IGNORED

Headphones vs Speakers.....Go!

On 8/12/2018 at 12:47 AM, buonassi said:

And that sounds coming from each speaker would still reach both ears.  This doesn't happen with headphones.  It would be a similar sound stage still, I'm betting.  Never done it, have you?

Tried it, eventhough the sound still reach both ears, but the localization of the sources aka Speakers placements are recognized by the brain.  Similar to how you are walking away from the live performances that are 20 meters away.  Your brain can tell.  If someone can not tell, then that is personal.  A close monitor will not out perform a properly full scale large speakers that can be placed 15-20 feet’s away either by the way the soundscape projections are going.

crossfeed is just DSP either software or hardwares.  A properly done headphones will still have the sound out of your head, but not at the level of the full scale speakers can do.  There are strong points and weak points from both systems.  The only debatable points here is the ways we human enjoy the music, which can induce deafness.  I found that with my speakers, I usually enjoy very loud volumes when measured by IPhone apps, it is 95Db as normal.  When I used headphone, it is about 80-85Db normal.  With both of the instances, anything over 85Db will damage the hearing.  However, with headphones, it is starting to be painful around 80+ but speakers ? Nope...more satisfying.

my other friends who are into loud speakers, swear that speakers placements and room acoustic is another major things, who also argue that speakers even at louder listening level will not damage hearings as much as headphones due to it being so far away from the ears....

I just personally think that DB is DB, and as long as being exposed loud and Luong enough, we will have degraded our hearings.  Therefore, I tried to limit my sessions everyday regardless of the systems.  I do find myself preferring headphones more

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quality speaker all the way, it is completely different experience than headphone. Speakers sounds much real natural palpable which is the most important to me, it is airy easy without boundaries, visceral...
As nice as some headphone sound (and to be little objective there are of course some advantages in sound) but overal sound is compromise in most cases, also ears can quite often quickly tired which is big problem, also noticeably more dangerous for ears in longer run. And current prices of top headphone is honestly funny.

But I can give one big point to headphones, strangely I listened them more often in past almost every day. Speakers I use 1-2x for week when I have mood for it.

• 2 months later...

On 11/2/2018 at 6:23 AM, Jking said:

Also run 007a with both amped by a Stax SRM600 LE.   Would be hard to go back to speakers.

Ah, this is a lovely combo, it can make one to forget about a regular 2.0.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

hey @AMR/iFi audio - I'm surprised you haven't posted about the crossfeed capabilities of your guys' PRO amps and how that can sorta bridge the gap between 2ch and head-fi.  Maybe this is a way for a 2ch person to 'dip his toe' so to speak.  But I have been curious about the ican pro and how the 3D setting works.

Personally, I use Canopener Studio AU plugin every now and then for spectral delay modeling.  it's one of the only crossfeed methods I can tolerate because all processing is done in 32 bit float (minimum).  All the quality seems to be preserved.  It reduces fatigue by centering the bass more, yet because of the slight delay in the HFs actually pulls the instruments further out at the same time!

When you post are you the same person, or do you guys at iFi take turns on this login?  It would be great to get to know the person behind the trade account and inquire about preferences.  IE, how do you listen?  tell us about your personal chain if you're so inclined?

On 1/26/2019 at 3:14 PM, Whitigir said:

I never realized that IFI adore modifications.  Does that mean you guys are becoming more friendly to DIY modifications on your products too ? An honest question 

We never said no to mods to begin with. If one has skills and knows what he/she's doing, then by all means mod away.

In some of our items we enable this via tube rolling or usage of external clocks. 

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF