IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

In other words, the comparison is:

Wired Ethernet into the optimised ‘input’ with optical SFP output to Optical Rendu

vs

Wired or optical Ethernet into a ‘standard’ input with ‘optimised’ wired output to an Optical Module (en route to the Optical Rendu).

Once the hardware is on sale, I will await future comparisons with great interest! 🤔

6 minutes ago, thyname said:

Incorrect! There is no "dirty" or "clean" site, as long as you go input / output across 

Per Alex's first post in this thread:

"The goal of the unit is to provide full isolation (and very high-quality clocking) for one special "clean" port--to be the port that feeds your Ethernet-attached streamer/renderer/DAC device (be that something like a micro/ultraRendu, Aries, SOtM, Ethernet input DAC, or whatever Ethernet connection is most directly connected to your DAC)."

Did this change?

1 minute ago, ericuco said:

Per Alex's first post in this thread:

"The goal of the unit is to provide full isolation (and very high-quality clocking) for one special "clean" port--to be the port that feeds your Ethernet-attached streamer/renderer/DAC device (be that something like a micro/ultraRendu, Aries, SOtM, Ethernet input DAC, or whatever Ethernet connection is most directly connected to your DAC)."

Did this change?

Yes it did. I cannot find Alex's subsequent post on this issue, a couple of months ago, but it is in this thread

I guess it all boils down to what detrimental impact (if any) the addition of an Opitcal Module has on the quality of the feed from the optimised port. By all accounts, the OM is being designed to be a simple low-noise solution which should out-perform other FMCs. Whether this claim is audible is open to opinion of course, but the approach being taken is reassuring at least.

Acknowledge him Alex. This system of information release drop by drop, you have obtained it from some secret manual of torture of the KGB 😂

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

This may be speculation at this point, but I'm going to ask anyway:  🤓

Regarding a fiber optic isolation filter, (Gigafoil for example):   Is it believed that etherRegen might work additively in tandem with the g.foil, or would the etherRegen make it redundant? 

15 hours ago, wwc said:

This may be speculation at this point, but I'm going to ask anyway:  🤓

Regarding a fiber optic isolation filter, (Gigafoil for example):   Is it believed that etherRegen might work additively in tandem with the g.foil, or would the etherRegen make it redundant? 

I don't really know what is in a Gigafoil so it is hard to speculate, but my guess is that the EtherRegen would make it superfluous. 

Remember that the etherRegen has two primary things: provide isolation from upstream leakage current (in all forms), AND prevent upstream clock noise (phase noise, jitter, whatever you want to call it) from propagating through.

To my knowledge nobody else is doing both those.

John S.

20 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I don't really know what is in a Gigafoil so it is hard to speculate, but my guess is that the EtherRegen would make it superfluous. 

Remember that the etherRegen has two primary things: provide isolation from upstream leakage current (in all forms), AND prevent upstream clock noise (phase noise, jitter, whatever you want to call it) from propagating through.

To my knowledge nobody else is doing both those.

John S.

Thanks, promises, promises, Johnn, so we can’t wait much longer. A release date, please? 🙏

I think Jos is right.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

26 minutes ago, Jud said:

Who knows if there may be any one of a thousand things that cause even a firmly projected release date to slip?  My advice to manufacturers and developers is never to set release dates until the software can be downloaded or the hardware exists in quantity and can be ordered.  Otherwise it happens far too often that the release date is missed and people don't like that.

Agree, but we are a year later now after starting this thread by Uptone Audio. I believe it is also a way from companies to prevent people from buying something similar. I don't care to wait a little longer than promised, if they can't reach a dead-line for a viable reason, but in this case there is no horizon, beside: 'we are getting closer'. So, I want to know: how close? And I assume others too.

1 minute ago, jos said:

Agree, but we are a year later now after starting this thread by Uptone Audio. I believe it is also a way from companies to prevent people from buying something similar. I don't care to wait a little longer than promised, if they can't reach a dead-line for a viable reason, but in this case there is no horizon, beside: 'we are getting closer'. So, I want to know: how close? And I assume others too.

Yes, I can certainly see your point.  On the other hand, if you make your decision based on a projected release date and that slips....

