IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

32 minutes ago, diecaster said:

This external clock stuff is BS anyway so I am surprised that you decided to add a feature that hardly anyone would use. All it does is make the switch more expensive and make it look like you think external clocks actually matter on an Ethernet switch.

If anything, having the external clock option makes me LESS likely to buy the switch.

Hi @Superdad,

Alex I'm not attacking but providing a different perspective and quoting Diecaster as my view is the polar opposite of his.

I have 3k invested in a sCLK-OCX10 which makes a great difference in my USB path.

It's 75 ohm so if your EtherRegen isn't able to support that then you've just solved a purchasing decision for me and SoTM are far more likely to get my money because sadly the Uptone switch no longer works for me.

I may well be an edge case but I'm also not alone.

Sorry if this is a headache for you but that's my perspective.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

46 minutes ago, diecaster said:

This word clock stuff is stupid if you buy stuff with good clocks. My DAC, for example, ignores all external clocks on all interfaces. 

I don't want to go too far off topic but this thread is about a network switch with better clocking so I'm going to refute the above on three counts.

1. The clocking in the TX-USBultra made an immediate audible improvement. (Replacing the LPS-1 with the LPS-1.2 improved it again ?)

2. Adding the sCLK-OCX10 lifted it even further.

3. I've discussed this with Ted Smith and he didn't say the Directstream was immune to clocking upstream.

The Directstream is a great DAC but improvements upstream help it perform even better. Which is why we're on this thread with high hopes for what Alex and John might manage!

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

My personal leanings are against it, when we go with a different case we have not used before, there are ALWAYS several iterations of case and board that have to be done in order to get everything just right. This adds a lot of development cost AND a couple months to the delivery time. Do you guys REALLY want that?

John S.

Thanks John for the detailed explanation.

I'd think that no one wants to delay it a couple months.

I'd also guess that 50ohms is the way to go as I got the sense previously that I was in the minority with my 75ohm clock.

I guess I'll wait to see if you guys knock it out the park sufficiently to render the clock input unnecessary.

That or whether it plays nicely before or after my potential SoTM switch ?

Cheers,

Alan

38 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

a 50 vs. 75 poll is a good idea - and a likely guess is that many of the potential buyers are on this site...

or a quick market analysis of which DACs have which only have one that are likely candidates could be done

- the latter is something a biz school intern could do...

I vote 75.

But then I would. Being in the minority does not diminish my democratic right.

Like I voted against Brexit.

Like I'd have voted against Trump.

Er, eh, well.....

It's nice to be asked I guess ?

4 minutes ago, barrows said:

It makes a difference because your USB path does not have good clocks.  

Hi Barrows,

Sorry but I don't follow this. My USB path has the TX-USBultra and the sCLK-OCX10 so that's some fairly great clocking AFAIK.

I'm curious about the EtherRegen and if it performs without needing an external clock the that's brilliant. Just not sure what you meant?

Cheers,

Alan

17 minutes ago, barrows said:

I am saying that adding the sCLK made a difference because the onboard clock of the TX-USB was not very good.  Point being that the UpTone switch will already have a very good onboard clock.  Sure, the onboard clock will not be as good as a Mutec or (maybe) sCLK, but given the degradation of the cable, and connections involved in using an external clock, it is unlikely that by the time the clock arrives at its destination it will be any better than the internal clock.

The most likely outcome is that folks using the UpTone switch will be able to sell off all there various external paraphernalia and still get better performance without all those boxes and additional power supplies...  

Interesting and more your wheelhouse than mine so I'm not gonna argue with you. But I assumed part of the reason the TX-USBultra was so widely acclaimed was the improved clocking.

So is the TX clocking not that great or do you mean that Alex & John are likely to use better clocks?

Thanks,

Alan

My apologies Alex.

20 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I have to admit that in the last couple of weeks we seem to be seeing more requests for 75 ohm than 50 ohm, so 75 might turn out to be the default.  We really don't care either way--other than we would like to please as many as possible of the minority of people who will actually utilize the 10MHz reference clock input.  

So yes, we might take a poll as we get closer to releasing the board order into production.  But let's no relight the discussion of the choice here just yet.  I'd sooner create a separate thread that is a poll that people click on.  We'll get a much more accurate sense of it that way.:)

Hi Alex,

I stick by my earlier assessment that there seem to be more 50ohm clock and cable owners out there, so I suspect it's just that us 75ohm-ers live life in the fast lane and are just a bit more Uptone ? 

Cheers,

Alan

1 hour ago, joeling said:

Sorry, I am a bit late to the game. When will this become available ?

Last I saw I think Alex was talking about February or March - I think

Cheers,

Alan

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: Early general details [We are late but getting closer! ;-)]
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Superdad said:

always 9:00 a.m. PST, usually a Tuesday

Sorry Alex but PST isn't going to work for me. I can just about cope with EST due to the pesky New York types I deal with. But I'd prefer GMT, or real time as we call it here in the centre of the known universe!

Whilst we're at it I'm not crazy about Tuesdays.....😋

Cheers,

Alan

26 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Only through an accident of geography!

Accident of geography, providence, who's to say. All we know is that we're better than you!

(I'd better make it clear that's a joke in these Brexit/Trump days of intolerance)

Alex all I'm saying is SoTM are on KST which is 16 hours ahead of PST! Uh huh. Food for thought....

😘

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Superdad said:

a) Does an upgraded power supply improve the EtherREGEN's performance over the UpTone-branded 7.5V/36W SMPS brick that will be shipped with every unit?

b) Does running optical fiber into the 'A'-side port as the feed to EtherREGEN sound any better than running into one of the 'A'-side Gigabit RJ45 ports?

The short answer to both the above is NO.

Trying to tell this crowd a better PSU doesn't make a difference! Yeah good luck with that 😜

More seriously, great post Alex. Looking forward this product getting out there.

Cheers,

Alan

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, fpalm69 said:

about NOT using a shield-tied shell on the RJ45 connectors

Apologies if this has been answered in the 130 pages now dedicated to the ER, but how do we tell if a LAN cable is shield tied or not?

Is this the same as JSSG / JSSG360 or Lush style cables? Or is there something else I should be looking at.

Alex - a locked FAQ thread or sticky might be helpful as its 130 pages so far and that's surely set to rise substantially.

Cheers,

Alan