IGNORED

SGC - sonicTransporter Series and Signalyst HQPlayer 4 Embedded

14 hours ago, Miska said:

You are now looking at Roon DSP engine settings, those have nothing to do with HQPlayer. When using HQPlayer, always turn off the Roon's DSP engine using the switch in top-left corner of that dialog. Unless you for some reason really really want to use Roon's DSP engine instead of HQPlayer's...

OK. Make sence. 

Now, when I use RAAT and my UltraRendu, I can add convolution and upsampling in Roon. 

If I change to another endpoint or HQPlayer, my understanding is that this settings is not transferred or of an relevance, correct ?

So when I compare HQPlayer vs Roon DSP, I suppose using the App Switcher with my UltraRendu DSP settings VS HQPlayer and no DSP settings, is the correct way to do a comparison ?

If the question is to Roon specific, I can ask over at Roon forum. 

It come down down to that DSP settings in Roon is done pr. endpoint, and that it’s not a global setting in Roon. 

I can add I have difficulty to hear differences between HQPlayer and Roon DSP. 

Maybe I start a new thread as now both SW DSP systems run on same HW, as a fair SQ test can be done for almost the first time. 

15 hours ago, Miska said:

At least they list HQPlayer, so I would assume so...

https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/english/requirements/

I just tested with my HAF filters.

Not working. Added same file for both speakers.

I think some more research has to be done here.

Let me know if you need a file to test with.

I will also ask over at the HAF thread. Here is my post.

One fundamentally difference is that HQPlayer Embedded require one file for each speaker. But with Roon I just upload one zip file.

Do you have a user guide that explain the settings like

• Expand HF
  • Overlapp Add vs Overlapp Save
  • Gain compensation (dBFS)

• Clear unused filters

ScreenShot304.jpg

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I have asked this question several times, in different threads. 

There is is no way you can do what you’re asking. Just forget it. And no discount.

The absolutely only way to get a license for HQPlayer embedded is to purchase at full price, and it’s hardware locked to your device for ever. 

Even if you upgrade from i5 to i7 you will have to purchase a new license.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/terrible-customer-service-from-hqplayer/40994/68?u=r1200cl

Here is a copy of my original question that Miska answered in the above link. 

The only thing that has change is if a hw failure occurs, you will be granted a “new” license for free. But you have to go through Sonore of cause. 

Miska:

Please consider a different way yo do trail. Or consider at least a introduction offer. The price you're asking is way to high i think. And more than double the original HQPlayer. (Adding 25% VAT as well). I'm close to pay 3000 NOK.

Or maybe remove the DSD for those, like me, that don't need it. I guess the DSD is limited anyway with the i5 hardware. Correct ?

I know I probably speak for deaf ears, but maybe if others, and maybe enough "votes", you may reconsider.

It must be better to sell 5000 copies for $150 as an example than 1000 at $336. It's getting close to purchase another LPS-1 or the new Uptone switch.

Also knowing that a HW failure makes the license totally useless doesn't make the  purchase more attempting. And I can tell you I already had one.

Thank you. I am some how disappointed  with the explanation that it will be machine dependent. I use for the time being a sonic transporter i5 but I don't exclude to migrate to the i7 in a coming future and after upgrading my DAC. I think that I will have to wait. I am sure this might be implemented by software as Roon did where I had a license for Mac and it was transfers to my sti5. 

Another issue: I consulted the link in your message, but it was not clear if I am entitled to 50% of discount if I already have a licence for Mac, as it is the case.

It would help me a lot if Miska could clarify.

Again, thank you for taking your time to enlight me... 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

18 minutes ago, soares said:

Another issue: I consulted the link in your message, but it was not clear if I am entitled to 50% of discount if I already have a licence for Mac, as it is the case.

No you’re not given any discount for the HQPlayer embedded. 

Only one of the Windows, Mac and Linux license will give you 50% discount for either of these 3 possible systems. And only if you have one valid full purchased license. 

Again:

There I no f.....way you’re going to get HQPlayer embedded for a different price than listed. 

You may avoid VAT using VPN.

Maybe @Miska would in the future allow some discount if you upgrade from i5 to i7, but I doubt it. Unless he can delete the given first license. Cause he doesn’t want you to sell the i5 with a valid HQPlayer embedded license, and you have another license in the i7 at a discount. 

