IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

57 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Case will the exact same size/style as the UltraCap units

will need to place something very heavy on top of it, thanks to my ethernet cables stiffness 9_9

please consider making it "wall mountable" ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Why 4 ports ?

- Router (not everyone will use optical fiber)

- NAS

- Player (computer/network streamer)

- DSP (eg. HQ-Player, on a separate machine)

(- Network renderer -> OUT)

;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, audiojerry said:

Roon or other streaming service

just in case: Roon is not a streaming service but a great music manager and player which *also* can stream Tidal

it has a proprietary network protocol to stream from the computer running Roon to an ethernet endpoint

if your DAC has ethernet and is compatible with Roon... just enroll for a free trial ;)

headphones system:

so... the SFP too is/can be Gigabit?

headphones system:

16 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yes,

the SFP port is Gigabit. It supports SFP speed negotiation, but what you plug into it has to also support speed negotiation if you want to run slower than Gigabit. Not all modules do. When it powers up it is running Gigabit, if the module supports speed negotiation and wants to run slower it will do so.

Note that the SFP port is not the "clean port", it is essentially the same as the other Ethernet ports.

John S.

great, right what I need: 10/100 for just the endpoint and Gigabit for everything else :)

when I tried using a Fast ethernet switch for everything, all was fine but uploading new music to the NAS was pita slow 9_9

(plus... finding 10/100 SFPs is becoming pretty hard, at least here)

can't wait :D

headphones system:

5 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

1. The clocking in the TX-USBultra made an immediate audible improvement. (Replacing the LPS-1 with the LPS-1.2 improved it again ?)

2. Adding the sCLK-OCX10 lifted it even further.

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

But what I have trying to explain is that our piece is about way more than clocking.  Perhaps I reopened the thread too soon because we are not yet ready to explain all of what makes what we are doing unique (and for propriety reasons we will have to decide just how much to reveal even when we do).

headphones system:

12 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Not aware of any streamers with built in SFP's

first one that comes to (my) mind: http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-x1.html

(not just because of the banner here above ? )

headphones system:

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Best how?

I believe @jos was only talking about regular switches, not the EtherRegen: I remember John Swenson said something about those having "coupled transformers" (or something like that) so to avoid magnetic interferences he recommended getting 8 port switches and only plugging devices every other port

have a great time with your family, Alex :)

headphones system:

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, jos said:

we should discuss alternatives here

I'm pretty sure UpTone knows what's already available and set its goal to coming out with something way better ;)

headphones system:

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: Early general details [We are late but getting closer! ;-)]
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, thotdoc said:

looking at the case end mockups, one side says "B Port Output"

... what about "1Gb ports" and "10/100Mb port" instead, Alex? ;)

headphones system:

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
On 7/19/2019 at 8:45 PM, Superdad said:

we really want people to read the User Guide

a writer once said: "I reached the age one should better cultivate velleities than illusions"

x-D

headphones system:

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!

still 8 7 minutes to that 😉

headphones system:

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dminches said:

The diagram in the user guide shows the server and NAS connected to the main, generic switch and that switch connected to one of the “A’ ports.  Is there any advantage to connecting the server and NAS directly to the “A” ports?

"A typical user will attach a single Ethernet cable from their main network router or switch to any of these ‘A’-side ports—as illustrated on the opposite page. This leaves open three additional RJ45 copper ports (and the SFP cage) on the ‘A’ side. The choice to connect any server, NAS (network attached storage), or other devices to these ports—or to leave that equipment attached to your main upstream switch/router—is mostly a matter of convenience and effects on sonic performance are likely to be small."

;)

headphones system:

• 2 weeks later...

... how can you be sure you were among the first 23 buyers? 😛

headphones system:

Quick Start Guide and User Manual? ;)

headphones system:

• 2 weeks later...

warming-up/burning-in the new amplifier (in signature) UPS dropped at my door this morning :) and training my ears to its sound... while eagerly waiting for my EtherRegen ;)

headphones system:

FedEx shipping notice states my EtherRegen is due for delivery tomorrow :) so, in preparation (as my ethernet cables are pretty stiff), today I bought one of those Audiophile Doorstoppers. you know... the Darko Certified ones:

DarkosDoor.jpg

😛

headphones system:

headphones system:

aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!! my EtherRegen delivery, due today, has been rescheduled to Monday 😡

😢

headphones system:

nope: that was by Royal Fail (as the brits call it ;) )

DHL on its part... once took 15 days from Germany 😡

headphones system:

11 hours ago, Superdad said:

can you try pushing the FO module into the EtherREGEN's SFP cage just a bit harder?  During testing we have found this to be required and I think a couple of other folks here had similar issue as you and then got it to work by re-seating firmly

exactly what happened here

couldn't get the fiber link up but after removing/reinserting the SFP a couple of times all was fine

headphones system:

31 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

From all of the posts in this and the other eR threads it would be interesting to determine if any clear correlation exists between system network complexity and unhappiness with the eR

let's see ;)

my eR connects all of my music gear (dedicated NAS included) but... fiber comes from a TP-Link switch (other non music stuff plugged in there by copper, including a wi-fi repeater) connected by copper to a Netgear one (even more non-music stuff plugged in there), three stores upstairs, connected to the TP-Link router, connected to my ISP's modem with fiber coming in 😛

I believe (might be just a sensation: we're talking 10th of a second) connections (to my Roon core and to the NAS) are snappier with the eR than they used to be with my previous setup: TP-Link MC + Cisco switch

EDIT: wait... connections are snappier indeed: I also have a Pi+AlloDigiOne connected to the eR (for a secondary system) that... used to take ages (5~10 seconds) to connect to via a web browser when I needed to change RoPieee settings. now it takes 1~2 seconds

headphones system:

might just be the result of... you know... turn everything off/wait/turn everything back on

sometime engineers are right 😛

headphones system:

Italy (Milano) here and...

1383933615_Screenshot2019-11-24at19_13_48.thumb.png.d59bbba3c3996a28a5df6cabec1a66ca.png

might be something with your ISP. and maybe just temporary

try using Cloud Flare's DNSs: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 instead of your provider's ;)

headphones system:

• 3 years later...

Alex... any chance the new ER will also sport an SFP slot on B side?

(just got a Lumin U2 and... to me... the optical port, connected to a Mikrotik switch, sounds as good as the copper one connected to the ER)

headphones system: