IGNORED

Headphones vs Speakers.....Go!

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I came from a headphone background. The truth is this: for the pure equipment cost, you can get peak world class headphone performance for the price of a mid-fi 2 channel setup. Speakers are more than just high prices — its engineering a listening space. For the amount of money I spent on my speakers, room treatments, pre/pro amps, cabling, etc, I could have got a Utopia with the finest OCC silver cables plugged into best headphone amps and be at endgame.

The problem is, I’m addicted to the full-immersion experience of speakers. The unfurled soundstage. The physical dynamics. No matter how good, headphones can’t provide that.

I agree.

Besides, I don't like wearing headphones: it's not really pleasant and sounds unnatural.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

34 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Good earphones (I use Noble Encores) are exceptionally resolving. And I could have a great listening while sitting on a bench in a park with a beautiful sea view, as it was today.

It's undeniable that head' and earphones are a great way to enjoy music on the move.

I haven't had a portable player since my Sony Minidisc broke down in late nineties. I used it mostly in train or coach or plane journeys. Perhaps I should get a nice pair of earphones...

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Em2016 said:

What does 'head to head' mean?

Headphones can provide a transparency that speakers can't. Speakers can produce a 3D soundstage that headphones can't.

There are a lot of 2L recording fans here. Morten Lindberg does a lot of his (incredible) work (26 Grammy Award nominations) with headphones... He is just one example.

2L-110_Cantus_recording-sessions-2014-15.thumb.jpg.fefd31986c132bac4f28395209ea7e4d.jpg

1200px-Morten_Lindberg_2016-1.thumb.jpg.181fa5784cd2d533305d50cfbed04bd5.jpg

He's known for having wrapped the musicians around the microphones... How weird is that?

2L-session-magnificat-orchestra-circle-5

On 3/26/2019 at 9:15 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

If it gets the job done, it can be as wierd as possible 😎

Sounds as weird as it looks, so definitely not a job well done. 😋