IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

Excited for this product. I know quite a few people are using various software upstream to upsample audio to highest data rate that their DACs can handle, for example DSD512 and even 32bit 768khz PCM. And this is sent over the network to the player/renderer and DAC.

i know the raw data for doing this is quite large, like up to 60GB for an album.

So the question is, will a 10/100 Mbps switch easily handle streaming of substantially upsampled data? Thoretically probably Ok, but are there practical limits to steady streaming of this sort of data?

16 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

I believe the upsampling process is further downstream, so no bearing on the switch. Wiling to learn of an opposing scenario. 

Im perhaps naively assuming that the EtherRegen should be placed as the last link before the player/renderer(?)

Also assuming that upsampling would be done on the server and not in the client, and that the upsampled data would be passed through over the network to the last link with the EtherRegen?

(HQPlayer and LMS are like this, Roon?)

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

100Mbit Ethernet can easily handle 2 channels of DSD512. If you want to do 8 channels of DSD512, forget it, but two is fine. As long as the DSD512 is the only connection going over that interface. You can have all kinds of stuff going over the gigabit connections on the other side, it is just the "clean" connection that is limited to 100Mbit.

And yes, it is assumed that the clean port of the etherRegen will be the last device plugged into the player/renderer, hence there should be no over traffic on that connection.

John S.

Thanks for this info. It also answers my next question about streaming 4K video over the other gigabit ports at the same time. Sounds like it will. Thanks again. Ready to order! ?

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

100Mbps is more than twice the data rate of even DSD1024!  So no problem. Know of any DACs that run that?  9_9

Not yet, not yet. But 5 years ago I couldn’t even imagine people would ever be playing DSD512. But in 5 years time maybe the EtherRegen 2.0 will be out then. ?

• 1 month later...
  • Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!

@Superdad

Sorry if Ive missed it but what is the trigger point for you shipping the first units out?

Not that it affects me, but the whole process is fascinating.

That is, will you wait until all of the first batch are built before shipping any?

Or if 50 are ready ship those and ship another batch a few days later?

What are the hurdles to shipping any right now?

User manuals? Screws? Labor availability? Code?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...