IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

22 hours ago, Superdad said:

File the above as an inside peek into John's expansive mind. 9_9  But please let's not let the conversation veer into distributed clock engineering possibilities in this thread.

I actually have a lot to report on about EtherREGEN--facts, usage experience, progress details, final price, etc.  But I'm really hungry, it's been a long Monday, and tomorrow morning my assistant returns from vacation and we have a half-dozen JS-2s to pack and ship as well as other tasks to keep moving with.  So the update will have to wait until at least Wednesday.

I will say that the beta-test units will be going our to the select few (very few) on Thursday--Friday at the latest.

Hi Alex

Will the beta testers be allowed to give public reviews of the ER or will they only report back to you and John?

2 minutes ago, McNulty said:

@Superdad: could you please share if during your tests the standard and upgraded power supply for your ER were connected to the same power distributor as the power cables of your other components, such as the DAC and the power amp?

The reason I ask is that even if the quality of the power supply would not influence the performance of the ER, the standard SMPS brick might 'contaminate' the power for other components if connected to the same power distributor.  

@Superdad This tells (almost) everything  

9 hours ago, Superdad said:

a) Does an upgraded power supply improve the EtherREGEN's performance over the UpTone-branded 7.5V/36W SMPS brick that will be shipped with every unit?

b) Does running optical fiber into the 'A'-side port as the feed to EtherREGEN sound any better than running into one of the 'A'-side Gigabit RJ45 ports?

The short answer to both the above is NO.

Trying to tell this crowd a better PSU doesn't make a difference! Yeah good luck with that 😜

More seriously, great post Alex. Looking forward this product getting out there.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

15 hours ago, Bernstein said:

@Superdad This tells (almost) everything  

Intersting. Is Mean Well SMPS a power conditioner? I can understand the Mean Well SMPS is a well designed power supply and won’t introduces noises. But the video actually seems to imply that it actually reduces noises! If this is true, it would be the cheapest power conditioner in the planet.

Alex and John

I am impressed by amount of work you did to make the ER reality and working as You wanted.

Also thank you for sharing your early general SQ benefit against cisco that is current swich for many of us.

I know it is early to ask for this but some of us are in 1G and few are in 10G networks.

Do you think it is possible to build in near future the 1G to 1G or 10G / 10G across the moat ?

This could be probably done easier with 1G to 1G bacause the A side is already 1G :)

Please be so kind to let us know if this could be done In the future?

I am sure there are many who would love to pay if 1G is available.

11 hours ago, Trabb said:

Do not give up your plans.

Stand for them in difficulty and for a long time.

It’s good to be patient. It is good to have strong will.

Do not get bored and nervous reading and answering hundreds of emails, some of them from disappointed people.

It is not a shame to have technical problems or problems with suppliers.

It is not a shame to postpone launching date.

Wow! Many thanks for those supportive and encouraging words. I may print them out and post by my desk. :D

On 9/18/2019 at 2:42 PM, simon_pepper said:

Yes, you should run Product Beta testing in a private invitational only group, and may be not even on audiophilestyle.com, away from the public market forums.

You want feedback and issue raised out of sight of the market, not you are hiding issues, but a Beta testing is still part of the product development process, and the feedback from initial field trials are for you, to understand operations, resolve any found issues and finesse the product prior to market launch & introduction.

I have used ‘customer feedback sessions’ at the end of a Sprint cycle to gain input for future Springs, with ‘Show and Tell’ sessions and the customers were part of an invited ‘Customer Council’.

You could run a private Slack channel or Google Hangout chat or even a Skype Group chat to solicit the feedback from your testers, so everyone seeing the comments from the group.

Anyway good luck with this exciting phase of Product development as you prepare for launch.

Simon

Well said. I was going to chime in and support Alex on the premise that the input from beta testers should be for internal, development use only, but you nailed it, Simon! 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

20 hours ago, Superdad said:

What a day...   BETA-TEST UNITS HAVE SHIPPED!!  :D

Here's a pic of a few of them.

39517652_Betaunitsshipping.thumb.jpg.0f08176fc5d573f4ff176160848d12d4.jpg

Congrats, Alex and John! 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

On 9/18/2019 at 2:45 AM, Superdad said:

OFFICIAL FINAL EtherREGEN PRICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

After a final run through of costs, including some last items and an assessment of unit preparation and test-cycle labor, we have settled on a retail price of $640 (USD).

You dont know how happy i am with that number!

When can we reserve one of the first final versions?

After buying can we place a review like on headfi?  As i want to update my dead honest review there about my BC gear..but now with the new switch (and my new Pink Faun streamer) those two will be a marriage in heaven..ps..they look soooo tiny! My streamer is a huge monster . 😉

15 minutes ago, Pinkfaunrookie said:

You dont know how happy i am with that number!

Glad you like it!

When can we reserve one of the first final versions?

It won't be too long.  We expect to release the final production files to our PCB house this next week.  Could receive the boards about 3 weeks after that. Plus a week or so to program, test, assemble, etc.  So I am pretty comfortable saying we are about 6 weeks from first shipments.  

As for accepting orders, please refer to: 

Of course it now hits me that I need to focus on writing the web page so that once we can accurately predict the ship date we can open up to orders. (The Owner's Manual is the other big task weighing on my mind.)

After buying can we place a review like on headfi?

Sure.  We would never want to impose restrictions on what/where people discuss and review our products. :D

My streamer is a huge monster . 😉

Don't let it bite you. :P

On 9/17/2019 at 2:58 PM, Pinkfaunrookie said:

Lolz..us europeans are getting discriminated...whahahaha i have a nice Pink Faun streamer who volunteered to be a test mule also..with some Blue Circle Audio goodness..poor us...hehehehe

Good to see a fellow Blue Circle Audio fan.  Unfortunate that Gilbert semi-retired, as he was one of the most talented and, possibly the most creative audio designers I've ever encountered.  

The EtherRegen will be worth the wait. 

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
15 hours ago, Superdad said:

They all received their units this past Saturday.  Functional reports have been perfect so far.  Beta-tester's reactions to the sonics have John and I grinning from ear-to-ear. And the level of their systems run the gamut from modest to SOTA.

John gave me the final minor BoM (bill-of-materials) revisions over the weekend, and this afternoon he is taking one last (out of 100) looks at the board files to be sure everything is perfect.  In the morning I will turn everything into our board house with the production order. :D They already have all $60K+ of parts stock for the first run as I paid for all that months ago. The 4 additional capacitors that got added since the second round of beta are the same as one we already use 124 per board of, so no delay with that one.  John change the value of a few resistors to dim down both the power LED and the LEDs on the 'B'-side port (I hate bright LEDs), but those are tiny and totally generic so again, no delay added there.

That's all for now. B|

The first order will feel like waiting for the Apple Store to open...lining up 😋 to the madness 😛