IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

Alex / John (or anyone more networking-aware than I am who can answer...),

I'm as eager as anyone to get my hands on the EtherRegen.

My audio-only computer audio setups are fairly simple yet moderately refined... RPi 2B endpoint with various I2S-connected DACs, receiving Delock FMC, sending Trendnet FMC, ZyXEL switch, Zotax ZBox PI320-W2 nano-PC as a music-file server, and a WiFi router configured as a Wifi endpoint to provide wireless control connectivity. No streaming, no internet connection at all, all devices have linear supplies, somewhat optimized (but primative compared to many of the recently hot setups).

I've started taking a look at what configurations I'll try at first. I can see 3 useful configurations:

- Moving the Delock FMC to the sending side and using the EtherRegen as a final optical to wired ethernet converter, retaining the ZyXEL switch and keeping everything else as before.

- Removing the optical links entirely and replacing the ZyXEL switch with the EtherRegen where the sole "B" side port would provide the Ethernet connection the RPi and everything else is connected to the "A" side.

I have 2 questions about using the EtherRegen in these ways:

1. Of course the RPi 2B is limted to 100Base-T 100 Mbps. I'm assuming the wired ports in the EtherRegen will auto-negotiate down to this, but thought I'd ask to be sure. Truth?

2. To use the EtherRegen as an optical networking endpoint, I'll need an appropriate SFP optical module and an adapter cable. I believe this adapter cable will suffice to go between the DeLocks and an appropriate SFP optical module:

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01663TTCE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3KXHMB5SA7Q9Z&psc=1

BUT what SFP optical module will work ok?

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

23 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Your link doesn’t work

And I suppose you’re asking what SPF Module fits the cage of the EtherRegen ?

Lets try that link again... 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01663TTCE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3KXHMB5SA7Q9Z&psc=1

AND it probably helps if I also link to the specific Delock FMC I have:

https://www.reichelt.com/us/en/de/en/media-conv-100base-fx-sc-mm-1310nm-2km-delock-86444-p175548.html?r=1

SO one question is if the wired Ethernet port of the EtherRegen will work ok into the 100 Mbps RPi. Going back through this thread, it sounds like it will.  Let me know if I misread and it won't.

So then the other question is what would be a good optical SFP module compatible with the Delock and would the linked adapter cable work.

Better?

Greg in MIssissippi

Everything Matters!

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

15 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The optical port of the linked FMC will NOT work with the SFP port of the EtherREGEN. The SFP port on the EtherREGEN is gigabit ONLY. The RJ45 jack on the FMC IS compatible with any of the 5 RJ45 jacks on the EtherREGEN.

The 4 jacks on one side are all 10/100/1000, the single port on the other side is just 100. The SFP port is JUST gigabit no matter what the SFP module is.

John S.

Thanks John (and Alex for your additional clarification). 

So I can connect any of the RJ45 ports on the EtherREGEN to the RPi ok. Kewl.

AND if I got a gigabit optical FMC, I could use that to connect to the optical port, correct? 

Not sure if it'll be worth it, just checking.

Greg

Everything Matters!

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
On 7/17/2019 at 1:57 AM, JohnSwenson said:

During the development of the opticalRendu this WAS a serious problem, note the WAS, it has been fixed a LONG time ago so it is no longer an issue, you can now use a 2inch cable if you want to.

End of story, it is NOT an issue with any of the products Sonore ships.

John S.

@Superdad...

Might this comment from John in one of the Sonore threads possibly mean we'll see an EtherPCB to go with our EtherRegens?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

BUMMER on the EtherPCB!

Consider it a request!

HURRAH on the EtherRegen price.

$$$'s are itching a hole in my bank account waiting to buy one!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

• 1 month later...

John and/or Alex,

I just re-read the great description a few posts above and had a thought. Will the "four Gigabit "dirty-side" RJ45 Ethernet "input" jacks" connect to a non-Gigabit source? I know from a previous answer the SFP module is Gigabit only... will I have to have a Gigabit source to connect to the "dirty-side" RJ5 jacks?

Likely a dumb question for those who know more about networking than I (and I thought I could get along ok, but am learning there's a LOT I haven't encountered yet).

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, fpalm69 said:

I found several 6 inch (0.5ft.) Ethernet cables on Amazon.  Went with the StarTech brand and YES, I noticed improved SQ over the 1M Supra it replaced.  This is between the EtherREGEN and the Roon Nucleus.

I like Supra cables and use them throughout my system - USB & power cables.  Good tip on modifying the Supra Cat8 to remove the shield.  I'll give that a try.

We're these 6" StarTech cables Cat6, Cat6A, or something else?

Thx!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!