Superdad

EtherREGEN: Early general details [We are late but getting closer! ;-)]

Rate this topic

Hi Alex!

Are there already any picture you could share? 

I know... anxiety :-)

Have a great weekend!

Jorge 

AMP: Electrocompaniet ECI-6D; DAC: Chord Qutest, iFi iDSD BL, Oppo 205, ECI-6D; Streamer/endpoint: Sonic transporter i5 + uRendu

Speakers: Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature; CD/SACD: Oppo 205

Cables: Speakers (Acoustic Revive) + RCA (au24sx) + RJ45 (Vodka Audioquest) + USB (Diamond Audioquest) + Power (Pangea's + Actinote's)  

Filters: Jensen VRD- iFF + Pink Faun Isolator + Acoustic revive ground isolator RGC-24

Switch: Cisco Catalyst 2960 8 Port

Others: Sboosters MKII + HDplex 200  

It’s my recollection that he mentioned it was being designed to fit in an enclosure similar to their current aluminum extrusion cases now. Something like the LPS box with Ethernet ports, power input, grounding stud, and fiber module box studded across both front and back of the case.

Not sure if this concept has endured, or not. As they have not finalized the board yet, I doubt there are pictures yet.

[Home Digital] Bricasti M12 > McIntosh MC60 > Zu Druid V + Undertone (BHSE + Voce)

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > K&K Audio Phono Amp (Zu DL-103/Benz Glider-SL/Denon DL-301 II)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Focal Utopia Headphones (balanced)

[beach/Travel] Laptop > DragonFly Red > Ether Headphones

1 hour ago, ronfint said:

Sorry for re-introducing an old issue, but will there be an option for replacing the 75 ohm BNC with a 50 ohm BNC?

I believe Alex will solder a 50 ohm BNC upon request. But that might have changed since. 

[ AERIS G2 ] => [ MC3+USB x 3 <- -REF10 ] => [ Genelec 8341 x 2 + 7360 x 2 ]

[ Switchable to  [ Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350 ]

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Jorge:

Sorry, no photos yet.  But @Bones13 is correct, the case will be exactly the same size and style as we use for the UltraCap power supplies (and as Sonore uses for the ultra and optical Rendus).

One end has the 4 Gigabit RJ45 copper ports and the SFP cage for optical.

The other end has the "across the active isolators, in its own clock and power domain" RJ45 port,  a DC power jack, a power LED, a ground thumb screw, a 75ohm BNC for optional 10MHz reference clock input, and a tiny switch that selects internal/external clock (and no, the clock signal does not actually go though that switch, it just triggers a circuit).

So with the above info you should be able to close your eyes and picture the whole exterior.  Of course the real magic engineering happens on the 6-layer circuit board inside.  That's also where all the money is--not on a fancy case (though I know some here would like that).  :D

Yes I have the full picture. Thank you Alex.

Pretty ugly device, but I’m sure it will make me happy 🙂

Cheers. Jorge

AMP: Electrocompaniet ECI-6D; DAC: Chord Qutest, iFi iDSD BL, Oppo 205, ECI-6D; Streamer/endpoint: Sonic transporter i5 + uRendu

Speakers: Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature; CD/SACD: Oppo 205

Cables: Speakers (Acoustic Revive) + RCA (au24sx) + RJ45 (Vodka Audioquest) + USB (Diamond Audioquest) + Power (Pangea's + Actinote's)  

Filters: Jensen VRD- iFF + Pink Faun Isolator + Acoustic revive ground isolator RGC-24

Switch: Cisco Catalyst 2960 8 Port

Others: Sboosters MKII + HDplex 200  

1 hour ago, ronfint said:

Sorry for re-introducing an old issue, but will there be an option for replacing the 75 ohm BNC with a 50 ohm BNC?

Yes, the plan is to have our board house leave the BNC (and a resistor) off a few dozen boards.  Then I'll stock some 50 ohm BNCs (and the correct termination resistors) and install upon request.  For cost and stocking reasons this is probably the best way.  Most people are not going to be using EtherREGEN with an external clock, and the majority of those who are are more likely to need 75ohm.

I would like it If I can also order an Uptone Audio approved 25cm ethernet cable to connect it to my ultraRendu.

Hope the unit’s female RJ45 accepts the higher end connectors, often found on AudioQuest and WireWorld Ethernet cables. I know that my cable, using a Metz male plug, has trouble locking in place in some switches, and needs some home-brew work to stay in place when plugged into my Roon Nucleus. 

