IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

Do folks on your newsletter list receive the early notice of the day the website will accept order?  This would be my first purchase from UpTone.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• 2 weeks later...

Using an Acoustic Revive RLI-1 isolator (isolation transformer + choke coil).  A few observations:

• Noise enters via the ethernet connection
  • a better-than-generic ethernet cable improves the sound
  • there is room for further improvement vs. the AR isolator

So, looking forward to trying EtherRegen.  This site has a somewhat helpful graph:  https://www.lotusgroupusa.com/lan-isolator.html  Thought it would be OK to post in this thread since the AR is NOT a competitor for the EtherRegen, which is clearly an all-out effort to fix the noise problem.

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Plus $275 seems like an awful lot to pay to just add an $2 inductor to a RJ45 mag-jack. 9_9

Well...I didn't mention that it came with an origami crane (it is a Japanese company).   You might want to think about something similar to include with the EtherRegen.  Perhaps a miniature bald eagle?   

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I think something with silk will be quite revolutionary. Fantastic measurements.

3 hours ago, nonesup said:

My experience with an EMO 70 HD, is that it "kills" the emotion of music

I have the older version of the RLI-1 (have used it for years) and have not heard the latest.  Some think that the earlier version dulled the music, similar to the comment from nonesup regarding the EMO.  That doesn't happen in my system, so I continue to use it while I await the EtherRegen.  Given what the RLI-1 does in my system (increased clarity, more refined HF and greater LF), I'm stoked to try the EtherRegen.  

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
32 minutes ago, rickca said:

You write very clearly, Alex.  I'm sure once you get started it will come together nicely.

Agreed.  And thank you for the real-time updates.  

I'm assuming there are a few folks like me, who have a simple setup and think they already know how to connect the eR 😎 , so a simple block diagram of the simplest one-input-one-output (as one of the illustrations) might be helpful.   At any rate, I'm sure there also a few of us who think the most important update to your website will be the "add to cart" for your new invention.  

• 2 weeks later...

When you announced this product, I distinctly remember saying:  break a leg.  A leg!

I hope you don't find that unfunny and also that it didn't make you laugh (painful!)

My best for a speedy recovery.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Yesterday John verified that all the power networks are running correctly (something like 30 different voltage points), and all the lines he ran for programmable reset generation are acting just as they should. The clock synthesizer is accepting its programming from the microprocessor, but as of last night it was not outputting clocks around the board. I'm confident John will sort that out shortly. After all, the clocks were running fine on the last set of boards and he did not (purposely at least) change anything in the layout related to them.

Thank you.  It is interesting to learn a bit about the kind of testing for the boards (perhaps, especially for those of us who have not experience with this kind of work).  

31 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

Tuning-wise the last (hopefully last) thing I will add to my system...

same here....

3 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

Ah but then it’s time to tune the room itself.  Of late, while awaiting the EtherREGEN, that’s what I’ve been doing. It’s a fairly consequential aspect of getting the most out of our systems I’m afraid. 

Agree that that room treatments make a huge improvement.  Haven't tried the electronic route thus far.  With my current system, I really do listen to the music and not the system (finally, the analytical side of my brain is quiet!).   If I listened to a lot of large-scale classical, I'd be motivated to try convolution, since that kind of music seems to require more from the room.  I wonder if it is possible to get the true scale of large venues for large-scale classical, no matter the treatment.  

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rickca said:

Are there snakes and alligators in the EtherREGEN moat? 

I was hoping that the illustration for the website would at least include something that looked like a moat (with or without inhabitants).  Thought it would be fun, with all the hight tech, to draw in a moat and see what folks thought.  

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Guess we just dance to our own beat...B|

And that is working for you (and us).  :)

Original thinking applied not only to design but also marketing.  

Thank you (know how busy you are).  I have a retired friend like that.  He does pro bono work all the time for folks who cannot afford the proper legal representation and that doesn't include his non-paid Board work.  These kinds of people make the world work.  They lead by example and always give of themselves.  But....back to audio stuff.  

Concerning ventilation, would it work to place the ER under a shelf which is open on all sides and is about 2" above the hard surface floor (that is, about 1" clearance above for the ER and open on the sides)?  Thanks.

Alex,

Concerning ventilation, would it work to place the ER under a shelf which is open on all sides and is about 2" above the hard surface floor (that is, about 1" clearance above for the ER and open on the sides)?  Thanks.

22 hours ago, Superdad said:

I'm going to also include a separate half-sheet "Quick-Start" insert.

--Alex

It is generous to take the belts and suspenders approach to documentation:  printed materials with the product + same on the website.  Since the web gives you more room and flexibility (vs printed), it might be worth considering having a few illustrations/diagrams of various ways to use the EtherREGEN (fiber in, ethernet in, connection to DAC with ethernet connection, for example).  Many folks follow illustrations better than written instructions.   Just a thought and perhaps more viable once the production is concluded.  

Alex,

if it helps, a bunch of us could drop by and help with a EtherREGEN raising.  You know, work a few hours then hang at your home.  Just a week or so.  

OK, just kidding, and hope that nightmare isn't added to your current one.  

And Tina probably has 155 members of her fan club right now.  Take care.  

33 minutes ago, Thmoas said:

Thank you Alex, it is very helpful. Even though it means I’ll have to find my way in the jungle of available streamers. And skip the Lampizator dac  I was looking at for now.

And thanks Steve. 

Personally, I looked for (and bought) a DAC, that is also a Roon endpoint with an ethernet input.  In my case, that eliminated the streamer and allowed me to choose/price one piece of gear.  Perhaps that is an option that would work for you as well.  In any case, enjoy your search.  

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

If the heat of the case bothers you, standing it on edge will permit more airflow and will lower the case temperature by a few degrees. 

Since I'm using the ER behind my rack and there is so little space there, I've set it on its side and indeed that helps the heat dissipation.  Using an old tube damper underneath which provides further air flow.