IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

John's clock-block

That  made me laugh!  I had to do a double take on that to make sure I read that right!!!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I see Hans Beekhuyzen has suffered a similar problem in his recent jitter video.....

Hans2.JPG

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

With trepidation I ask any question. I have an EERO about 4 feet from my Ultrarendu which is connected by ethernet. The Ultrarendu is connected to a Mytek Dac by USB. I may have a good linear power supply powering the Rendu and Dac but it always seemed weird to me because the EERO is powered by whatever they gave me and instructed me to plugin and I am not sure it was developed for audio. The EERO is the first network that works in my house so I am not complaining. 

If I understand I can plug the EtherREGEN in between my EERO and my Ultrarendu and it will filter out most extraneous electrical noise. 

22 hours ago, Michaelb4 said:

With trepidation I ask any question. I have an EERO about 4 feet from my Ultrarendu which is connected by ethernet. The Ultrarendu is connected to a Mytek Dac by USB. I may have a good linear power supply powering the Rendu and Dac but it always seemed weird to me because the EERO is powered by whatever they gave me and instructed me to plugin and I am not sure it was developed for audio. The EERO is the first network that works in my house so I am not complaining. 

If I understand I can plug the EtherREGEN in between my EERO and my Ultrarendu and it will filter out most extraneous electrical noise. 

Yes, as long as the etherRegen is the last ethernet connection is etherRegen -> ultraRendu, you will get the cleaning effects of the etherRegen.

My audio stack has an Ethernet switch in it for streamer, Roku, and Oppo BluRay. I’m looking for the etherRegen to make a clean connection to the streamer, while keeping junk from my network, and digital devices in the stack, from that last link.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

I’m a little confused now (and forgive me because it’s somewhat off-topic) , but I just received a mail from SmallGreen Computer about the opticalRendu. They can deliver this device with a kind of switch too and now I’m asking myself: is this a worthy alternatieve, or something totally different? In my mind I want to stay with one kind of connection (ethernet), but if it sounds better than my ultraRendu and I don’t have to buy the etherREGEN....

14 minutes ago, k-man said:

If your trade-in from ultrarendu to opticalrendu (plus any further purchases of systemOptique and/or Optical module)  exceeds $600, then the etherREGEN makes more sense.

A valid point.

But there's also an issue of timing. No one knows when the etherREGN will be available. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

11 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

A valid point.

But there's also an issue of timing. No one knows when the etherREGN will be available. 

Thank you both. If the sound quality will be the same (and I think it will), than I will prefer the etherREGEN. I think it will keep things more simple too.

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Since I know you are referencing Sonore and Small Green Computer's mention of an "Ethernet switch" built into the opticalRendu, I will clarify that for all:

Without going into too much technical detail (Sonore understandably does not like it if I explain the details of their products), I can tell you that the opticalRendu uses an Ethernet switch chip as the means to provide the optical Ethernet input.  But since there is only the one SFP-cage for input to the opticalRendu, it is just a single-port Ethernet switch.  Similar to how our USB hub-chip-based REGENs are single-port USB hubs.

======

As a reminder, the key differentiating advantage that EtherREGEN will offer (and I am not referring directly to the opticalRendu as that fine product has a different function as a rendering end-point) over anything else is its separate, isolated, ultra-low-phase noise clock domain.

This comes courtesy of newly available active, 600MHz, ultra-low-jitter digital isolators on the Ethernet signal--something nobody else has done--clocking run as differential lines, and 10GHz(!) differential flip-flops.  And of course that all has to occur on its own separate power domain, so a more costly isolated power converter module combined with a boatload of LT3042/45 ultra-low-noise regulators are used.

Thanks, but I was meaning the additional staterskit with the switch inside.

1 hour ago, jos said:

Thanks, but I was meaning the additional staterskit with the switch inside.

It’s been mentioned several times, it’s the TRENDnet TEG-S51SFP which one can buy at any shop for cheap. The starter kit with switch, fiber optic cable and SFP module is just there to take out the guess work for people who are computer illiterate but still want to venture beyond their simple CD players. ;) 

9 hours ago, Dutch said:

It’s been mentioned several times, it’s the TRENDnet TEG-S51SFP which one can buy at any shop for cheap. The starter kit with switch, fiber optic cable and SFP module is just there to take out the guess work for people who are computer illiterate but still want to venture beyond their simple CD players. ;) 

Sorry, I’m not a technical person, but I think in the end I could chose between the opticalRendu with the starters kit (and sell my ultraRendu), or just add the etherREGEN to my ultraRendu. For now I prefer the latter.

Hi Alex!

Are there already any picture you could share? 

I know... anxiety :-)

Have a great weekend!

Jorge 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

It’s my recollection that he mentioned it was being designed to fit in an enclosure similar to their current aluminum extrusion cases now. Something like the LPS box with Ethernet ports, power input, grounding stud, and fiber module box studded across both front and back of the case.

Not sure if this concept has endured, or not. As they have not finalized the board yet, I doubt there are pictures yet.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

1 hour ago, ronfint said:

Sorry for re-introducing an old issue, but will there be an option for replacing the 75 ohm BNC with a 50 ohm BNC?

I believe Alex will solder a 50 ohm BNC upon request. But that might have changed since. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Jorge:

Sorry, no photos yet.  But @Bones13 is correct, the case will be exactly the same size and style as we use for the UltraCap power supplies (and as Sonore uses for the ultra and optical Rendus).

One end has the 4 Gigabit RJ45 copper ports and the SFP cage for optical.

The other end has the "across the active isolators, in its own clock and power domain" RJ45 port,  a DC power jack, a power LED, a ground thumb screw, a 75ohm BNC for optional 10MHz reference clock input, and a tiny switch that selects internal/external clock (and no, the clock signal does not actually go though that switch, it just triggers a circuit).

So with the above info you should be able to close your eyes and picture the whole exterior.  Of course the real magic engineering happens on the 6-layer circuit board inside.  That's also where all the money is--not on a fancy case (though I know some here would like that).  :D

Yes I have the full picture. Thank you Alex.

Pretty ugly device, but I’m sure it will make me happy 🙂

Cheers. Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

1 hour ago, ronfint said:

Sorry for re-introducing an old issue, but will there be an option for replacing the 75 ohm BNC with a 50 ohm BNC?

Yes, the plan is to have our board house leave the BNC (and a resistor) off a few dozen boards.  Then I'll stock some 50 ohm BNCs (and the correct termination resistors) and install upon request.  For cost and stocking reasons this is probably the best way.  Most people are not going to be using EtherREGEN with an external clock, and the majority of those who are are more likely to need 75ohm.

Hope the unit’s female RJ45 accepts the higher end connectors, often found on AudioQuest and WireWorld Ethernet cables. I know that my cable, using a Metz male plug, has trouble locking in place in some switches, and needs some home-brew work to stay in place when plugged into my Roon Nucleus. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates