IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

He is getting closer.  The bare PCBs for the "clock cascade/blocking test/validation board" are on hand, but there are so many parts for the board that he decided to finish building his parts placing robot.  Below is an early pic.  It is MUCH further along now; control board wiring, camera mounting, vacuum pick-up, and computer connections are all being finished now.  I can't wait until it is done so he can post a video of it in action.

5af79365b200b_2018-04-2818_04_49.thumb.jpg.30d88dbb407feffd7ef2f044c838c66d.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2060de9cb713f96imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2060de9cb713f96

Definitely need a video seeing this in action!! Can't wait :-)

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

14 minutes ago, Jiffi32 said:

Definitely need a video seeing this in action!! Can't wait :-)

I imagine it'll look something like this:

The question in my mind is, what's wrong with commercially available pick and place machines?

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

It can take many hours to hand-place a 100+ tiny parts—with high risk of error.

I can imagine.

This DIY kit placer (LitePlacer.com) from Finland is just $2K, and the support John has received from them (including updated parts, spare part sent FedEx, etc.) has been extraordinary.

Oh, it's a kit. That makes sense. I got the impression it was something he'd built from scratch.

Plus, John already has a countertop vapor-phase reflow oven that does beautiful soldering—even with QFN and BGA parts. :D

That certainly helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 8:25 PM, JohnSwenson said:

The switch is designed to be used with the "clean port", the 10/100 one connecting directly to the critical device for audio, (ultraRendu etc) and all other connections, such as servers, NAS, compute engines etc. go into one of the other ports which are full gigabit.

Putting some other standard device in between our switch and the critical audio device (ultraRendu etc) just puts back in leakage and clock noise, negating what this switch is all about.

John S.

I currently have an AQVox switch, a Melco N1ZH60-2 (double RJ45 port) and a Lumin A1. Connection is from AQVox to Melco and from the second port RJ 45 to Lumin. I deduce from your answer that using your switch you should connect Melco to the dirty port of Uptone and the Clean Port of Uptone to Lumin, better than Clean Port from Uptone to Melco and second port from Melco to Lumin?

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

3 hours ago, nonesup said:

I currently have an AQVox switch, a Melco N1ZH60-2 (double RJ45 port) and a Lumin A1. Connection is from AQVox to Melco and from the second port RJ 45 to Lumin. I deduce from your answer that using your switch you should connect Melco to the dirty port of Uptone and the Clean Port of Uptone to Lumin, better than Clean Port from Uptone to Melco and second port from Melco to Lumin?

Correct, you want the clean port to be the last thing going into the Ethernet jack of whatever is the last Ethernet point in the audio chain.

John S.

Alex,

I am looking forward to more updates as you get closer to release. Things like power supply requirements, application notes/suggestions.  I will not ask about pricing yet!  Do not give away the farm!

Please do not let the noise over here distract you too much.  Hopefully, with the ending of this political season people, will start being more civil all around us.

As Hans says:  "Enjoy the Music!"

Bob

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

Hey Alex...how about accepting Pre-orders perhaps providing a little discount for early adopters!  I am afraid by Feb I will be out of money because of xmas, property tax, etc...in other words take me money now!!!!!!!

Sorry Tommy, we can't do that.  

a) It goes completely against my business ethics to accept money in advance for a product that does not yet have production PCBs and cases in production with firm delivery dates;

b) We would have to pay taxes this year for a product that will ship in 2019. ¬¬

c) We have not added up the final BoM (Bill of Materials) yet, so no final pricing has been set yet.  

We will do our best to keep the price very competitive (and I know it will be well under a rather pricey competitor), but there are a LOT of costly chips in this thing.  At last count I think were were up to 10 LT3042/45 voltage regulators, and those account for just half the power supply stuff.   There are quite a number of individual parts that themselves cost $10-15 each.  It is adding up quick! x-D

2 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Will you be offering the option of a 50-ohm master clock connector for those of us who are locked into that impedance?

Well I might start a poll because it seems like half of you want 50 ohms and the other half 75 ohms. O.o We can do either--but not both.  It is simply a single tiny surface mount resistor change--and either the 50 or 75 ohm BNC.  But it is not cost effective to run both versions of the board--and rear panel labels (then get stuck with more of one versus the other), especially since 90%+ of buyers will never even be using it with an external clock.

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well I might start a poll because it seems like half of you want 50 ohms and the other half 75 ohms. O.o We can do either--but not both.  It is simply a single tiny surface mount resistor change--and either the 50 or 75 ohm BNC.  But it is not cost effective to run both versions of the board--and rear panel labels (then get stuck with more of one versus the other), especially since 90%+ of buyers will never even be using it with an external clock.

Understood, but it's a little disconcerting from the consumer's perspective and could affect purchase decisions.

8 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Understood, but it's a little disconcerting from the consumer's perspective and could affect purchase decisions.

Really?!  There are so many other aspects that will make our switch terrific.  Frankly we went back and forth about even including the external clock option since we don't want to give the impression that use of one is required to obtain superior performance.

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Perhaps an impedance selector like this?

Given that all the major 10MHz reference clocks on the market have both 50 and 75 ohm outputs, why does it matter which we choose for input?