IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well the clocking in our switch is much more sophisticated than is typical as:

a) we have to pass the clock back across the isolation moat;

b) more than one frequency is used.

That is all I want to say about the clocking architecture at this time.

As for use of an OCXO: As John has written about this, cheap OCXOs are no better (often worse) than a good XO--one needs to spend hundreds (at OEM pricing) to get a really good OCXO.  And for data clocks (for USB, Ethernet, or processors), such is total overkill.  Save really great clocks for the DAC audio clock(s).  Even the clock boards in the SOtM units don't use a OCXO as a reference for the SiLabs synthesizer chip. 

Besides, this switch--and the issues we are tackling--is about far more than just clocking...9_9

Hi Alex,

Well - I am going to defer to John's expertise on this. Major kudos to him and you for trying to demystify this space. The audiophile switch market is heating up, and it will be interesting to contrast what you guys come up with versus other approaches:

1. SOtM-modded switches, slaved to sCLK-EX on another box, in turn fed by an expensive OCXO 10 MHz reference clock
  2. SOtM's impending standalone switch (details unknown)
  3. Linear Solutions switch (OCXO in situ, plus external LPS)

I have no horse in this race. I just know how much I love the sound quality of config #1, which is what I currently have. If you guys can deliver that or better at a fraction of the cost, you'll have a major winner!

10 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The problem is that in order to have both a 50 and 75 external input you need both a 50 and 75 BNC jack. There is no way to properly electrically implement both with one jack. Any such approach will degrade the signal, I have a feeling those that want to use multi thousand dollar external clocks will NOT want to have the circuit deliberately degrade the signal! Thus in order to do it we will need to have both jacks. The big problem is there is no room for both jacks on the case we have been planning for, to do it would mean going to a larger enclosure which will cost more money, not just for the extra parts, but for the enclosure and larger board.

There is a good possibility that traces on the board will wind up being longer because of the larger board, possibly slightly degrading performance.  Is it worth it?

My personal leanings are against it, when we go with a different case we have not used before, there are ALWAYS several iterations of case and board that have to be done in order to get everything just right. This adds a lot of development cost AND a couple months to the delivery time. Do you guys REALLY want that?

John S.

You're the manufacturer. It's up to you to decide what you can deliver, and what tradeoffs you need to make to do so.

Obviously, as customers, we want the best performance AND ultimate flexibility. That doesn't make us bad people. It's what customers do!

If you can deliver only one impedance, then pick one (take a poll, for example) and do it - and accept the fact that perhaps some customers will regard that as a showstopper. That's life. You're not going to able to please everybody.

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thanks Jud.  The Banff Springs Hotel (first opened in 1888!) is where we are staying. It's very romantic, close to all three of the big ski parks, and Banff is a really cute town by the Bow river. My wife's birthday is also this weekend and since I am terrible at planning gifts, I'll likely just take her shopping.  I think she wants ski boots. 9_9

2038885442_BanffSpringsHotel.thumb.jpeg.7d6f42e4119ddee140f9c28dcdbaea73.jpeg

I love this place. We stayed here 2 summers ago, and it was just gorgeous. It truly is a castle when you're inside!

Happy anniversary!

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: Early general details [We are late but getting closer! ;-)]
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Well yes, power quality is what I am after. The claim was that the EtherRegen was symmetric suggesting one side was as clean as the other. As I understand there is one power input, and there is galvanic isolation from one side to the other, I was curious if power quality is the same on both sides.

In other words, if I connect two devices, will it matter which side faces the DAC vs. the other?

Thinking further, and power aside, is the clocking symmetric?

I appreciate that this is mostly theoretical as no one has heard the ISO Regen yet. Some of this may be proprietary as well.

+1

I have been wondering the same. I certainly formed an impression during earlier discussions that the two sides of the isolation boundary were symmetric. Perhaps I misunderstood? I've not been following the back and forth in detail.

The scenario I'm thinking of is where the router attaches to the single port side, and then the other side has multiple clean ports for server, endpoint, etc?

41 minutes ago, Superdad said:

That is correct.  I really need to update a number of things in the very first post of this thread. But hopefully it won't be too long before we start a fresh topic for the launch.  :D

Well on the 4-port side (5 if you could the SFP in the 'A'-side domain), a lot of thought has gone into the choice of magnetics and the switch chip.  In the expensive 4-port module we chose, each RJ45 port has 12-cores, whereas lesser ones will have only 4, 6, or 8 cores. And the switch chip we chose is an ideal match as its built in PHYs are set up for separate capacitor-coupling to ground of the center-taps of each port.  So there is quite good port-to-port isolation, thus there will be very little transference--of any leakage currents coming in on the cables of other gear--between these ports.

As for the clocking, we think the final domain out to the DAC-connected streamer/renderer is the one that matters, hence the single 100Mbps port on the actively isolated  'B'-side. Ours is the only dual-clock-domain switch, so it can't really be compared to how others do things.

