IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

19 minutes ago, PR13 said:

Might be a silly question but how big will this EtherREGEN actually be? And what will it look like, can I assume similar to other Uptone products? 🤔

i'm thinking it's going to have to be around the size of an 8 port switch.  a ubiquiti us-8-150w is 9 inches wide.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
21 minutes ago, elan120 said:

With each RJ45 port is 15.24mm wide, and EtherRegen has 4 ports on A side, technically, it is quite possible to fit all 4 ports to a case as wide as Ultracap at 110mm.  My speculation would also be the size of Ultracap or something very similar to this size.

turns out, the board size was discussed several pages back -- 100 mm x 106 mm (3.94 in x 4.17 in) -- so looks like you are correct in assuming it's probably going to be lps-1.2 sized!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
5 hours ago, cool_chris said:

So there is no 1 gb across the moat.

For those who own or consider Taiko extreme would it be possible 

or adviced to change the flow direction ?

Taiko extreme has SFP optical module for ethernet so it sounds like 

it could make sense to feed the internet signal from a single B side and exit the signal 

Via SFP optical to feed server.

the only downside of this is that the clock on B side is very close to the Ethernet port.

I wish this clock is close to the SFP module .

in other worlds , this is designed with 100 ethernet B side to feed your server, 

the other way Is possible but probably not as optimal as above .

The intent is for the endpoint to be on the B side,  so that it gets as clean and isolated data as possible. 

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
23 minutes ago, willyhot said:

I am so excited for this new gem and congrats to Alex, John and the team!

I tried hard to study this threads but because my poor English I still have a question if EtherREGEN can replace my existing switch. My poor drawing attached and I wondered if anyone can help if I can technically replace my so call "audiophile switch" by EtherREGEN?  I assume I can connect both cable from the wall and the one to 4K streamer to "A" side, and then "B" side to my 2 ch. Audio steamer? Thanks!

2008136131_ether-regenqdiagram.jpg.dc97f9b443e16330afd432fa4173414a.jpg

You've got it right - two channel streamer on the B side will optimize the sound for that device. You can use the ports on the A side as you wish.

47 minutes ago, rogerdn said:

I need to continue use of my TP-Link switch for additional devices, should the router be connected to the ER or doesn’t it matter ?  Meaning should the ER be upstream of the TP switch ?

You want the endpoint/player attached to the B side of the ER.  After that, it shouldn't matter too much since the player is isolated.

I think the best arrangement would be Router > TPLink Switch (with non-audio devices attached) > EtherRegen (player on B side; other audio devices on A side).

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

... how can you be sure you were among the first 23 buyers? 😛

because he must have ordered a 50 ohm unit (see alex's post above).

21 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Maybe someone can enlighten us all about cable lengths. My understanding is that 1.5M is the ideal short length of typically mass produced cables to avoid signal wave reflections (return) affects. Apparently 1M is problematic due to the timing of the wave return.  However, I’ll readily admit this was prevalent in the early days of Ethernet, when transmitting devices were far less mature and had trouble making sense of propagation signal origin. 

I’ve seen this also come up with HDMI in the video realm, though I’m uncertain how such things work with, say USB or other interface designs. 

Did you read John S's post right above yours? Net, net he said to not worry about it. 

2 hours ago, jos said:

You could be right, but the Rossini master clock for instance is helping the Rossini DAC to better this DAC. The EtherREGEN is doing that too, so you can compare the outcomes, IMO, although devices are different.

not following you here -- the clock are doing completely different things.  the etherregen clock is reclocking the ethernet data stream which unrelated to the reclocking of the music stream between player/endpoint and dac.

6 hours ago, wizardofoz said:

does the ER get its own IP address and if so is there any way to update its firmware or is this never going to need any updates or settings applied?

didn’t see any mention of anything in the QSG or UM thus far on the matter.

the er is not a managed switch, so won't get it's own ip address.

1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

So, under no circumstances will the EtherREGEN have an IP address assigned?  Reason I ask is I have a number of switches that, though they can be managed, I've reset to factory defaults, rendering them as unmanaged.  Yet they do get assigned an IP address when booting up, and connected to the local network,  However, if they are booted, but not connected to the network, they have the ability to assign an IP address to a Ethernet attached computer. 

Even if you have disabled functionality,  it would still be a managed switch and be assigned an ip address. 

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, fpalm69 said:

I tried the EtherRegen with the Sonore opticalModule attached via FO to the SFP port (side A) then port B to my server (Roon Nucleus) with very good results.  Liked the SQ better then just running Ethernet straight into port A.

But, when I tried replacing the opticalModule with a TP Liink MC220L media converter it would not work.  Same FO transceivers on both ends (TP-SM311LM) and cable just the opticalModule was replaced.  Tried two different TP Link converters with same result - no connection.

Any one know why the TP Link would not connect?

Also, not all SFPs work with all FMCs -- compatibility is not 100%.  Has the SFP worked with the TP Link before?

BTW, did you try changing the switch on the back of the TP Link from Auto to Force (or vice versa)?

25 minutes ago, nonesup said:

Now is when I am already confused.  I thought I understood that if the cable tied at both ends was on side B, there was no problem.  After reading this post I am not so clear.  So if you have a cable tied at both ends that goes from the B side to a server that has a switched internal PSU and no external clock is used, are there problems or not?

John S has been consistent in saying that the shield should not be attached at both ends on the B side.

29 minutes ago, cbnbmore said:

Can the EtherRegen be used in reverse with the ethernet feed going to the B side and the filtered output being available to the 4 ports on the A side? Thanks.

Yes -- you can use the switch both ways.  However, the four ports on the A side are not isolated from each other to the extent of the "moat" that isolates the B side.

• 2 months later...