IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Other end will have an SFP Fiber Ethernet cage, an LED, a DC input jack, and the one very special, clean and highly isolated Ethernet "output" jack (which is 10/1000Mb, not Gigabit)

I guess you mean 10/100 Mbps.  I hope it's OK to ask for a clarification on this point.  Are the SFP fiber ethernet cage and the isolated ethernet output jack two separate ports?  If so, I guess I don't understand the role of the SFP cage.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Here is a totally overpriced switch

Spending $5000. No way. 

I used to think $500 was an overpriced switch.  I still do.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

• 4 weeks later...

@JohnSwenson have you built the measurement equipment you need for your research yet?

35 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Looking forward to a Signature Rendu SE MKll with optical interface

Can we please move all the speculation to some other thread?  

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

@superdad and @JohnSwenson can you please explain how EtherREGEN and Sonore systemOptique work together?  Some use cases would be helpful.  I'm not clear whether I need both products or just EtherREGEN.  I realize that Jesus hasn't yet announced all the systemOptique components.

6 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

the Sonore opticalModule is a simple bidirectional optical Ethernet to/from cable Ethernet converter

I guess my initial question is whether it's worth putting a Sonore opticalModule between my router and the EtherREGEN using the SFP fiber ethernet input of the EtherREGEN.  Would this yield any better results at the clean isolated output of the EtherREGEN, or is it unnecessary?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So we're now 24 pages deep into Please don't ask too many questions yet!

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Anyway, go ahead, ask anything you like.  It is just the interesting stuff and the stuff that will generate interesting questions is the stuff we are not ready to talk about.

I'm glad we had this little chat.

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: Early general details [We are late but getting closer! ;-)]
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Matias said:

The QB-9DSD also utilizes opto-couplers to provide
total electrical isolation for the connections between
your computer and music system.

Funny, even the original Uptone Audio REGEN made a significant improvement to the sound of my QB-9 DSD.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Superdad said:

The above tests, if they reveal what we hope, could be a VERY BIG DEAL for the digital audio community.  Not just for our own products.

Maybe you can get John Atkinson to do a review of the JS GGB CTS.  Sorry, but 'birth of a new world' is taken.

@Superdad and @JohnSwenson with reference to the Optical Isolation block in @mfaoro's diagram ...

What if that block is a Sonore opticalModule sitting between the router and the optical SFP module of the EtherREGEN.  I then connect my endpoint NUC to the port on the other side of the EtherREGEN (with its own power/clocking domain), and my DAC is connected to the NUC via USB.

Do you expect that this configuration would sound any better than just going from the router into one of the non-optical ports on the EtherREGEN?  Given the isolation of the EtherREGEN output port, is there any further benefit to coming into the EtherREGEN with optical?

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

In other words, if I connect two devices, will it matter which side faces the DAC vs. the other?

I love Larry's experimental approach to everything.  A while back, he told me he got a new outboard motor for his boat.  I suggested he should try mounting it at the bow rather than the stern to see if it worked better that way. 🙄

Larry's unconventional methods have given us some really valuable insights.  I just like to kid him about it.

OK so the EtherREGEN is symmetrical except for the fact that the B side is the native side of the clock generator.  I hope I have that right.

It sounds like there's no point to going optical after passing through the EtherREGEN in either direction since it already takes care of leakage and blocks upstream phase noise.  Is that also correct?

So if you have an EtherREGEN, an opticalRendu would have to outperform an ultraRendu for reasons beyond just having an optical interface.

• 5 weeks later...

Has John compared the sound of an EtherREGEN prototype board with 12V LPS-1.2 vs the supplied SMPS?  It would be useful to know how much a good LPS contributes to the sound.  Or maybe it doesn't.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Clearly they sent the wrong part

Does your distributor have the required quantities of the right part?

44 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Of course this is why we ALWAYS run pre-production boards!

Getting a board of this complexity 100% right on the first shot must be a tremendous challenge.

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Of course now you gents have me thinking about all the text and diagrams I need to create for the User Guide.  I have yet to write a word of it!

I started my IT career doing tech support for mainframe software like MVS, CICS and VTAM that each came with a massive library of thick manuals.  These days people won't even read a fold-out card.

You write very clearly, Alex.  I'm sure once you get started it will come together nicely.

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Superdad said:

Discovering which will be the full of it for everyone!

It also might be fun.  

On 10/10/2019 at 8:18 AM, vortecjr said:

I agree with you. However, the silly thread will say you need two ERs in series each with external reference clocks in order to get good sound. Also, for good measure the silly thread will say you need two linear power supplies that you have to wait over a year to get or it just won't sound quite right. I'm just saying... 

There's very little discussion of Sonore products on the silly thread.  People need to actually try things out themselves to decide what makes a positive difference in their system.  Of course, you can choose to just believe vendor fairytales instead.

I don't know any other designer of audio components that would disclose that level of detail.