IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well, despite the fact that we are not aiming the EtherREGEN directly at opticalRendu users, I really must correct you here. Due to the extraordinary differential isolation and reclocking, it will most always be best to have the EtherREGEN as the last device feeding the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer. If you insert a device in-between—even the best-in-class opticaModule FMC—then you reintroduce another path for leakage and new phase-noise modulation.

So for the person ( @Musikfan) you were replying to, (technically) the better arrangement options will to skip the opticModule and run copper into the EtherREGEN and optical out to the opticalRendu.

@JohnSwenson John, since you have been involved in the development of both products (I think) do you mind commenting on this?  How would you recommend one configure an opticalRendu and an EtherRegen?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

31 minutes ago, Superdad said:

He did so already: :)

Well, not fully.  I am curious if he would recommend not using an opticalModule with the EtherRegen.  The disadvantage of using the SFP output on the A side to feed the opticalRendu is that he recommends not using all the other A ports.  I want to use the A ports for my NAS and music server.

I guess I will just have to do some testing after I get the EtherRegen.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Alex,  giving us some peaks into your world is informative and appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Actually, writing this makes me realize the one scenario in which someone with just copper Ethernet might want to feed their DAC-attached endpoint from the 'A' side (with nothing else attached there) and connect to their network via the 'B' side

Alex, are you saying this is the preferred approach with only cooper Ethernet?

The user guide says that connecting the server and NAS to the “A” side directly as opposed to just connecting the switch they are currently connected to would have a minimal effect on the sound.  Thus, it seems as though what you are saying above may be the best way to connect the EtherRegen.

2 minutes ago, k-man said:

Only in the situation if both server and endpoint are both powered by JS-2, as what was discussed directly above your post. If they are not galvanically isolated between the pair, at least they are isolated from the more harmful network side (router, Wi-fi mesh, general PCs, etc).

I would like Alex to confirm that since the way it is written does not make it contingent on using one PS for both.  That may be the case but it isn't 100% clear to me.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ricardo007 said:

Better to habe 3 dedicated switches linked to each server nas streamer on one side all sws connected to a router non wireless like ubiquti edgerouter 6p .

One of the switch is etherregen for streamer. 2 other cheap cheap pro cisco 2960. Use sfp port on router reconfigured as lan port to link with etherregen with startech 80km sfp module monomode fiber

See i have my plan...

Maybe you have a diagram to illustrate what you are saying?  It isn't clear from your text.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, joelha said:

So now I just receive a message saying the file I'm trying to copy is too large for the destination file system.

Joel

What file are you trying to copy to the EtherRegen folder?