IGNORED

SGC - sonicTransporter Series and Signalyst HQPlayer 4 Embedded

Just an update because I know a couple other sonicTransporter i7 owners here have mentioned having the same issue and saying they thought this Tidal track skipping was normal all this time - like I did.

There's been a lot of back and forth with Roon Support and Andrew of SGC has been fantastic too, trying and suggesting different things.

Roon have been looking at the Roon account's diagnostics and their Development team say from their end it appears to be a DNS issue... but this makes no sense to me, as they will see in their latest diagnostics this weekend:

Our iMac running Roon Server doesn't have any skipping issues.... both the iMac and the sonicTransporter connect to the same NetGear GS108 switch, which connects to the Asus RT-AC86U router... so if it was DNS issues, the iMac should experience the same issues.

i.e. the network chains are identical playing to the same endpoints

We've tried Google DNS settings, CloudFare DNS settings etc and no matter what we try, it's only Roon running on the sonicTransporter that has very repeatable issues - and Roon running on the iMac has repeatable non-issues.

Roon and Andrew continue to look into it and as they know, I'm happy to keep trying different things they suggest, but I don't know how much clearer the issue can be isolated to the sonicTransporter.

We'll keep trying but if it can't be resolved, I'll simply ditch Roon duties from the sonicTransporter and replace it with a Roon Nucleus+ (running Roon's own OS) and keep the sonicTransporter only for HQP Embedded duties. I know someone with a Nucleus+ that we can use to test before purchasing one of course.

The idea of both Roon Server and HQP Embedded on the same machine sounds fantastic but it really needs to work reliably.

The Mac+Roon and sonicT+HQPe (i.e. two box solution) is rock solid reliable - the Roon experience you want.

I haven't seen any sonicT i5 owners mention this problem - only sonicT i7 owners here and one on the Roon forum.

Anyway we're not giving up. I have a very positive attitude and as long as @agillis and Roon Support continue to look into it, I'll continue to support them with trying what they ask.

Just an update for now. The support from @agillis, @vortecjr and Roon has been great. I'm still positive this will be solved.

Thanks for the update Em2016!

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

5 hours ago, gsquared said:

Thanks for the update Em2016!

No problem.

It would be great if the others that said they had this issue could do this same test - setup Roon Core on a PC or Mac temporarily. No need to bring your hard drive. Just setup your Tidal account.

And play for a week and report if you still have issues or no issues with Tidal tracks skipping.

11 hours ago, alcarp said:

Pardon my ignorance but will HQe run satisfactorily on a SonicTransporter i5 which is also running Roon Server?

Yes, up to DSD 256 is what have been said. 

You can purchase HQPlayer from SMG if you like.

Then it’s locked to that i5. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

@Em2016

Will a VPN solve the DNS issue ?

I agree with you, it sounds very strange. Maybe a test with VPN will rule that out ?

I don’t see why  that even needs to be tried... again, Roon+Tidal on the iMac played from Friday to Sunday non-stop (as Roon Support will see in the diagnostics they collected) , not a single skip... 

The iMac has an identical network path to the endpoints, as the sonictransporter.

It would be great if the others that said they saw this (sonicT i7) can test a separate Roon Core, like I did.

9 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Will a VPN solve the DNS issue ?

And just to repeat - there can be no DNS issue if the iMac Roon Core playing Tidal (identical network path to the endpoints) has zero issues... As Roon Support have seen via diagnostics logs.

If the iMac Roon Core had issues - then no question, I would never even have posted here in the first place because it's then clearly a home network/internet issue. But Roon have the diagnostics to show there's no issue with the iMac Roon Core.

So there is no DNS issue to solve. It must be something else specific to Roon Server running on the sonicTransporter i7 - as we have isolated.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:21 AM, Em2016 said:

Just an update because I know a couple other sonicTransporter i7 owners here have mentioned having the same issue and saying they thought this Tidal track skipping was normal all this time - like I did.

There's been a lot of back and forth with Roon Support and Andrew of SGC has been fantastic too, trying and suggesting different things.

Roon have been looking at the Roon account's diagnostics and their Development team say from their end it appears to be a DNS issue... but this makes no sense to me, as they will see in their latest diagnostics this weekend:

Our iMac running Roon Server doesn't have any skipping issues.... both the iMac and the sonicTransporter connect to the same NetGear GS108 switch, which connects to the Asus RT-AC86U router... so if it was DNS issues, the iMac should experience the same issues.

We've tried Google DNS settings, CloudFare DNS settings etc and no matter what we try, it's only Roon running on the sonicTransporter that has very repeatable issues - and Roon running on the iMac has repeatable non-issues.

Roon and Andrew continue to look into it and as they know, I'm happy to keep trying different things they suggest, but I don't know how much clearer the issue can be isolated to the sonicTransporter.

We'll keep trying but if it can't be resolved, I'll simply ditch Roon duties from the sonicTransporter and replace it with a Roon Nucleus+ (running Roon's own OS) and keep the sonicTransporter only for HQP Embedded duties. I know someone with a Nucleus+ that we can use to test before purchasing one of course.

