IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@John S,

Please bear with my question again.  If a switch is already grounded (shunted?  Which is the correct term), do I still need to use LAN cables that do not use metal caps at both ends?

I'm told that plastic caps should be used but usually high quality RJ45 caps are with metals.

On 2/8/2019 at 3:46 AM, JohnSwenson said:

It turns out that "normally" there is a minimum length of Ethernet cable  of 1 meter. The PHYs don't work if there is less capacitance  than you get from one meter of cable. BUT since I found out about this I have been adding that amount of capacitance on the boards so it doesn't matter. The EtherRegen will definitely have the caps so there will be no minimum cable length.

As to maximum cable length the spec is 100 meters. The longer the cable length the worse the signal integrity. For the EtherRegen the only place that matters is the connection from the EtherRegen to your renderer. On the other side it does not matter. So you want to keep the EtherRegen near the renderer and use a short cable between them. On the other side you can have a long cable. I'm not sure I would go for exactly 100M. I would probably give it a little margin to make sure things work.

John S.

Thank you John for your reply. 

Given that 1m is minimum due to the capacitance requirement, is it advisable to have a 1.2 m cable, say?  Just for the reason of safety margin or the 1m length has already included the safety margin. 

Not sure if all LAN cables are identical in terms of capacitance per unit length.  Are the capacitance CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6, ... dependent?

3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

For the EtherRegen there is no requirement for minimum length. You can run down to a couple inches on any of the RJ45 ports.

OTHER devices (not connected to the EtherRegen) may or may not have this minimum length issue.

I checked a bunch of spec sheets for Belden cables a while back and they all had similar capacitance figures. If those are representative of other cables then it probably doesn't matter much what type of cable it is. I can't tell you if some $1000 per foot cable has the same capacitance as Belden cable, the $1000 per foot guys usually don't give hardly any specs and I'm not about to spend my life measuring them.

John S.

Thank you John.  $1000 per foot is never my target.  What I have been used are simple CAT5, CAT5e and CAT6.  The very reasonable price Supra CAT 8 is in my radar too but I doubt if there is a proper defined standard for the CAT8.  Hence my question.

It seems that my previous post has upset you a bit.  If so, please accept my apology.

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: Early general details [We are late but getting closer! ;-)]
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Hello Alex.

Trying to understand if this design is meant for an application such as mine: I have a regular PC running Roon in a bedroom, my audio PC on the rack running HQPlayer and connected thru USB to a multichannel DAC. Both PCs connect thru CAT6 to the router, as does the internet service provider modem.

Is the etherRegen meant to be connected to the modem and Roon PC on the dirty side and the AudioPC on the clean side?

Regards

Horacio

Is your modem also a router?  For home users, switch should be connected to a router in general as the simplest solution. 

5 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

The Internet service provider's modem is set to bridged mode and connects to the router thru cat6. The Roon PC and HQPlayer PC also connect to the same router thru cat6 each. 

If so, the switch should connect to ur router and the ROON and HQP PC should connect to the switch.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, thyname said:

‘Like what?

I can find at least two products in the AS forum.  Definitely not from Uptone.  Will not name them here but the two products are pretty infamous, MPOV, and you can see people losing patience rightly, again MPOV.

8 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Infamous? Are you sure?

Infamous = known for bad quality....Did you you mean 'renown' or or 'well-known'?

I mean infamous for "to wait for the shipment forever".  Probably well-known is a better wording but this word sounds too positive to me.