Steve Schaffer

Roon Nucleus/ WD USB Drive / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler  / dCS Vivaldi DAC / dCS Vivaldi Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral DMA-500 monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 speakers

1 hour ago, jos said:

I would like it If I can also order an Uptone Audio approved 25cm ethernet cable to connect it to my ultraRendu.

I have used and liked the Blue Jeans/Belden CAT6A for over 5 years.  It is a bit thick and will be stiff in the short length you propose.  I have never tried any of the boutique audio brand Ethernet cables so can't comment on those.

At present it is not our intention to sell or include with the EthernetREGEN any Ethernet cables.  But the truth is I had not thought about the subject until you mentioned it. B|

58 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Hope the unit’s female RJ45 accepts the higher end connectors, often found on AudioQuest and WireWorld Ethernet cables. I know that my cable, using a Metz male plug, has trouble locking in place in some switches, and needs some home-brew work to stay in place when plugged into my Roon Nucleus. 

Well the (12 transformer core per port) magjacks we chose for the EtherREGEN are, to my chagrin, some of the most expensive on the market. At just under $25 our cost at quantity for the total 5 copper ports, these are not what you will find on a cheap $20-60 switch.

So I sure hope that nobody has trouble using fancy RJ45 plugs with them! :ph34r:

In the absense of my bringing over a couple of these for testing, wherever that’s happening, I guess I’ll just have to await getting the EtherREGEN in my system. 

Steve Schaffer

Roon Nucleus/ WD USB Drive / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler  / dCS Vivaldi DAC / dCS Vivaldi Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral DMA-500 monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 speakers

I have been reading an article (review) about ethernet cables (not off-topic to much, I think), including the combinations you can make with different brands. Perhaps this review is somewhat valid voor the etherREGEN too. I guess Superdad would know for sure. For who is interested, see....

https://audiobacon.net/2017/07/09/sotm-iso-cat6-special-edition-the-flavors-of-audiophile-ethernet/

Ouch, his favorite setup is ~$2,500!

I really plan to use a simpler Ethernet cable with clean-up provided by etherRegen, and my Bricasti unit. I currently have some Cables off of Amazon, that have only 2 twisted pair of wires (no PPoE), thin, and flexible, and sound the same as other commercial Cat5-7 cables that have been there, and the one AudioQuest cable I own.

I have a typical amount of audiophile nervousa, but I’m not willing to pay that much for digital cables. I’m also sure that my 60 year old ears will never detect timbre, and sound stage, differences between competently constructed Ethernet cables. YMMV, of course.

[Home Digital] Bricasti M12 > McIntosh MC60 > Zu Druid V + Undertone (BHSE + Voce)

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > K&K Audio Phono Amp (Zu DL-103/Benz Glider-SL/Denon DL-301 II)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Focal Utopia Headphones (balanced)

[beach/Travel] Laptop > DragonFly Red > Ether Headphones

Well, as the subject has shifted to Ethernet cables, I was wondering whether to use UTP or STP between the optimised wired output of the EtherREGEN and an Ultrarendu. Assuming the EtherREGEN is earthed down at its grounding point (I will probably try this), is there a noise rejection benefit in using a short run of STP to the Ultrarendu if I feed the uR with an LPS-1 (output not grounded)?

I have Supra cat8 cables all over my house and they are not very expensive, and do have  fantastic shielding. In my opinion shielding is very important (without the etherREGEN in place). Before my ultraRendu, I have had a long Supra USB 2.0 cable and that was a great cable too. Also with superior shielding.  So I Will stick to Supra, but perhaps I wil chose an other cable after the etherREGEN based on the review mentioned  before.

1 hour ago, Bones13 said:

Ouch, his favorite setup is ~$2,500!

I really plan to use a simpler Ethernet cable with clean-up provided by etherRegen, and my Bricasti unit. I currently have some Cables off of Amazon, that have only 2 twisted pair of wires (no PPoE), thin, and flexible, and sound the same as other commercial Cat5-7 cables that have been there, and the one AudioQuest cable I own.

I have a typical amount of audiophile nervousa, but I’m not willing to pay that much for digital cables. I’m also sure that my 60 year old ears will never detect timbre, and sound stage, differences between competently constructed Ethernet cables. YMMV, of course.

Yes, that is ridiculous indeed! I would chose for Blue Jeans 6a or Supra cat8.

