IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

the better arrangement options will to skip the opticModule and run copper into the EtherREGEN and optical out to the opticalRendu.

...if he does not use the other A side copper connections to anything else non audio related, as John answered. 

I had the same doubts when planning my future upgrade path. :)

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

11 minutes ago, nonesup said:

My personal experience is clear at this point;  If when I play local files from my Melco to the DAC (USB connection), I disconnect the cable that communicates in Router with Aqvox Switch, the sound improvement is instantaneous.  Therefore, if EtherRegen is able to isolate the noise that comes from the Router, “almost” as much as removing the cable, it has to improve the sound.  We must also expect that the internal noise of the EtherRegen, is lower than any other Switch, new improvement in sound.

Will be interested to find out if it has any improvement on my Antipodes Solution when playing local files from internal SSD as there is no direct playback option like Melco the ethernet cable needs to be connected at all times.

To clarify, I do not say remove the cable that goes from the Aqvox to the Melco, in this case neither does Melco reproduce, but the one that goes from Router to Aqvox.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well, despite the fact that we are not aiming the EtherREGEN directly at opticalRendu users, I really must correct you here. Due to the extraordinary differential isolation and reclocking, it will most always be best to have the EtherREGEN as the last device feeding the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer. If you insert a device in-between—even the best-in-class opticaModule FMC—then you reintroduce another path for leakage and new phase-noise modulation.

So for the person ( @Musikfan) you were replying to, (technically) the better arrangement options will to skip the opticModule and run copper into the EtherREGEN and optical out to the opticalRendu.

@JohnSwenson John, since you have been involved in the development of both products (I think) do you mind commenting on this?  How would you recommend one configure an opticalRendu and an EtherRegen?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

Any picture of the connector on B side available please?

I need to order a short solid core lan cable so I want orientation of the rj45 plugs right...

The ‘B’ side’s RJ45 has its insert/release clip at the top, just like all normal/sane RJ45s (drives me nuts when they are on the bottom).

BTW any rj45 adapter foreseen like what you did for connecting iso regen to dac?

No plans at all for an “RJPCB Adapter.” :S

DC barrel is 2.1mm right?

Yes. 5.5mm x 2.1mm, center-positive; input voltage range 7-12VDC.

31 minutes ago, Superdad said:

He did so already: :)

Well, not fully.  I am curious if he would recommend not using an opticalModule with the EtherRegen.  The disadvantage of using the SFP output on the A side to feed the opticalRendu is that he recommends not using all the other A ports.  I want to use the A ports for my NAS and music server.

I guess I will just have to do some testing after I get the EtherRegen.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

4 hours ago, Nay said:

Correct me if i am wrong but i thought Melco have a direct mode that completely isolates from ethernet?

Yes it is correct, Melco can be configured to close the RJ45 port that goes to the Switch, but that is only useful if you are using a DAC connected by ethernet and THAT CAN BE HANDLED WITH BUTTONS IN THE DAC.  If this is not the case (99% of the cases), that is, you drive it from a tablet, you cannot use this mode.  It's what happened to me before, when I had my Lumin A1.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

28 minutes ago, Musikfan said:

Thank you everyone for your responses about use of etherREGEN and OpticalRendu. 

Does it matter if one uses a gigabit LC SX multi mode or LX single mode optical module?  If so, which type would be recommended, a multi mode or single mode module?

The SFP cage of the EtherREGEN will work with either SX or LX modules; Gigabit only. 

Just be sure you use the same type, wavelength, etc. at both ends—and of course the matching fiber cable.

As for recommendations based on sonic or other considerations: For now we’ll leave that to more extreme folks. 9_9

Frankly, based on the fact that I hear no difference between optical and copper with EtherREGEN (when used in standard ‘A’-side > ‘B’-side moat crossing; your opticalRendu aside), I suspect that the sorts of things people hear with optical variations simply don’t matter with our hIghly effective ADIM (active differential isolation moat) in place.

Everyone will find out soon enough if this is true. (Well, maybe not soon enough—shipping is planned for November 15th.)

Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The SFP cage of the EtherREGEN will work with either SX or LX modules; Gigabit only. 

Just be sure you use the same type, wavelength, etc. at both ends—and of course the matching fiber cable.

As for recommendations based on sonic or other considerations: For now we’ll leave that to more extreme folks. 9_9

Frankly, based on the fact that I hear no difference between optical and copper with EtherREGEN (when used in standard ‘A’-side > ‘B’-side moat crossing; your opticalRendu aside), I suspect that the sorts of things people hear with optical variations simply don’t matter with our hIghly effective ADIM (active differential isolation moat) in place.

Everyone will find out soon enough if this is true. (Well, maybe not soon enough—shipping is planned for November 15th.)

Thank you!

