IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
38 minutes ago, Adyc said:

For option 2, I would replace OM with ER. If what Alex says is true on the power supply of ER, one doesn’t need to buy an expensive LPS for ER. However, a lot of reports say OM improves with better LPS. So the total cost is actually cheaper for ER.  Second, the technology is much more sophisticated for ER.

That’s what I’m going to do.

We have the opticalModule with a SGC linear supply on our website for 395 USD. That is 240 USD less than a ER which will be 640 USD.

The PS on the ER does not matter...famous last words:) 

When Alex sends me an ER to try I'll be powering it with my linear supply.

13 hours ago, Adyc said:

Second, the technology is much more sophisticated for ER.

This is an incorrect assumption. The A side of the ER is an ethernt format converter run from LT linear regulators and femto series Crystek oscillator. This is the design of an opticalModule is as well. The A side and B side of the ER is separated by the moat via IC circuits. The opticalModule and opticalRendu are separated via fiber optic cable providing 100% galvanic isolation. The B side of the ER has a switch chip run from LT linear regulators and the femto series Crystek oscillator on the A side. The switch chip drives the SFP and RJ45 ports which pollute each other when utilized together. The opticalRendu has the same switch chip run from LT linear regulators, but has its own femto series Crystek oscillator. No other ports are provided on the opticalRendu to avoid the obvious pollution from other connected devices and because it's not necessary for an endpoint. 

5 hours ago, incus said:

This is exactly what I plan to do with the two eRegens I ordered so I will report back if there is any difference vs. one vs. no eRegen.  I also plan to test various power supplies - linears, ultracap, battery, wall-wart . As well as SOtM ethernet cables vs. generic Cat6 vs. Aqvox. (And yes I do have different optical cages and cables to compare!) I will do these tests, then I pass judgement. I believe that is the scientific method...

It's a lot of work to change only one thing at a time with all those variables. You will more likely than not have to make different tests depending on what you accomplish. Also, as soon as you introduce your opinion into the mix the scientific method goes out the door because others can't repeat the test to verify your results. It really just comes down to what you prefer.  

1 hour ago, simon_pepper said:

Well, my intended use of an EtherRegen & UltraRendu is different, as the UltraRendu running SonoreUPnP Bridge, will be connected to ‘A’ ports, along with feed from NUC/Rock Roon Server & NAS, with the ‘B’ port going to my Naim NDS network player.

Yes, would be different if the UltraRendu was the USB output to a DAC path & not part of the TCP/IP path to a unit with a Ethernet input, then a Burr-Brown PCM1704U based 'sign-magnitude' digital converter stage with an analogue stage on a brass isolation platform.

Simon.

Here you go

1780829122_ScreenShot2019-10-11at6_32_19PM.png.eb4cef9169f120acf36afd0e55dcbafa.png