IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

As to the questions on PoE, it will not support PoE in any form. PoE works by running  very high voltage low current DC over the Ethernet wires (the wires are thin so it has to be low current), this requires very high ratio switching DC/DC converters on both ends. The converters are NOT known for being low noise. The whole purpose of this switch is to make things as low noise as possible, throwing in PoE would completely destroy that.

John S.

11 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Shall this be an active or passive device ?

If active, you purchase two EtherRegen. If passive, I’m not sure if it requires a gigabyte port in with 8 wires active, as a spitter can only use 4 wires and thus is either 10 or 100. 

A4D5F6DF-AC03-48C9-954B-F6AF2EA378F3.jpegØ

46738F2E-FED6-402F-BC7F-A882D39ACAAB.jpeg

This is not really a splitter. Note all the wires stay separate. 10/100 takes 2 pairs and standard Ethernet cable has 4 pairs, thus two of the pairs are not used. This device interleaves the two separate 10/100 circuits and puts them on one cable, they stay two independent circuits.  The only reason for doing this is if you already have a single Ethernet cable in the wall and you want to run two 10/100 circuits, you have one of these on each end of the single cable, thus you get two separate circuits without having to run a new cable in the wall.

Note this only works for 10/100, gigabit uses all 4 pairs, thus there are no unused pairs in the cable.

John S.

11 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Well only John can answer if the clean port will use 4 or 8 wires, but we know it already is a 100, so I assume it’s 4, and then a spitter can’t be used. 

Maybe also you can can create other unwanted issues as well, as you must be 100% sure the equipment you connect to the splitter doesn’t interfere with each other. 

I think you rather purchase 2 switches ?

There is no such thing as a passive Ethernet Splitter, the only way to get data from one port to two ports is a switch. And even that doesn't logically send the same data to the endpoints, the software must send the data to one, then to the other. (It CAN be done if your protocol is using multicast packets, that is pretty rare and the software on both ends has to be written for it.)

The upshot is, there is no easy way to "duplicate" the single clean port, it needs to be a seperate port on the switch fabric. Doing this for our switch would essentially double the electronics, you couldn't even keep the same power supply, since it would take double the current to do that, there would be too much stuff to fit in the same box, so it would take a bigger case. The net result is that this switch with two clean ports would cost double what the single one costs, and force everybody to pay double when very few people really need two clean ports. If you really need two clean ports, get two. I'm certainly not going to spend the time and money to make TWO separate designs, one with 1 clean port and one with 2 clean ports. That is three times the effort of just doing the single clean port project.

John S.

13 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@JohnSwenson

Alex has already stated that the SFP port will be on the ‘’dirty’’ side. 

Will adding better clock to the SFP port also raise the cost quite much ?

And if so, could it the be looked at as equal to the clean RJ45 port ?

Or is it just as simple that your post above with raised cost and more current applies to the SFP port as well ?

I guess a clean expensive optinal SFP module that can be ordered separately and field mounted is not an option either ?

Of cause there may not be any reason for doing this unless your others designs at a later stage will be upgraded with SFP ports. 

And we dont yet know if propper designed fiber interfaces would add much SQ. 

The switch fabric is already getting the same clock as the clean side, so I'm not sure what this is all about. The SFP cage in this switch was never designed to be a "clean" side port. Functionally it is the same as the other "dirty" side ports.

Since the switch fabric is getting a VERY low phase noise clock anyway, taking a signal in and out of two dirty side ports is essentially the same as other companies that are doing "audiophile switches". The SFP port is no different in this regard.

Sticking a copper module into the SFP port does NOT make it a clean port. The big special part about the clean port is reduction of clocking noise from upstream network devices, this ONLY applies to the clean port, NOT to any of the dirty ports and since the SFP port is just another dirty port, it does not apply to the SFP port.

Again I'm not quite sure what you are asking, adding another SFP port would again raise the price significantly, but not as much as another clean port. If you add a second clean port, then adding a second dirty SFP port would be trivial since you already have a bigger case and beefier PS etc.

Obviously I'm not explaining this properly, but I don't know how better to do it.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, audiojerry said:

I hope discussion of this topic hasn't stopped yet, because I have a question that may not have been covered. 

Is this upcoming switch going to be wireless?

Is this a dumb rookie question? I'm asking because my audio system is not on the same floor as my modem and router. My PS Audio DSJ has a network bridge that has ethernet and i2s input. The only way to use ethernet would be from a wireless bridge. Would I need to have my cable company run a second cable to my audio room?  

Our new switch will NOT be wireless.

