IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

12 minutes ago, wwc said:

Would it be advantageous to substitute your current setup ( NUC/Roon andSOtM streamer) with the Roon Nucleus+?  That way you only have one ethernet port (the optimized clean one) to use

in your Roon streaming network.

My understanding is that the Nucleus is an overpriced NUC ?

And you would if possible hide both away and only use your streamer (=endpoint) next to your DAC. 

Anyway it’s a bit off topic. 

What we we don’t know yet is if there will be endpoints available with good fiber interfaces and if the Uptone Switch also will reclock the fiber output, so it can be looked upon as equal to that clean port. But my understanding is that it will not. 

21 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Well, here's an idea: how about making a well made splitter adapter for after the clean port out?

Shall this be an active or passive device ?

If active, you purchase two EtherRegen. If passive, I’m not sure if it requires a gigabyte port in with 8 wires active, as a spitter can only use 4 wires and thus is either 10 or 100. 

A4D5F6DF-AC03-48C9-954B-F6AF2EA378F3.jpegØ

46738F2E-FED6-402F-BC7F-A882D39ACAAB.jpeg

3 minutes ago, wwc said:

As the Nucleus+ is a combined server/streamer, I think it's a comparable price to a NUC server/SOtM streamer combo.

Wouldn't it be optimal to use a single unit like Nucleus+ from the single "clean" EtherRegen switch port rather than two ports (one being "dirty" for a separate server and streamer  ?   That is, I understand your setup correctly...

There is a long thread somewhere discussing the benefits of splitting computers, DAC’s and endpoints. 

Some (most?) advice against.

I think @barrows has many good posts about this topic. Search his posts. 

My personal opinion is to use SonicTransporter i5, as you then also get the possibility to use HQPlayer and most likely Roon extensions. (SW update soon V 2.6). 

I’m sure if you go for Nucleus, you will probably have a very good result as well. 

I don’t expect feeding both the SonicTransporter and the Endpoint with a clean port, (two EtherRegen) will have any benefit, but I could be wrong. 

9 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Passive I suppose. Isn't 10/100 enough for the rends and most music streaming?

Well only John can answer if the clean port will use 4 or 8 wires, but we know it already is a 100, so I assume it’s 4, and then a spitter can’t be used. 

Maybe also you can can create other unwanted issues as well, as you must be 100% sure the equipment you connect to the splitter doesn’t interfere with each other. 

I think you rather purchase 2 switches ?

@JohnSwenson

Alex has already stated that the SFP port will be on the ‘’dirty’’ side. 

Will adding better clock to the SFP port also raise the cost quite much ?

And if so, could it the be looked at as equal to the clean RJ45 port ?

Or is it just as simple that your post above with raised cost and more current applies to the SFP port as well ?

I guess a clean expensive optinal SFP module that can be ordered separately and field mounted is not an option either ?

Of cause there may not be any reason for doing this unless your others designs at a later stage will be upgraded with SFP ports. 

And we dont yet know if propper designed fiber interfaces would add much SQ. 

11 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

My conclusion is that these are going to be cheap, right?  ?

Price is indicated in this thread first post. 

I wouldn’t say cheap, but if the the result of adding the EtherRegen in front of your last network device in the chain add a good lift in SQ, maybe the indicated price is OK.

Personally I rather woukd like to see first number start with the digit 2 ?

I’m still wondering if it instead woukd be better (and possible) or at least equal, to add the cleaning technology inside the UltraRendu ?

I don’t expect that to be answered. Only time, like at least a year from now can tell. 

What may could be answered is if we could expect the effects of the clean port to be dependent of how well the network interface in the reviving devices is done. 

@thyname

Yes that’s what John has been saying in another post as well. 

If you decide to use any of ultracaps LPS from Uptone, you will have to do some JSGT in addition.

Either earth the minus barrel or use a special supplied ground point on the chassis. 

Actally I had misunderstood the JSGT myself with those named switches in the other thread. So it turned out in addition to internally do the shunt of the Meanwell supplied withe the LPS-1, I also had to ground the minus of the input voltage of my Cisco SG100D-08. 

In addition it seems that my switch may not be the same John tested, so I may not have any blockages at all ?

Mine has plastic cover. 

D63D0DF3-1B7B-4B18-B4B3-7437D13A4E2E.jpeg

8 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

It's 75 ohm so if your EtherRegen isn't able to support that then you've just solved a purchasing decision for me and SoTM are far more likely to get my money because sadly the Uptone switch no longer works for me.

You wont sleep before you have tried both options ?

9 minutes ago, audiojerry said:

But knowing how effective Uptone's products have been in the past, and how terrific Uptone treats its customers, I will not hesitate to give the new Ether a try.    

.....Just wait until you hear the price ?

I’m afraid we may pass $500.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

How difficult would it be for someone reasonably skilled to replace the connector and termination resistor?

Very ?

All these parts shall fit into the same box as LPS and UltraRendu is using. 

I don’t expect normal resistors to be used.

It’s  these miniature components. Whatever they are called.

If John or Alex was capable of doing a few 75 Ohm boards manual, at a extra cost of, let’s say $200. (Yes quite high), and if they had the time in addition, (which it seems they haven’t), yes probably, but my understanding is it’s almost impossible to do this kind of work.

I think John built his own machine for assembly prototypes. It’s described in another tread with video. 

But you will probably find someone willing to try. I think similar has been done with the Singxer SU-1 modification.

Is it worth the effort before someone has tested this out with a very good master clock ? And very expensive cables as well. 

5 hours ago, lmitche said:

Or is the SFP on the dirty side and the clean side is copper only? This is not stated directly in John's post above.

If you read the whole thread, the SFP is on same side as the 1GB interface RJ45 ports. There is only one superclean port and it’s 10/100 only.

If John develops a UltraRendu with SFP, which I’m not sure make any sence, then you may request a superclean SFP. However that may not be straightforward. 

Technical it’s nothing stopping John developing a Rendu with the network cleaning technology included in the Rendu. Commercial it may be a challenge. 

As is he could make a Rendu with a LPS-1.2 inside, with or without SMPS integrated as well, but as the Signature Rendu SE already has proven, a normal PS is probably better. 

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Ummm...  By definition an optical interface is already super clean, only data travels on it, no noise.

Looking forward to a Signature Rendu SE MKll with optical interface ?

If your statement is correct, we won’t be needing the EtherRegen. Only optical interfaces on the streamers. Then there for sure will be an UltraRendu MKll in a future.  Just exchange the RJ45 with a SPF. I don’t think it’s that simple and easy. 

My understanding is that John’s design reclocks and clean up phase noice etc.

Several unique digital cleaning techniques, in addition to the leakage blocking.

44 minutes ago, Arpiben said:

Adding the optical Ethernet interface at DAC level,yes. Keeping only USB and SPDIF for connectivity issues.

Well if so what is the the purpose to the streamer ?

I’m not getting the logic with a streamer input and output is both a SFP.