IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

39 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Now back to EtherREGEN...

Received all the beta-test boards from John yesterday, put one in a case with the end plates I had machined locally, and I’m playing music!  Sounds terrific, but yesterday I was more focused on functionality testing and checking current, heat, and other things.  This weekend I will play and listen some more.

It’s been a long road—especially for John who discovered and overcame a huge number of untold engineering obstacles along the way. It has always been a serious endeavor, but having this very sophisticated little box isolating data in my own music system makes this project seem much more real. Oh happy day... :)

Mouthwatering!

9 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

You ask what would work for me?  As you are asking me personally, I'll answer you.

What would work for me is for Alex to value himself and his efforts as much as we value him.

At a broader level, Alex works hard for his money, too...and deserves to get paid for the VALUE of what he brings to us, not paid for producing the mechanical box with minimal mark-up.

The VALUE these mechanical boxes bring us is joy and wonderment. I can't put a price on it. Alex and John must do that.

In order to get us closer to what is embedded in the 1s & 0s. Alex and John have spent tens of years training and tens of thousands of hours obsessing over details to be able to create the value that the box creates.

They should charge what will compensate them for the tens of thousands of hours they spent in order to get to the place where they can create that joy and wonderment...and we need to figure out how to pay for it...if we want the value they are bringing to us.

Alex-Sorry I did not see your above post. I get it you want to move it back to the Ether Regen. Sorry.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

15 hours ago, cool_chris said:

Please let us know what is the ER SQ improvement over some swiches you have?

Also what is the server and DAC You use in this tests ?

Hope you had fantastic weekend testing your ER in action.

Uptone tend not to provide reviews of their own equipment, most probably because of the wise adage "self praise is no recommendation".

Alex, I am following this thread for almost an year on a daily basis. Now that we are approaching the end game, are you planning to develop a home made clock for the etherregen?

Thanks, 🙂

Jorge 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Thanks a lot @JohnSwenson

Coax is something I can’t really digest in a digital world...so your explanations make totally sense to either integrate a good clock inside the unit or to go the (impractical and expensive) way of developing something rather complex and without relying on proven standards. 

My understanding from the beginning is, that the clock input is needed to show the world: we can do it and we are comparable to other high end devices, but it isn’t necessarily needed. 

Looking at the future: I think the world needs a decent Roon Core from Uptone which can compete e.g. with the Antidote. Based on roon rock. I expect with your background you could redesign a mainboard and power supply to decrease noise a lot. 

Thank you John for sharing with us your ideas and challenges behind designing a clock. Remarkable... and yes I agree with Alex! Yes an ‘expansive mind’ :-).

And yes it’s time for further details on the etherregen. And of course if you need an extra beta tester I am here!

Cheers,

Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

If there is an offer of Beta testing, I am available as well.

Port B would be connected to a Naim NDS/555DR network player.

Port A’s would be UltraRendu running the SonoreUPnP Bridge (giving Roon capability to the NDS), a RPi2 running Asset UPnP server, and the connection to the ‘backend’ components upstairs (NUC running ROCK Roon Core, NAS containing the content, some 8TB of music (~6k Albums/80k tracks)

EtherRegen would be replacing a Cisco SG110-5 unmanaged switch, with a 12v/5v dual voltage LPS. Hopefully a ‘drop-in’ upgrade.

thanks,

Simon (in Dublin)

1 hour ago, Bernstein said:

Is there a technical difference driving the EtherRegen with 9V or 12V beside the different current? Maybe heat I guess...

There is a slight difference in power with voltage, but it is very small. My tests so far show somewhere around 9W, so just divide that by the voltage for the current. The range is from 7V to 12V. Whatever you have in that range that is good for 10W (that is continuous Watts, not "peak") is probably fine.

John S.

1 hour ago, Bernstein said:

Is there a technical difference driving the EtherRegen with 9V or 12V beside the different current? Maybe heat I guess...

Last week I measured EtherREGEN current draw from external power source (an UltraCap LPS-1.2 with my favorite B&K multimeter in series): 

With activity/connections to both an 'A'-side copper port and the 'B'-side port, and with an SFP module installed, draw was 0.72A with 12V and 0.92A with 9V. Draw at 7V will be somewhere about 1.25A, just out of range of the 1.1A UltraCap units.

EtherREGEN runs warm/hot at all voltages; I did not notice notice any temp difference between input voltages.  Perhaps a degree one direction or the other. I'll check sometime with my FLIR thermal camera.

Certainly no sonic difference between input voltages, but more on that in my next post...

What are your 3 good reasons not to be a $50-savings bundle? :D

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red