IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

55 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Sorry, the original LPS-1 can not power the switch because at its top 7 volt setting the EtherREGEN draws almost 1.4A, a bit over the UltraCap 1.1A continuous limit.

The newer UltraCap LPS-1.2 can power EtherREGEN from its 9V or 12V settings as our switch draws about 0.92A at 9V and 0.72A at 12V.

Damn! Ha! I've been looking for something to power with my LPS-1, but alas I guess it just isn't in the cards, every since I moved totally away from USB.

Thank you for the answer! I'm really looking forward to the etherREGEN. :)

SonicTransporter i5 -> Linn KDS/3 -> M3a-800S -> EgglestonWorks Andra II

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

And I need to import all the new e-mail addresses and write the letter announcing the 9:00 a.m. Tuesday date when the "AddToCart" button will go live.

So, if you've gotten newsletters from Uptone and made orders before, you should get an email for the ether REGEN? 

Gee, I just looked and my last update from your guys was on 04/25/17 for the ISO REGEN. 

I hope I'm not being a pain in the ass. I just want to be able to snatch one from the first batch (don't we all?) :)

2 hours ago, PYP said:

That is my setup:  the DAC is a Roon endpoint/DAC/preamp, so the path is in-wall cat 5e to EtherREGEN to DAC.  I'll let you know how that works out (hopefully in early November, if I can click fast enough on October 8).  :) 

Yeah, that's good. I'd like to hear your impressions. I'll be sure to give mine. 

My Linn KDS/3 isn't a Roon endpoint, so I have to go from a SonicTransporter, into my router, and then into the Linn ]. So, the etherREGEN should sit between my router and my Linn. I guess it's the same difference between going from the wall straight yo your DAC, because if the etherREGEN works like it's supposed to to, it will cure any ills that comes before your DAC/Streamer, yeah?

Yeah. :)

1 hour ago, ericuco said:

I can’t imagine anything upstream of the EtherREGEN making much difference. For streaming service think about all of the network equipment the data flows through before arriving at your house.

But here you're just talking about streaming service, right? Because you wrote "anything upstream," so if I'm using the Comcast Router/Modem combo, placing the EtherREGEN between my router and my streamer/DAC should be what it's all about right? That should be where the sonic benefits happen, because you're cleaning up everything upstream from the DAC, yes? 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I understand this can be hard to grasp, you think something upstream of the DAC caused the bass to go away so how can anything down stream put it back? Because the upstream component DIDN'T get rid of the bass, the bass is still there in the bits, what it DID was add some noise which upon reaching the DAC causes small distortions in the audio which your perceptual system interprets as the bass going away.

You know, I don't know if you're getting into psychoacoustics here, but if so, that's right up my alley. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Design Thinking ~ 

So, really, I'm asking honestly without ulterior motive, how does one even begin to design something like the EtherREGEN? 

Most designs, inventions, etc. come out of necessity. One old example is the guy whose mother found it difficult in old age to work a potato peeler, so he designed a better handle for the peeler. This design was then used for a lot of other products with a handle. Or, if you check out the evolution of bridges, it's quite fascinating, as we get into holding more weight with less mass. 

I'm just sitting here wondering what was the impetus - the necessity - behind the EtherREGEN. Was it that people claimed that there was "noise" in their Ethernet, or studies showed that it was an imperfect system that needed to be remedied? I'm thinking that if those two examples are the leading reason behind the EtherREGEN then the commercial implications could be huge for Uptone. 

Now, the last little bit that I wrote holds some mild sarcasm, but only very mild because I didn't hear any sonic benefits from the EtherREGEN. But that doesn't mean anything, for obviously a good number of people do. So, even with my mild nod-and-a-wink, I'm quite serious about applications outside of audio if the promise of better data correction is inherent in the EtherREGEN's design. 

Like the guy with the potato peeler, at first he was just wanting to help out his mother, but it became something much bigger! 

Still, the question of why remains. If you're willing to share (and maybe you have already), the original mindset behind this device. I would presume that there was some real-world need to be met. 

Of course not everything is designed or invented with a need that needs meeting. Or, at least not a practical need. Some designs/inventions are also just stumbled upon. I'm thinking about Albert Hoffman who discovered LSD by accident while trying to synthesize a delivery system for other pharmaceuticals. Or, penicillin, right? Happy accidents. 

So, yeah? :)

9 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

With all due respect and humility, UpTone wasn’t the first on the quest to reduce or minimize phase and voltage noise coming off the net. There was SOTM much earlier, and some other brands that I don’t feel like looking up now, all which clearly demonstrated the aforementioned efficacy. 

Yeah, I didn't know about previous attempts. Some things in the audio world I'm on the lookout for so, some things not.

That doesn't negate my questions, though, does it? Unless we are saying that Uptone is "improving" on an already existing idea. But then we're saying that Uptone had a certain amount of faith in the principle behind the "SOTM" in order to come up with their own.

Where did this faith come from?

You know, it probably doesn't matter. I'm simply wondering why I didn't hear anything from the EtherREGEN, while others did. I'm a bit jealous of others in this case. :) Still, my thought process lead me back to where did the idea come from, even for SOTM.

5 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

I suspect that those of us having, for instance, only a very limited number of copper connections between sources and the targeted DAC while using the eR have proved happiest.  However, the devices themselves play a part in noise creation/mitigation.

I certainly don't want to flog a dead horse (if it's indeed dead), but my copper chain is very small. 

I've got coax from outside, leading directly to my listening room. No other splitters or anything in that chain. That coax feeds right into my Xfinity modem, which, by the way, vibrates like a sonuvabitch - the modem, that is. From there, everything sits on my Symposium Ultra Platforms. There are two short runs of Cat6a that chain my SonicTransporter i5 to my modem, and then out again, right into my Linn. Talk about a short copper run! 

So, if happiness is predicated on a short run, I should be the happiest! :) I'm just trying to make sense of it all. :) 

13 minutes ago, thyname said:

I believe you received the answers at ASR forums immediately after you joined and posted a few days ago.

Whatever makes you happy of course. All I am hoping they don't convince you to sell your excellent DAC and replace it with a Topping DAC 🙂

No, no, no...absolutely no. I totally dropped out of that conversation about the EtherREGEN after two posts, I believe, both of which did not seek answers. One post expressed for people to cool out on both sides of the argument. The other expressed my curiosity about amplifier measurements, whereupon I moved out of that thread and started talking amps.

So...no.

...and no, I love my Linn. I don't care what anybody says. It's paid for, so why not keep it? :)

26 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Pretty simple.  So, I'm assuming when you tested the eR it effectively replaced the switching function of the Xfinity router.  By that I mean you used Cat6a from the Xfinity to one of the A side ports on the eR and did the same for another Cat6a from the SonicTransporter to the eR and finally out the B side using a third Cat6a to the Linn.  Or was this never tested?

Yes, sir. Exactly. Call me simple, but I still believe that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. :) I fed the ER in a few other configs, but this was my primary config, and the one I had it burning in on. I wanted to see if that vibrating Xfinity modem was giving off unknown fits or not.

But you know, I'll close here. There never has been a one-size-fits-all audio device of any kind that I can think of. There has to be thousands of DACs by now. How many amps? Wheeew! How many USB reclocking devices? The list is pretty much endless, and what may be good for one person may not be good for another. 

I recall all of my trials with dCS and while I could have lived with the dCS line forever, I was turned off by the concept of a bunch of separates, not the products themselves. So, yeah, I'm happy for everyone who hears what they hear from the EtherREGEN...or any other audio device for that matter. :)