You CAN buy inexpensive wireless bridge boxes that have WiFi and a regular Ethernet jack on the same box. They do not cost very much and should work very well with the new switch. Just plug a regular Ethernet cable between the bridge and the switch.

A bunch of companies make these, I personally have used the TrendNet ones and they work well. They frequently come as multiple use boxes so may not be called a "bridge" but that is one of the modes they can be used in. a lot of these are called a WAP (Wireless Access Point) and the bridge mode may be called "client mode" in some of them.

John S.

Yes,

the SFP port is Gigabit. It supports SFP speed negotiation, but what you plug into it has to also support speed negotiation if you want to run slower than Gigabit. Not all modules do. When it powers up it is running Gigabit, if the module supports speed negotiation and wants to run slower it will do so.

Note that the SFP port is not the "clean port", it is essentially the same as the other Ethernet ports.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, nonesup said:

I currently have an AQVox switch, a Melco N1ZH60-2 (double RJ45 port) and a Lumin A1. Connection is from AQVox to Melco and from the second port RJ 45 to Lumin. I deduce from your answer that using your switch you should connect Melco to the dirty port of Uptone and the Clean Port of Uptone to Lumin, better than Clean Port from Uptone to Melco and second port from Melco to Lumin?

Correct, you want the clean port to be the last thing going into the Ethernet jack of whatever is the last Ethernet point in the audio chain.

John S.

On the SFP modules, it is gigabit only. Most of the optical modules  are already gigabit only, but the Ethernet interface SFP modules come in two flavors, gigabit only OR 10/100/1000. The 10/100/1000 will not work with this switch. The protocol is different, I chose to use the protocol that works with the optical SFP modules since most people want to use it that way.

The devices with SFP cages from some companies will only work with "compatible" SFP modules. There is no electrical difference, the modules come encoded with the name of the company (Cisco etc) and the device checks that name and if it doesn't match it refuses to connect.

I refuse to play such games so I don't check for the name at all, so you can use any module that meets the protocol.

John S.

5 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi John

If someone were to use a pair of EtherREGEN's as a pair of FMC's... with an LPS-1.2 on the most downstream FMC... 

...How does this leakage compare with someone using a single EtherREGEN + Uptone grounded SMPS, in your own personal 'preliminary' measurements so far... I'm not asking for published measurements yet, but I'm sure you've compared in your own personal measurements?

i.e. is the isolation as good as optical, in your early findings?

I don't quite understand the question.

The high impedance leakage comes in from an electrical connection network connection. With optical there is none.

At this point we don't know how much high impedance leakage attenuation occurs through the EtherRegen circuits. There will be some, but it will not be absolute, the high impedance leakage is very difficult to block. The low impedance leakage attenuation will be very high (I don't know for sure what it will be, but it will be quite high, I expect over 100dB)

Since you are talking about an optical connection, there is none coming over the network connection, so the only leakage is coming in over the power supply. So your question is really about, "what is the leakage difference between the UA SMPS and an LPS-1.2".

The ground shunt on the UA SMPS drops the high impedance leakage a lot, about 80 dB but does not touch the low impedance leakage. The LPS1-2 attenuates the low impedance leakage by about 120dB (factor of a million) and significantly less than that for high impedance leakage. The combination of the shunted SMPS and the LPS-1.2 attenuates BOTH high and low impedance leakage by at least 120dB.

So for an optical network connection, the total leakage attenuation through the EteherRegen (including network and PS) is going to be very large for both supplies, at least 120dB attenuation for both types of leakage. With the LPS-1.2 there is theoretically higher attenuation, but in practice there will always be enough "sneak paths" in any electronic circuit that there will probably not be that much difference.

i hope that answers the question.

John S.

50 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi John, this answers my question (I think).

So the isolation method of the EtherREGEN (looking at the 'clean' output) won't be quite as good as optical?

I guess the next question is did you consider optical isolation inside the EtherRegen itself, to isolate the upstream electrical network connections? As this totally blocks the leakage of the upstream electrical network connection (the same way an expensive pair of EtherRegen's + fibre optic cable connection would). 

The problem is not the signal isolators, they are extremely good, it is the power supplies. We didn't really want to build two LPS-1.2s into every switch, this would make it SO expensive, large, power hungry etc that it wouldn't be a viable product.

We are working on a separate isolating supply between the two sides. This has not been finalized at this point, there is a lot of work to go on this. We can get extremely high isolation for low impedance leakage, but the high impedance leakage is tough to block in a power supply. That is why we are using the shunted supply, to shunt the high impedance leakage before it gets to circuits.

John S.