IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

These days I am using singlemode more than multimode (both work) because the singlemode SFP modules use better electronics. I am also not using FMCs too much, rather hardware with SFP(+) endpoints ... note that you can get Copper RJ-45 SFP modules so easy to integrate copper and fiber networks.

fs.com is a good resource.

If anyone is worried about which brand of fiberoptic cable to use, first be sure to use singlemode SFPs ;) That said I've always been a fan of Corning. Nothing better on the planet!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
  • Superdad pinned this topic
4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

My understanding is there isn’t any difference in using optical vs RJ45 A-side and then cross over to B-side. 

Not sure exactly what you are saying here and I’ve answered in the thread I posted on. I don’t know the nitty gritty circuit details — haven’t seen a schematic, but from what I understand, the EtherRegen is designed primarily for optical or copper in and copper out to the endpoint connected to the DAC. The fiberoptic link is already completely common mode isolated. 

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

We use a Crystek CCHD-575 at 25MHz as the reference to drive a particular Silicon Labs jitter-attenuating differential clock synthesizer (which we also have set to alternatively accept a 10MHz external reference clock).

We use all 4 available outputs of the synth, programmed to generate two separate 25MHz lines (for the Ethernet chips on both sides of the moat), and two 250MHz lines—for the high-speed, ultra-low-jitter differential reclocking flip-flops on both sides.  

Very nice. Those silabs chips are very slick.

Um, seriously, why do you enable external clocks aside for marketing to the many folks who don’t understand clocks or what you guys are doing?

A slight point — the output of the silabs doesn’t equal an independent clock —those clock domains on each side are synchronous — which is good

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

But I don’t know the marked for such a device. I’m convinced @JohnSwenson has the skill and knowledge to design such a product within Uptone price range, which seems to be within an affordable 3 digits for a product at world class 😀

Ha ha if @Superdad doesn’t think there is enough of a market for the product then you can’t buy one for low 3 digits, even if his design rate is $1/hr. 😂