So I am not sure there is one right answer here. I think everyone must make their own decisions.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

As someone with "only" a streamer, I'd like to know more too, since their fine USB products don't help me in my situation.  How much will the EtherREGEN really cost, and when can I order one if I wish to do so?

However,

I expect Alex and John probably like to eat, like the rest of us, but it seems they are in this business because they love it, and they love what they produce.  Therefore, I assume they haven't set a release date because they just (reasonably) can't.  Regardless of the reason - upgrading or field testing the design, testing more components, finishing reliability studies, or parts (or one part) not yet available in quantity - surely they'd rather move from the design phase, and all the myriad paths and decisions still available to them, to the "sell it" phase, where there are almost no decisions to be made anymore: just accept orders, ship products, and make sure they have enough parts coming in so they don't run out.  I'm sure they'd like nothing more this week than be able to start accepting orders (or pre-orders)!

So I'm trying to be patient.  Easier because my headphone amp is six weeks from arriving though...

Who would have thought Idiocracy would turn out to be a documentary!?

Mapleshade Samson V.5 equipment rack, 4" maple platforms and brass vibration isolation, DH Labs 12ga Silver Sonic Power Plus dedicated power line, IsoTek Sirius EVO3 Power Conditioner, EtherREGEN, InSound Audio Ebony Cat8 Ethernet Cable, Linn Genki CD player (transport), Cary DMS-550 streamer/DAC, Linear Tube Audio Z10e amplifier, (For Sale:) Pass Labs HPA-1 amplifier, Meze Empyrian headphones, various Omega-Micro analog and digital interconnects and power cords. 

Well... my current d-link switch is quite adequate for the job at the moment. I plan to wait as long as needed for this product to surface. I have not been enamored of the other upgraded switches so far (function to price ratio). I would look again at the other offerings if  this fails to make it to market, or some other terminal negative.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

13 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well one thing I am fairly confident in restating is that EtherREGEN will sell for about $600 (+/- $25 should not matter to anyone)...

That is good to hear; I just emailed a guy telling him I'd budgeted $750...  Of course there is the matter of an upgrading to an LPS.  I have come and gone on this thread so I didn't remember, or know, what the recent estimate was.

As I said before, I'm sure everyone is doing all they can to get the EtherREGEN to market.  More and more people are taking up streaming daily, so there is a market for it and I'm sure you will be as excited for it to appear as we are.  In the end, what is good for you is good for us - it does none of us any good for the product to come out when in reality it is only "almost" ready.

You are very kind to give a concise update.

Who would have thought Idiocracy would turn out to be a documentary!?

Mapleshade Samson V.5 equipment rack, 4" maple platforms and brass vibration isolation, DH Labs 12ga Silver Sonic Power Plus dedicated power line, IsoTek Sirius EVO3 Power Conditioner, EtherREGEN, InSound Audio Ebony Cat8 Ethernet Cable, Linn Genki CD player (transport), Cary DMS-550 streamer/DAC, Linear Tube Audio Z10e amplifier, (For Sale:) Pass Labs HPA-1 amplifier, Meze Empyrian headphones, various Omega-Micro analog and digital interconnects and power cords. 

Well that is an honest explanation. You tell us frankly about the technical problems and that is much better than silence. After this explanation, I will wait as long as necessary.

Regards

Francisco

Just now, thyname said:

‘Like what?

I can find at least two products in the AS forum.  Definitely not from Uptone.  Will not name them here but the two products are pretty infamous, MPOV, and you can see people losing patience rightly, again MPOV.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:02 PM, Superdad said:

as long as you are crossing the moat one way or the other.

And the only way to cross that moat is still to use the only one 100mhz RJ45 port ?

Nothing changed as explained in John’s post below. 

Then if one are an opticalRendu user, use that 5th RJ45 as input and the SFP as output.

Should have exactly same effect as going the other way (fiber in), or use one of the 4 other RJ45 as input.

12 hours ago, greenleo said:

I can find at least two products in the AS forum.  Definitely not from Uptone.  Will not name them here but the two products are pretty infamous, MPOV, and you can see people losing patience rightly, again MPOV.

Infamous? Are you sure?

Infamous = known for bad quality....Did you you mean 'renown' or or 'well-known'?

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini]