either improved video or audio?

Most probably. I felt a difference with my TV when first I used a Cisco and then when on top of the Cisco I used an oM. I guess the least sophisticated a TV is, better will be the results... 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

This is an incorrect assumption. The A side of the ER is an ethernt format converter run from LT linear regulators and femto series Crystek oscillator. This is the design of an opticalModule is as well. The A side and B side of the ER is separated by the moat via IC circuits. The opticalModule and opticalRendu are separated via fiber optic cable providing 100% galvanic isolation. The B side of the ER has a switch chip run from LT linear regulators and the femto series Crystek oscillator on the A side. The switch chip drives the SFP and RJ45 ports which pollute each other when utilized together. The opticalRendu has the same switch chip run from LT linear regulators, but has its own femto series Crystek oscillator. No other ports are provided on the opticalRendu to avoid the obvious pollution from other connected devices and because it's not necessary for an endpoint. 

My assumption is that the opticalModules (and/or opticalRendu) and the EthereRegen will pretty much get one to the same place - it just depends on the topology of your system (for example if you already have a fiber run in place like I did). Not sure if it would make any difference or be at all cost effective to run both at the same time, esp if one has an industrial quality switch like a Cisco in place already preceding the oM's/oR. Of course, there being plenty of members here who will jump on anything Uptone or Sonore related, we'll soon find out and have comparisons in no time I'm sure. It is great to have both options from two stellar companies. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

You have our 'A' side and 'B' side backwards Jesus.

More importantly, what you are missing is that the EtherREGEN is about much more than simply galvanic isolation.  The active differential  isolators and the differential flip-flops are the heart of the design.  They block the passage of deterministic jitter--coming in from upstream connections and generated by the ('A' side) chips themselves. John will write about this and show measures of it, but these are second-order low-frequency (<100KHz) effects which show up on the power and ground planes and inside the chips themselves. It is common-mode stuff, so the only way to get rid of it is with differential isolation and differential reclocking flops.

Despite the opticalModule having some parts in common with the EtherREGEN (I'm avoiding saying "borrowing" despite John having begun the EtherREGEN 6 months prior to the oM 9_9), our products are quite different from each other.

Best wishes,

--Alex C.

still 8 7 minutes to that 😉

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I am ready to attack.🤠 pistoles blazing eagerly waiting for the  9th hour.

I give it 10 minutes before it’s sold out.

Good luck to everybody but mostly to myself 🙄

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2