The idea of both Roon Server and HQP Embedded on the same machine sounds fantastic but it really needs to work reliably.

The Mac+Roon and sonicT+HQPe (i.e. two box solution) is rock solid reliable - the Roon experience you want.

I haven't seen any sonicT i5 owners mention this problem - only sonicT i7 owners here and one on the Roon forum.

Anyway we're not giving up. I have a very positive attitude and as long as @agillis and Roon Support continue to look into it, I'll continue to support them with trying what they ask.

Just an update for now. The support from @agillis, @vortecjr and Roon has been great. I'm still positive this will be solved.

I posted here that I suffer from the same pronlem and I got a STi5. I always thought that it was normal. ?

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

30 minutes ago, soares said:

I posted here that I suffer from the same pronlem and I got a STi5. I always thought that it was normal. ?

Hi soares.

Can you also report it to Roon Support and SGC because it's not normal. They will be able to spot patterns if more users actually report it and they can look at your diagnostics/logs.

At the moment it's just me reporting it.

Fixes happen quicker when multiple people report it - to both Roon Support and SGC.

Reporting and testing what they suggest takes a little effort, but the reward with that effort means more chance of the issue being fixed.

11 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi soares.

Can you also report it to Roon Support and SGC because it's not normal. They will be able to spot patterns if more users actually report it and they can look at your diagnostics/logs.

At the moment it's just me reporting it.

Fixes happen quicker when multiple people report it - to both Roon Support and SGC.

Reporting and testing what they suggest takes a little effort, but the reward with that effort means more chance of the issue being fixed.

You're right and I appreciate taking your time to reply to me. Unfortunately I am not good at all with computers and I am afraid that I can not follow the testing they advice. Nevertheless I will report to Roon. Have you sent them an email? 

P.S. My truly problem and was never solved is that I can not upsample using my Qutest. It's a frustration as I easely recognize the superiority of HQplayer, but randomly I got white noise just from one channel. So brought this licence for nothing. As it does not affect my Oppo 205 Dac I am considering to have it modded and then sell my Qutest...  ?

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

1 minute ago, soares said:

You're right and I appreciate taking your time to reply to me. Unfortunately I am not good at all with computers and I am afraid that I can not follow the testing they advice. Nevertheless I will report to Roon. Have you sent them an email? 

P.S. My truly problem and was never solved is that I can not upsample using my Qutest. It's a frustration as I easely recognize the superiority of HQplayer, but randomly I got white noise just from one channel. So brought this licence for nothing. As it does not affect my Oppo 205 Dac I am considering to have it modded and then sell my Qutest...  ?

If you jump on the Roon forum, just create a new thread describing your issues and tag @support 

You might not have to do much at all apart from answer their questions about your setup. They can enable diagnostics to your sonicTransporter and look at the logs remotely.

Sorry to hear about the Qutest issues ?

On 8/18/2018 at 3:21 AM, Em2016 said:

6 hours ago, soares said:

Thanks soares.

Can you jump on the Roon forum, and create a new thread describing your issues and tag @support 

You might not have to do much at all apart from answer their questions about your setup. They can enable diagnostics to your sonicTransporter and look at the logs remotely.

1. microRendu v1.4 upgrade - both with RoonReady and NAA modes

2. Uptone USPCB and Supra High Speed Certified USB

3. Australia

4. sonicT i7

Note that an iMac runs Roon Server flawlessly on all the same stuff above and same network... Same Tidal account, same network path, same endpoint. Same everything.

13 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Thanks soares.

Can you jump on the Roon forum, and create a new thread describing your issues and tag @support 

You might not have to do much at all apart from answer their questions about your setup. They can enable diagnostics to your sonicTransporter and look at the logs remotely.

I'll do it. Tks.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

For those having issues please let us know:

1. Direct connection of endpoint to server? y/n

2. Which USB cable?

3. Which country you are in?

4. Which sonicTransporter? 

Not sure it matters, but just in case.

uRendu

Audioquest Diamond

USA

STi5 (the older model)

Thank you.

On 8/20/2018 at 1:59 AM, R1200CL said:

Yes, up to DSD 256 is what have been said. 

You can purchase HQPlayer from SMG if you like.

Then it’s locked to that i5. 

I have the Ps Audio DSD DAC that upsamples everything to DSD. Will HQe improve sound quality with this DAC?

While the Roon Server on sonciTi7 continues to be investigated in the background, the iMac continues to run perfectly fine and playing to HQPe on the soncTi7 with zero skipping, as Roon diagnostics will show.

Question for @vortecjr in the mean time : HQPe is still at version 4.2.0.

Any reason 4.2.1 (released 19th July) hasn't been released?

953224042_ScreenShot2018-08-22at9_45_49pm.thumb.png.b37413ae9406cea3068df80093063877.png

Cheers

On 8/22/2018 at 3:40 AM, alcarp said:

I have the Ps Audio DSD DAC that upsamples everything to DSD. Will HQe improve sound quality with this DAC?

If you have a SonicTransporter, why not test for yourself. 

30 minutes. Use uninstall and install in stead of boot to get a new period of 30 min.