Hi gents:

There are a number of other threads in the public forums where people are discussing Ethernet cables.  Please take discussion of such there--so that this thread does not wander off. 9_9

Thanks,

--Alex C.

I wasn’t looking at particular brand comparisons per sé, it was more an SOS / plea for advice regarding the need (or otherwise) for shielding on a short cable run from the EtherREGEN and an UltraRendu. I think the trick is to avoiding multiple earths (i.e. ground the shield at one end only), so if the EtherREGEN is deliberately grounded (as it will be LPS-1 fed) and the UltraRendu is fed from the floated output of an LPS-1, I presume I’m OK using S/FTP cable?

Sorry if this is ‘speaking out of turn’ on this particular forum.

12 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

...plea for advice regarding the need (or otherwise) for shielding on a short cable run from the EtherREGEN and an UltraRendu. I think the trick is to avoiding multiple earths (i.e. ground the shield at one end only), so if the EtherREGEN is deliberately grounded (as it will be LPS-1 fed) and the UltraRendu is fed from the floated output of an LPS-1, I presume I’m OK using S/FTP cable?

Sorry that I did not answer your question directly (and my off-topic admonishment was directed at the other two fellows peeking down the rabbit hole :P).

It is preferred to use Ethernet cables that do not have metal shrouds over their RJ-45 plugs--as there is a possibility (depending upon the internal magnetics configuration of other devices) of undesirably linking grounds.

Most Ethernet cables with shields do have metal shrouds, however, the Blue Jeans/Belden CAT6A that we like is shielded--but has no shrouds and leaves the shield floating.  Effectiveness of that shield and comparisons to other cables are outside the scope of this thread.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Alex C.

13 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Sorry that I did not answer your question directly (and my off-topic admonishment was directed at the other two fellows peeking down the rabbit hole :P).

It is preferred to use Ethernet cables that do not have metal shrouds over their RJ-45 plugs--as there is a possibility (depending upon the internal magnetics configuration of other devices) of undesirably linking grounds.

Most Ethernet cables with shields do have metal shrouds, however, the Blue Jeans/Belden CAT6A that we like is shielded--but has no shrouds and leaves the shield floating.  Effectiveness of that shield and comparisons to other cables are outside the scope of this thread.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Alex C.

Perfect! Thanks for the advice 👍🏻

On 3/3/2019 at 7:54 PM, Superdad said:

Hi gents:

There are a number of other threads in the public forums where people are discussing Ethernet cables.  Please take discussion of such there--so that this thread does not wander off. 9_9

Thanks,

--Alex C.

You are right, but we need the etherREGEN at Home to discus it further...😍

Hello Alex.

Trying to understand if this design is meant for an application such as mine: I have a regular PC running Roon in a bedroom, my audio PC on the rack running HQPlayer and connected thru USB to a multichannel DAC. Both PCs connect thru CAT6 to the router, as does the internet service provider modem.

Is the etherRegen meant to be connected to the modem and Roon PC on the dirty side and the AudioPC on the clean side?

Regards

Horacio

Roon Server: Gigabyte GA-Z170X UD5, i5 6600, Crucial MX200 SSD, HyperX 1x16GB RAM, Seasonic 520W 80+ PSU, 3 HDD for media, Zalman Z3 Plus case, Win 10 Pro

HQPlayer: Intel S1200KPR, Xeon E3 1265lv2, Crucial V4 SSD for OS, 8GB ECC RAM, PPA USB card v2, wide range picoPSU, PPA SATA cable for SSD, Streacom FC8 Evo case, lab linear PSU for picoPSU, Windows Server 2012 R2, AudioPhil's Optimizer, Acourate (digital crossovers, room correction), HQPlayer upsampling to 192/24

Rest of Chain:

Lynx Hilo as 6-channel DAC, McIntosh MC275 MkIV for mids & treble, Hypex UcD400HG for midbass into B&W 804S, 2 DIY 12" Rythmik subs, Equi=Core 1800 balanced power, dedicated power lines, room treatments

1 hour ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Hello Alex.

Trying to understand if this design is meant for an application such as mine: I have a regular PC running Roon in a bedroom, my audio PC on the rack running HQPlayer and connected thru USB to a multichannel DAC. Both PCs connect thru CAT6 to the router, as does the internet service provider modem.

Is the etherRegen meant to be connected to the modem and Roon PC on the dirty side and the AudioPC on the clean side?

Regards

Horacio

Is your modem also a router?  For home users, switch should be connected to a router in general as the simplest solution.