As I mentioned before, some people are cascading two SOtM switches at great expense to achieve the reduction of leakage, and phase-noise overlay on the clock and ground planes that we will deliver in one much smaller package. :)

Alex, I'm getting mixed messages here. Are the A and B side symmetric (in terms of SQ) or not? It sounds like you're saying that it's not, and for max performance/SQ,

• the A side should be used for the upstream (router, upstream switch, bridged server, etc)
  • the single100Mbps port on the B side to the endpoint.

I recently posted a picture on another thread of my current setup, where I use 2 ports on what you would call the clean (or B) side: one to the endpoint/streamer, and one directly to the DAC. This enabled me to evaluate the benefit of the switch on an Ethernet DAC, and compare the Ethernet and USB inputs of the DAC, both paths benefiting from the switch. Here's the picture:

Audio-topology-qx5.png

My thought on how to replicate this with the EtherRegen - in the fulness of time! - was to reverse the A and B side: connect the upstream to the single port on the B side, and then connect the streamer and DAC in my picture to 2 of the 4 ports on the A side.

It sounds like that is bass-ackward and would be a suboptimal use of the EtherRegen.

Please clarify?

40 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Let me see if I can bring some clarity.

There are two types of "SQ degrading" influences the EtherRegen is designed to radically decrease, leakage, both high impedance and low impedance, and clock phase noise. The clock phase noise travels on the Ethernet signal itself (every edge coming out of any digital device caries the phase noise of the clock used to "clock out" that edge).

The very carefully chosen transformers on both sides play an important part in decreasing leakage. The active circuitry in the path across the moat adds a very major decrease as well. The result is that the leakage from A to B OR B to A is is decreased a huge amount. The decrease in leakage from one port to another on the A side is still quite significant but not nearly as much as when going from side to side.

The circuitry across the moat is designed to essentially eliminate the signal borne phase noise from one side to the other, it doesn't matter which direction, it works identically in both directions.

The circuitry between ports on the A side decreases these phase noise effects to some degree but not nearly as much as going from side to side.

There is ONE small difference between directions going across the moat: The clock generator is on the B side, so the circuits on the B side get a "pristine" clock. The clock from the B side goes through a very special isolator to the A side. This isolator has extremely low additive phase noise, much lower than any other isolator I could find. (it aint cheap!) The clock on the B side has slightly worse phase noise than the clock on the B side because of this. Whether this is going to be audible, who knows. Remember all the decrease in leakage and external phase noise is still there.

Going from port to port on the A side will be better than any other switch out there, but going from side to side (either way) will be a whole new world.

Because the B side has a slightly lower phase noise clock it is usually better to have the B side port connected to the streamer etc, but if you need to cross the moat the other way (such as using the SFP cage to drive optical into a streamer or DAC that has an optical input) That is also fine. The same decrease in leakage and external phase noise exists either way, the only difference is the slight increase in phase noise of the clock when going from B to A.

Because of this slight increase in phase noise when going from B to A, if you use a REALLY good external clock (such as a Ref10), you will only get the advantage of such a clock when connecting the B side to the streamer.

I hope this makes some sense.

John S.

Thanks John,

Now it all makes sense. Thank you for the cogent and detailed explanation. 

So it is indeed the case that theoretically, the B side is "cleaner," and the best use of this switch is to connect the upstream network to a single port on the A side, and the endpoint on the B side.

And if you're Larry, repeat this 4 times. :D

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Aside from having just stated that there is not a "clean" side and "dirty" side, what you propose is quite the opposite of what we recommend.

The #1 consideration that every EtherREGEN user should start with is to attach the DAC-attached endpoint by itself to the 'B' side copper port.  

Second choice--only because multiple devices on the same side of the moat is not as ideal--is to feed the EtherREGEN from upstream network via its 'B' side port, and then attach your "audio" devices to the 4 copper ports (and 1 SFP port) on the 'A' side.

Hi Alex,

I hope you didn’t take what I wrote as a criticism? It wasn’t. Admittedly I enjoyed making a little joke, but it’s actually a serious consideration, and I wasn’t being gratuitously facetious.

Maybe because I’m a reviewer, I often have multiple DACs/endpoints on hand at any given point in time. For example, I am currently reviewing a piece through both the USB and Ethernet input. So I want to use the clean side of the “regen” switch to connect both to the the DAC-attached endpoint and to the DAC directly. And then there could be other endpoints.

So I can see a lot of value in using the multiport side of the switch as the clean end. 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

The main point I was trying to make to you is that putting an inferior switch between the EtherREGEN and whatever audio endpoints will degrade the signal integrity and pollute the clocking.

Now Alex, why on earth would I - of all people - even dream of doing that?

