IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

In the end that’s what we will have to do !

The questions for many of us will be:

• is there any improvement using the EtherRegen over the Optical Module, Assuming you’re only after using its FMC capabilities. 
  • Will an combo of any non optical Rendu and the EtherRegen be pretty equal to the optical Rendu’s.

Or is there any improvement using EtherRegen PLUS optical Rendu ( or in my case EtherRegen and optical Signature Rendu SE) over using either individually

• 2 months later...

Since we are getting closer to delivery of etherREGEN, I had a couple of questions re configurations. I currently have the optical Signature RenduSE from Sonore. I use a generic FMC converter between my current  Ethernet switch and the Rendu. My options, I think, will be to 1: get the etherREGEN, and use the etherREGEN optical out directly to the optical in on the Rendu, which seems the easiest way to go. The other alternatives would be to 2: upgrade the FMC converter to the new Sonore optical converter with the existing switch or 3: use  the EtherREGEN with Ethernet port plus the Sonore optical converter. I guess the cheapest way is no.2, most direct way is no. 1, and the most expensive way is no.3. Unless I missed it, I haven’t seen any posts from Uptone indicating there is actually a SQ improvement from the etherREGEN, just technical improvements so not sure I even need to do anything until we hear if these new devices make a difference. I was wondering if someone can make some comments on which scenario makes the most sense, independent of cost.  Is there an expectation that sq and noise reduction is similar between the etherREGEN optical port and the Ethernet port? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking forward to the etherREGEN to use with all my Ethernet lines but particularly for my Sonore optical Signature Rendu SE. the intent would be to use the etherREGEN optical out directly to the optical input on the rendu. You have stated that you believe this output would be as clean as the copper output. I know many here keep talking about using your lps1.2 to power the switch but that adds expense that I don’t understand why I need. Doesn’t the switch clean up most everything coming into it? Won’t the (I’m assuming) the included SMPT power be similar or the same?

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sure, that will work fine.  But if your "streamer" is attached to the DAC of your best audio system, then we also suggest that you try attaching it to the lone 'B'-side port while attaching your router, NAS, and AppleTV to the 'A'-side ports.  You can experiment and see hear which produces the best results un your system. :)

I’m a bit confused by your response. I have optical signature Renault se. I thought I would run Ethernet cable from router to etherREGEN, use  etherREGEN optical port direct to rendu across the moat. As well as every other input.

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!

Saw the order announcement this am. Very nice. Congrats. So looking forward to getting one but still have a question. You have the one 100 Mbps port on the B side and the 4 gigabit ports plus optical on A side. You recommend using the lone B port to go to my streamer for best results but if the sides are mostly symmetrical I’m trying to figure out how to use in my system. I have an optical rendu so originally I was planning to use the optical port to feed this as you say can be done in your announcement. I was going to use the b port to go to router. Can I feed the b side from my router and get best results? This makes more sense to me bc then I would have 4 ports across the most to feed other things. Is it a 100 mbps vs gigabit issue? Or are you saying to get best results feed router to A side and use other A ports for other devices and use the b side as you recommended to feed optical Rendu. I have an optical module to use this way so not an issue. Thanks 

I plan on getting the EtherRegen b side to optical module to optical rendu. Not sure if it will provide improvement in sq over my current setup with Cisco switch to optical module to optical rendu but worth a try. I wanted to use other a ports for other stuff so won’t run from optical port on EtherRegen. Maybe dumb question but is there any theoretical advantage of using one of the other A ports to connect to my AppleTV for home theater use, either improved video or audio?

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2018 at 9:25 AM, Bones13 said:

Really getting excited for this switch to surface. I am trying to simplify my system over time. I eliminated USB and reclocking issues going to a Bricasti M12. Gone is the shoebox full of custom cables, microRendu, 2x power supply boxes, etc., DAC, and Pre-Amp. Now signal chain ethernet from a small generic hub that feeds the Roku and Oppo and Bricasti over at the audio stack. I run Roon core on my NAS in a closet downstairs. I know my Bricasti was expensive, but the sound enhancement was quite significant over the microRendu retinue + Bryston BDA3 DAC + W4S STP-SE.

This new etherRegen hub sounds perfect for my system, specially not needing additional clocking, and power boxes. I might even upgrade the other switch in the office to run optical from that switch to this etherRegen. The Bricasti does a lot of ethernet isolation, having the etherRegen level of clean will be icing on the cake.

Keep up the great work developing these special devices for our niche market.

I have an M12 on order. Currently, I am now using the Sonore Signature optical streamer with the EtherRegen  then to Yggy USB port. Sounds really nice. I was curious if you think the the EtherRegen improved the sq with your M12. Thanks