IGNORED

MQA on all iFi devices. AND on ANDROID!

Are the non MQA firmware versions like 5,2 going to continue to be developed? Or will those that don’t want MQA or would rather have DSD 512 going to be felt behind in firmware terms?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, firedog said:

Are the non MQA firmware versions like 5,2 going to continue to be developed? Or will those that don’t want MQA or would rather have DSD 512 going to be felt behind in firmware terms?

If you look at the history of iFi firmware updates, because we do this in-house, we have always and will continue to provide customers with different versions to suit. We expect to eventually release 5.3A and 5.3B to mirror the previous 5.XX releases. These are being actively developed.  But the 'if' and 'when' an unknowns at this stage.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

15 hours ago, firedog said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Would love to continue with the DSD 512 upgrades w/out any MQA.

I've just updated my nano iDSD LE to the 5.30 Firmware.

Tidal recognizes the new MQA device and plays through the nano iDSD LE after having done the correct settings.

All is fine so far, but streams that are originally in 24/192 from Tidal (verified with Audirvana), only play with 24/96 on the nano iDSD LE. This can be observed in the Audio-MIDI Setup window on the Mac as in Audirvana where the DAC-display turns to 24/96 as soon as a title is started. 

Is this the intended behavior for Tidal MQA?

On 2.04.2018 at 8:35 PM, mansr said:

As mud. The only rational explanation I can think of is that a firmware including both DSD512 and MQA support wouldn't fit in the XMOS flash memory. If that is the case, why not just say so?

Sorry, not the XMOS flash memory, which is copious. Please allow us to offer a brief technical explanation. While in many ways visionary (multi-threaded software with hardware-like guaranteed response times), the XMOS architecture like everything in life, is finite. And in this case, specifically available resources and MIPS are limited. The actual reason is that to implement MQA, digital processing is implemented as well and this consumes resources during runtime even in bypass mode (read: no MQA stream playing). While we would love so to speak, to feed 5,000 with two fish and five loafs of bread and have 12 baskets of leftovers (*), the joint software teams managed with the possible rather than the improbable . This is why we have offered our customers a choice MQA (v5.30) or non-MQA (v5.20).

(*) Mark 6:31-44

8 minutes ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

The actual reason is that to implement MQA, digital processing is implemented as well and this consumes resources during runtime even in bypass mode (read: no MQA stream playing).

Would it not be possible to disable all MQA related processing at the highest rates?

17 minutes ago, mansr said:

Would it not be possible to disable all MQA related processing at the highest rates?

Perhaps not. Is this evidence that MQA is processing your PCM and DSD no matter what you do? Does the architecture of MQA require the DAC manufacturer to allow in MQA to be doing something, essentially on all the time?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

29 minutes ago, crenca said:

Perhaps not. Is this evidence that MQA is processing your PCM and DSD no matter what you do? Does the architecture of MQA require the DAC manufacturer to allow in MQA to be doing something, essentially on all the time?

There is no technical reason for such a requirement.

4 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

The actual reason is that to implement MQA, digital processing is implemented as well and this consumes resources during runtime even in bypass mode (read: no MQA stream playing).

What is the nature of this required digital processing?  It's hard to imagine that it is so resource intensive that you had to drop DSD512.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

17 hours ago, Fridolin said:

Is this the intended behavior for Tidal MQA

I'm not familiar with your setup, but this sounds right to me.

If it's MQA 192, the initial decode on your Mac will only be to 96 ( which is what your Audio Midi is telling you)  the remaining "unfold" to 192 happens in the DAC.

I imagine that Audirvana is simply telling  you that it's tagged as a MQA 192 album, not that your Mac is outputting a 192 signal.

I use XXHE on a PC and see the same information.

13 hours ago, rickca said:

What is the nature of this required digital processing?  It's hard to imagine that it is so resource intensive that you had to drop DSD512.

We explained before that v5.30 is almost a complete re-write of the firmware (compared to v5.20). As such, this was not a trivial task - resource allocation, core loading etc.

If it was, then most audio companies would do the same as us and write their own customised XMOS code for their own machines.

37 minutes ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

We explained before that v5.30 is almost a complete re-write of the firmware (compared to v5.20). As such, this was not a trivial task - resource allocation, core loading etc.

That doesn't answer my question.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

9 hours ago, Norton said:

I'm not familiar with your setup, but this sounds right to me.

If it's MQA 192, the initial decode on your Mac will only be to 96 ( which is what your Audio Midi is telling you)  the remaining "unfold" to 192 happens in the DAC.

I imagine that Audirvana is simply telling  you that it's tagged as a MQA 192 album, not that your Mac is outputting a 192 signal.

I use XXHE on a PC and see the same information.

Thanks for your clarification.

So i would need a real MQA-DAC to get 24/192? I thought the iFi would do it for me with the 5.30 update.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

That doesn't answer my question.  

I think it probably does answer your and mine and @mansr question, in that the new code by accommodating new functionality (MQA), no longer has the ability to do DSD512.  Perhaps it is not MQA directly - only the new code was not optimized to the same extant...different goals, maybe even different coders, etc.

9 hours ago, Norton said:

It's good that you are providing the option of MQA, but as a potential customer, I'd feel more reassured if the engineering department had deemed measurements necessary, prior to release.

Norton, you flatter us with your common sense objectivist outlook :D

18 minutes ago, Fridolin said:

So i would need a real MQA-DAC to get 24/192? I thought the iFi would do it for me with the 5.30 update.

My understanding is that it should. Audirvana should do the first unold to 2X rates, and the iFi, as an MQA renderer, should do the second unfold to 4X rates and application of MQA filtering.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

We've been told that the problem is that the MQA code, for reasons unknown, insists on always doing some unspecified processing, even with non-MQA input, and this processing cannot be disabled, ever. If it could be disabled, then doing so for high-rate inputs (which can't be MQA anyway) would solve the lack of processing resources.

I wonder if that is not a "layman's" explanation, as it were.  In other words MQA is just fat code and working it in is inelegant, and iFi only had limited man hours, etc.

IF it is really truly always processing, then we are back to the important question as to what, exactly, is it doing and why, and what it means for our PCM/DSD.

51 minutes ago, Fridolin said:

With a "real" MQA DAC, you would disable the first "unfold" in software and your MIDI program would actually show only 24/48 (or 24/44).  The first unfold + any subsequent upsampling ALL happens in the DAC in that situation.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

27 minutes ago, mansr said:

We've been told that the problem is that the MQA code, for reasons unknown, insists on always doing some unspecified processing, even with non-MQA input, and this processing cannot be disabled, ever. If it could be disabled, then doing so for high-rate inputs (which can't be MQA anyway) would solve the lack of processing resources.

This is what I suspect is the issue:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/?do=findComment&comment=767945

1 hour ago, crenca said:

Norton, you flatter us with your common sense objectivist outlook

I may not meet the definition of an objectivist, but in part that's because I take it as read that the manufacturers I buy stuff from will have engineered and measured the hell out of it before bringing it  to market.