@Superdad when the clock is 9.00 AM PST and the pre order open do you just have to get one in the basket to be secure or is it first when the payment have been done that you know you have one? 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
10 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well, despite the fact that we are not aiming the EtherREGEN directly at opticalRendu users, I really must correct you here. Due to the extraordinary differential isolation and reclocking, it will most always be best to have the EtherREGEN as the last device feeding the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer. If you insert a device in-between—even the best-in-class opticaModule FMC—then you reintroduce another path for leakage and new phase-noise modulation.

So for the person ( @Musikfan) you were replying to, (technically) the better arrangement options will to skip the opticModule and run copper into the EtherREGEN and optical out to the opticalRendu.

In my case, my Server is last before the DAC --connected via usb.   So to use the ERegen last before dac, I would need to use ethernet.   

As it is now, the best connection is Switch>Server>USB>DAC.   The  question will be what is the balance between having to use ethernt to DAC instead of my preferred USB.  vs.  a possibly compromised use of EtherRegen? 

35 minutes ago, Musikfan said:

One more question: does it matter if one uses a 7v, 9v or 12v power supply, and does it matter if they are 2a power supplies? I have a few extra ifi power supplies I could use.

2A at 7,9, or 12V is fine. However, the iFi iPower SMPS warts are ungrounded two-prong units.  If you use one to power the EtherREGEN, then you may benefit from using the ground-screw of our switch to ground the center-taps of the 'A'-side ports.  Please read this post all about it:

So I think you will be better off simply using the UpTone-branded, internally-ground-shunted SMPS that is supplied with every EtherREGEN. :)

35 minutes ago, wwc said:

In my case, my Server is last before the DAC --connected via usb.   So to use the ERegen last before dac, I would need to use ethernet.   

As it is now, the best connection is Switch>Server>USB>DAC.   The  question will be what is the balance between having to use ethernt to DAC instead of my preferred USB.  vs.  a possibly compromised use of EtherRegen? 

Sorry, I think you are missing the basics here.  An Ethernet DAC is not required.  In your system--as for most people--your computer is the DAC-attached device.  So you put the EtherREGEN just before that.  Thus your chain would become Switch>EtherREGEN>Server>USB>DAC.

4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

No "bespoke" inquiries necessary! :D

Overseas buyers are given a choice of 3 different shipping methods during checkout:

1) Insured International Priority Mail (that's U.S. Postal Service handing off to destination country customs office with final delivery made by your local post) -- $34; Typically 7~12 business days.

2) FedEx Express (FedEx has their own "custom cage" in many countries and either their own or a private-contract final delivery; Prior to delivery they will direct contact recipient for collection of local taxes and small brokerage fee.) -- $34; Typically 3~5 business days.

3) Express Mail International (EMS) -- $63; This is also postal service at both ends; Typically 5~8 business days.

No FedEx to Russia.

Canadians get just two choices: Priority Mail or FedEx -- $25 for either.  USA is generally via Priority Mail for $9, with other options presented as well.

All of the above rates are below our actual cost--sometimes by several dollars--especially with the  insurance we buy for every package (to our replacement cost only, not to full retail).

[Also, unlike some small audio firms I see, we do not add fees for use of credit card or PayPal. We absorb those.  Actually, we prefer--but do not require--that overseas people pay with a credit card as PayPal charges us 4.4% for international transactions--that's $30(!) we pay out of a $640+$34 shipping EtherREGEN sale.  Credit card is 2.9% fee, so at $20, that's a $10 savings to us.]

Regarding declaration for customs:

We are very experienced with international shipping and document requirements.  Every EtherREGEN shipped to outside the USA will have two copies of a commercial invoice declaring the item as a "Home use network switch" with HTS harmonized tariff code of 8517.18.

[We do not publicly discuss the customs value we declare. It is not full value. It is a fixed amount, so do not make special requests for crazy-low valuation. Nor can we declare any package as "gift" or "sample."]

Thorough. Brilliant. Amazing. Thank you

32 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Sorry, I think you are missing the basics here.  An Ethernet DAC is not required.  In your system--as for most people--your computer is the DAC-attached device.  So you put the EtherREGEN just before that.  Thus your chain would become Switch>EtherREGEN>Server>USB>DAC.

Would the optimal be switch>EtherRegen>Server>USB>ISORegen>DAC?

I have a similar setup.

1 minute ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Would the optimal be switch>EtherRegen>Server>USB>ISORegen>DAC?

I have a similar setup.

That will be very common.  Yes, improvement of USB signal integrity and impedance match into the input of the DAC remains important.  

In fact, with what we--and our beta-testers--have been hearing in our systems is that with EtherREGEN in place, variables at the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer (such as power supplies, USB output, etc.) are more audible, not less.  Again we are talking about AFTER the EtherREGEN.