IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

51 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Shall this be an active or passive device ?

If active, you purchase two EtherRegen. If passive, I’m not sure if it requires a gigabyte port in with 8 wires active, as a spitter can only use 4 wires and thus is either 10 or 100. 

A4D5F6DF-AC03-48C9-954B-F6AF2EA378F3.jpegØ

46738F2E-FED6-402F-BC7F-A882D39ACAAB.jpeg

Just to be clear gents, those so-called "splitters" do not create any new ports.  They just allow the use of one cable for two separate ports.  You have to put one of these at both ends of the cable--and have two Ethernet ports to connect to.  

Remember, just one IP address per port. 

6 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Some old stuff......

Any particular reason you are bringing up that discontinued project from 4 years ago?  

It would have worked and been great, but there is an undue amount of software coding involved, and our thinking--for other future projects--has evolved.

But that project has zero connection/relevance to our Ethernet switch.  9_9

2 hours ago, Theobetley said:

So Superdad going to have anything at Axpona on this?

I did CES (and sometimes the Stereophile shows and Munich) for 10 years with Hovland Company.  Those were semi-worthwhile back then because we met with dealers and distributors there.

But with UpTone’s direct sales model—to people all over the world—small regional end-user shows like Axpona can be a colossal waste of time and money.  What, would we A/B a network switch in a hotel room?  Or sit at a booth display so people can walk up and touch a simple box that looks just like our UltraCap units?

While I’d enjoy meeting a bunch of our Midwest customers and chatting, it’s not like I’d have a staff of people to help out and trade off with all weekend.  And I would not even get to see the show myself.  So I’d rather stay home and keep the $10K of travel and show cost, and keep the prices of our products as low as we can.

Our products are sold with a 30-day, money-back guarantee (with no restock fee), and always the best way for someone to decide is to try in their own system!

All that said, I frequently will loan or sell products to other companies who wish to use them at a show—to improve the SQ in their room.  However, AXPONA is next weekend and EtherREGEN is not going to enter production until sometime this summer, so don’t expect to spot one in Chicago next week. 9_9

15 minutes ago, thyname said:

John: are you saying that we don't need to use your ground plug "device" with the new etherRegen?

But we will need to use it if using an LPS-1.2 to power it instead of the UASMPS that comes with it?

Well, as he and I both indicated, it remains to be seen if a high-quality LPS is even needed for our new switch. (Wow, why should I say that? Don't I want to sell more UltraCap supplies? x-D).

But in case people do--or if they use some other PS that is not ground-shunted--then yes, one will need to ground the EtherREGEN.  However, as John mentioned, we plan for the unit to have a ground screw (or socket)--so that John's double-barrel-connector doohickey is not required. 

55 minutes ago, thatguy said:

Thanks for the reply, to confirm: you are saying that any clock that connects to the circuit board of the DAC chip is creating "phase noise" of the DAC's clock.

Thanks your interest.

I mean no offense, but since you are new around here, and based on the phrasing of your questions, please allow me to suggest you do a bit more reading here at CA on the topic of clocks, phase noise, and DAC architecture.  Some of this stuff may then start to make a bit more sense.

And then you will also see where John is saying we are currently limited in the proofs of how upstream clock signatures can migrate into the workings of the DAC itself.  

This is an area of intense research for us (I speak about it a bit in the very first post of this thread), and if the project (a series of boards, a high-speed 32-bit ADC, a jitter marker injected, etc.) is successful, it will likely call into question a number of conventional assumptions and attract a lot of interest from other digital engineers.

But we really don’t want to get into any of this here and now.  

In fact, I think this thread has run its course in that there really are no more questions to answer until much closer to the release of the EtherREGEN.

And when John’s upstream clock signature/blocking measurement project begins to bear fruit, we will most certainly start a new topic about that.

—Alex C.

14 minutes ago, audiojerry said:

Yes, the PS Audio DirectStream Jr has an ethenet/LAN input to its built-in network bridge. The network bridge also has an hdmi input for i2s, which supposedly is superior because it separates the clock from the audio signal.  I don't no why, but PS recommends against using wireless ethernet.

Hi Jerry:

Well the Ethernet input is just one of the 6 inputs available on your DirectStream Jr.:

5ada1f309229d_PSADSJ.thumb.jpg.989a6ac96d8d79b709442a27e916b67b.jpg

The I2S (via LVDS on HDMI) input is not technically part of the "Bridge" circuity at all.  Without going too far into the complexities of formats and such, I'll mention that I2S is in some sense the most "native" input--in that ultimately all other inputs are producing an I2S output to feed the DAC circuitry itself.  So a USB input is really a USB>I2S circuit, and the Ethernet input is Ethernet>I2S, and so on (though it's a bit more complicated for AES, S/PDIF, and Toslink)--and I am oversimplifying in any case.

The point being that yes, depending upon how the input circuits--and all that follows--are executed, different inputs may deliver slightly different sonic results.  Even use of the I2S input introduces the vagaries of whatever I2S source one uses (typically an outboard USB>I2S converter), and then the audio-rate clocks in that source become rather important (since few DACs feed their master clock out their HDMI connector to slave the source).

14 minutes ago, audiojerry said:

I'm dubious that sound quality using ethernet to the bridge would improve what I'm already getting from USB with the IR and LPS-1 (or LPS-1.2). If ethernet to a bridge is the superior approach, then I'm hesitant to get the LPS 1.2. 

One can not generalize.  You just need to try the various inputs and see hear! 9_9

Of course current Ethernet inputs on DACs generally impose restrictions on how you get the music to them.  It is not as if our computer operating systems have built-in support to see DACs connected on our LANs.  That's where DLNA, Roon, etc. come in.

Have a great weekend everyone.  I about done with the flu, and UltraCap LPS-1.2 boards are at last going into their cases and being prepared for shipments around the world!  So I am in MUCH better sprits that a week ago! :)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tboooe said:

Hey Alex...how about accepting Pre-orders perhaps providing a little discount for early adopters!  I am afraid by Feb I will be out of money because of xmas, property tax, etc...in other words take me money now!!!!!!!

Sorry Tommy, we can't do that.  

a) It goes completely against my business ethics to accept money in advance for a product that does not yet have production PCBs and cases in production with firm delivery dates;

b) We would have to pay taxes this year for a product that will ship in 2019. ¬¬

c) We have not added up the final BoM (Bill of Materials) yet, so no final pricing has been set yet.  

We will do our best to keep the price very competitive (and I know it will be well under a rather pricey competitor), but there are a LOT of costly chips in this thing.  At last count I think were were up to 10 LT3042/45 voltage regulators, and those account for just half the power supply stuff.   There are quite a number of individual parts that themselves cost $10-15 each.  It is adding up quick! x-D

2 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Will you be offering the option of a 50-ohm master clock connector for those of us who are locked into that impedance?

Well I might start a poll because it seems like half of you want 50 ohms and the other half 75 ohms. O.o We can do either--but not both.  It is simply a single tiny surface mount resistor change--and either the 50 or 75 ohm BNC.  But it is not cost effective to run both versions of the board--and rear panel labels (then get stuck with more of one versus the other), especially since 90%+ of buyers will never even be using it with an external clock.