My point to you was that there are legitimate use cases that need multiple clean ports. Here's the picture from an impending review.

ether.png

The EtherRegen could slot into where the SOtM switch currently is. Do note, from the picture: there is one "dirty" input, and 2 "clean" outputs. 

LOL. :P  Of course I know you know that your's is something of an extreme case.  But considering you could almost purchase 3 EtherREGEN units for the price of one SOtM switch I am not too worried... 9_9

Not that extreme. Just one EtherRegen could replace the SOtM switch in my picture, with the same PSU and the same 10MHz reference clock. A shootout just begging to be done.

Hint, hint. :) 

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nenon said:

I guess I need to explain how pre-loading in RAM is different than streaming.

Not all the DSD files are that big, but some are. Let's take an extreme case. It takes over 80 seconds to transfer a 1GB file over 100 Mbps connection. So let's say hypothetically that I have an album with 10 DSD tracks of that size. Here is what happens:

- I click play.

- I wait 80+ seconds for the file to load in RAM. 

- The track start playing. The music stops at the end of the track.

- The second track starts loading.

- I wait 80+ seconds for the second track to load.

- Repeat the same process above for the rest of the tracks... 

1 GB file is a very extreme case. Most of my files are much smaller. Let's say an average file is 150 MB. That is still a 12+ seconds gap between tracks. That would be quite an unpleasant experience over 100 Mbps connection. If we bump it up to 1 Gbps connection the gap would be just a little over a second on an average file size. 

Interesting scenario. I certainly have tracks that exceed 1GB in size. Are you referring to Stylus on Euphony OS - i.e. "Buffer before playing = 100%"?

If so, while it is definitely true you'll incur the pre-load delay for the first track, it should not be an issue for subsequent tracks. Especially if you've also set the "Use Cache"  flag. In that case, all tracks that are added to the Queue start getting loaded into the local filesystem cache, from where they are then loaded to RAM for playback. While you'll wait for the first track to transfer, the remaining tracks will transfer while you're listening. Additionally, the gapless playback algorithm in Stylus preloads the next track (from cache), so you really don't have to incur the delays on every track.

That said, another place I've found 100Mbps to be limiting is during system upgrades, especially if it involves a full OS upgrade of the DAC-attached endpoint/server.

Presumably, if you keep the NAS and the music server on the same side of the moat, while you don't get isolation, I'm guessing you still get reclocking?

Good question.

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

Thank you, John. Will patiently wait and try when the time comes.

+1. That's exactly what I was thinking too. I have witnessed similar sound quality degradation simply from scanning my local library, even with the network cable unplugged.  So I agree that it's more likely the result of the interrupt processing. 

Let's move on. We'll post the outcome of our tests in another thread when we have an EtherREGEN in our hands. 

Indeed. 

Nenon, if you're interested, I looked into this interrupt behavior in the context of another workload: Squeezelite with large buffers on AL in ramroot. Different code, but similar behavior on the network. Here's the link: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54933-audiolinux-and-nuc-troubleshooting-and-tuning/?do=findComment&comment=904234

Let's followup on that or the Euphony thread, as it's definitely OT here.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Aidagent said:

This is my first post in this forum. First I want to tell you that English is not my native language. I hope you have patience.

I have followed this thread for a long time with interest. I admire enthusiasts who put their soul into creating the best conditions possible to reproduce the music as it was created. I am impressed by what you create and wait patiently for the product to come into my setup. I think it's good that you take the time you need to make you feel satisfied and ready to launch.

I have several products in my setup that are made by enthusiasts whose goal is greater than just making money. It is nothing wrong in makeing money. but if it is the highest goal, it often leads to short-term decisions that rarely yield the best results in the long run. I am not technically savvy. so it is difficult for me to judge how great the product will do in my system. But every litle bit of disturbance thats cleaned out of the signal adds up to a better musical experience.

Thank you for your work and the way you communicate with us followers. And thanks to everyone who writes in the thread for your interesting questions.

Johnny Cash Johnsson (without cash)

from Sweden.

Welcome to the forum. I like your signature, Johnny Cash (without cash)!

I’m in agreement with @Superdad - your English is probably better than half the English speakers who post here. 9_9 

Hi Steve. Thanks for asking.  Most all the pain is gone.  I still feel it a bit when I sneeze hard, and I can not yet take extremely deep breaths.  Also, I have mostly stopped sleeping on my left side, not because of much rib pain, but because I wake up with a lot of pain in my shoulder and under my shoulder blade if I do.  I think this must be somehow related to the rib fractures. There is an experienced bodywork therapist I sometimes use--and he is about to get a call from me.

I hear ya. Rib fractures aren't what they're cracked up to be. And they're certainly nothing to sneeze at. 9_9  I hope I didn't make you chuckle too hard. :)

Feel better soon. And great to hear about the EtherRegen progress.

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!