IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

23 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Your link doesn’t work

And I suppose you’re asking what SPF Module fits the cage of the EtherRegen ?

Lets try that link again... 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01663TTCE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3KXHMB5SA7Q9Z&psc=1

AND it probably helps if I also link to the specific Delock FMC I have:

https://www.reichelt.com/us/en/de/en/media-conv-100base-fx-sc-mm-1310nm-2km-delock-86444-p175548.html?r=1

SO one question is if the wired Ethernet port of the EtherRegen will work ok into the 100 Mbps RPi. Going back through this thread, it sounds like it will.  Let me know if I misread and it won't.

So then the other question is what would be a good optical SFP module compatible with the Delock and would the linked adapter cable work.

Better?

Greg in MIssissippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

9 hours ago, gstew said:

Lets try that link again... 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01663TTCE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3KXHMB5SA7Q9Z&psc=1

AND it probably helps if I also link to the specific Delock FMC I have:

https://www.reichelt.com/us/en/de/en/media-conv-100base-fx-sc-mm-1310nm-2km-delock-86444-p175548.html?r=1

SO one question is if the wired Ethernet port of the EtherRegen will work ok into the 100 Mbps RPi. Going back through this thread, it sounds like it will.  Let me know if I misread and it won't.

So then the other question is what would be a good optical SFP module compatible with the Delock and would the linked adapter cable work.

Better?

Greg in MIssissippi

The optical port of the linked FMC will NOT work with the SFP port of the EtherREGEN. The SFP port on the EtherREGEN is gigabit ONLY. The RJ45 jack on the FMC IS compatible with any of the 5 RJ45 jacks on the EtherREGEN.

The 4 jacks on one side are all 10/100/1000, the single port on the other side is just 100. The SFP port is JUST gigabit no matter what the SFP module is.

John S.

5 minutes ago, cool_chris said:

So there is no 1 gb across the moat ?

you can get 1gb in and out but you will not cross the moat ?

please let me know if misunderstood 

For the four 'A' side ports and the SFP port--Gigabit rate will go between them and any attached devices.

But you are correct that the 'B' side port on the other side of the moat is 10/100Mbps only (plenty even for DSD512), and data flowing across the active isolators is at 100Mbps.

15 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The optical port of the linked FMC will NOT work with the SFP port of the EtherREGEN. The SFP port on the EtherREGEN is gigabit ONLY. The RJ45 jack on the FMC IS compatible with any of the 5 RJ45 jacks on the EtherREGEN.

The 4 jacks on one side are all 10/100/1000, the single port on the other side is just 100. The SFP port is JUST gigabit no matter what the SFP module is.

John S.

Thanks John (and Alex for your additional clarification). 

So I can connect any of the RJ45 ports on the EtherREGEN to the RPi ok. Kewl.

AND if I got a gigabit optical FMC, I could use that to connect to the optical port, correct? 

Not sure if it'll be worth it, just checking.

Greg

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

3 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

Would the EtherRegen isolate in such a way, that Ethernet cable differences are negligible on clean side? Lack of isolation is one of the biggest reasons that we can hear differences in cables....

Setting aside that we are avoiding the term "clean side" (as the design is rather symmetrical), potential cable differences will be lessened on the upstream side of the isolation moat.  That is opposite of the downstream side you are calling the "clean side."  

The point being that what comes before the isolation--and final clocking "out" to the DAC-connected device--is what will matter much less.  But the cable from that--typically the lone 'B"-side port--will be the one that still matters.  Hence we suggest keeping the EtherREGEN close to the DAC-connected Ethernet renderer (or Ethernet DAC) and using a short, high-quality cable for that connection.

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Lest anyone think the above is a "simple" switch:

You are looking at a boatload of innovative engineering and techniques never previously applied to an Ethernet switch.

And the board you see, in 250 unit runs, will cost us about $250 each--a full $200 of which are parts on the top of the board. Those 10GHz-capable ultra-low-jitter flip-flops, 600MHz LVDS isolators, clock synth, and pile of best-of-breed regulators don't come cheap!

9_9

Impressive Alex - thanks for sharing.

But are we there yet, dad?

(ducking)

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Looking really good, Alex! Bet you're very pleased with how things are coming along. 

best,

Stephen aka PC

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

Congratulations on the progress.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

When you have time, would you give more specific information about the need for an external clock, given the ER improves timing through its timing mechanisms.. 

Will you be recommending an external clock and specific cables? Will there be an upTone external clock?

BTW, looking at the case end mockups, one side says "B Port Output"...makes it seem like there is a  designated input and output pathway and my ( maybe mistaken understanding) is there is no set input and output pathway. 

Thank you

G

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

1 hour ago, thotdoc said:

looking at the case end mockups, one side says "B Port Output"

... what about "1Gb ports" and "10/100Mb port" instead, Alex? ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!