Maybe Roon DSP is good enough ? ?

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I can add I have difficulty to hear differences between HQPlayer and Roon DSP. 

Maybe I start a new thread as now both SW DSP systems run on same HW, as a fair SQ test can be done for almost the first time. 

If you just run convolution engine, all implementations should sound the same. Upsampling algorithms differ though.

It has always been possible to run both on same hardware. Lot of people have done it, me too.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

One fundamentally difference is that HQPlayer Embedded require one file for each speaker. But with Roon I just upload one zip file.

Do you have a user guide that explain the settings like

These are explained in manual of HQPlayer Desktop. Desktop and Embedded work the same way, Embedded just has some more features. The "Clear unused filters" is Embedded specific, by default you can update single impulse response file without having to re-upload all at once. Checking that option clears the impulse responses for channels where you are not uploading a file. This is just due to the way web interfaces and form submissions work.

I'll create a variant of the manual for HQPlayer Embedded at some point, but probably in HTML form so it can be read straight from the web interface.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

One fundamentally difference is that HQPlayer Embedded require one file for each speaker.

Yes, one mono WAV per channel. That is for example what Acourate creates.

18 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Maybe Roon DSP is good enough ? ?

I find it a bit odd to complain about pricing of HQPlayer when you don't seem to have a problem with software that costs 100€/year or 500€ single paymant... And I guess they estimate to have higher sales volumes.

More fair comparison would be to compare how many percents of your total audio system price is HQPlayer's license. I think something like 20 - 30% would be quite good level.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

34 minutes ago, soares said:

Thank you. I am some how disappointed  with the explanation that it will be machine dependent. I use for the time being a sonic transporter i5 but I don't exclude to migrate to the i7 in a coming future and after upgrading my DAC. I think that I will have to wait. I am sure this might be implemented by software as Roon did where I had a license for Mac and it was transfers to my sti5. 

It would help me a lot if Miska could clarify.

Again, thank you for taking your time to enlight me... 

Desktop version is hardware independent and regular software in that sense. Not usually tied to hardware (although there are such products on the market too where it is).

Embedded has been designed for hardware products and to be sold together as part of hardware. If you buy a car, you cannot transfer the embedded software from your current car to a new one either.

Just now, R1200CL said:

That manual is very hard to find. Can you supply a link please ?

It is included in the installation packages. On Windows and Linux it can be found from Start-menu. On Mac it is straight in the DMG and one can copy it from there to any suitable location.

26 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, one mono WAV per channel.

So can only do one. Really ? Then HQPlayer lack some important options that's available in Roon. In Roon I just upload the HAF Zip file and Roon do the rest.

But I could be totally wrong. Maybe I only need one of the files shown in the attached picture. The 192 one ?

Or may it's about how HAF does the filter.

ScreenShot305.jpg

3 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

So can only do one. Really ? Then HQPlayer lack some important options that's available in Roon. But I could be totally wrong. Maybe I only need one of the files shown in the attached picture. The 192 one ?

Or may it's about how HAF does the filter.

ScreenShot305.jpg

You need only the highest rate ones, 384_HL for left channel and 384_HR for right channel. Assuming those are mono files for left and right channel. I have no idea what the cfg files contain. Since they say on their web page that their stuff works on HQPlayer, you could ask for configuration guidance from them.

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

You need only the highest rate ones, 384_HL for left channel and 384_HR for right channel. Assuming those are mono files for left and right channel. I have no idea what the cfg files contain. Since they say on their web page that their stuff works on HQPlayer, you could ask for configuration guidance from them.

At the moment not working. Tried both 384 and 192. I will check what Tierry has to say over at his tread.

Seems he has a solution

Miska,

Love the sound quality thru my sonictransport i7-ultrarendu-kitsune SU-1-i2s-PS Audio Directstream DAC. Just purchased a license key from your site. I need instructions for applying the key please. I know HQP embedded must be in unconfigured state to set authentication- how best to do this on the ST i7 as I can't delete config files as it is a closed system?

Thx in advance-

Carl

35 minutes ago, Binaural said:

Miska,

Love the sound quality thru my sonictransport i7-ultrarendu-kitsune SU-1-i2s-PS Audio Directstream DAC. Just purchased a license key from your site. I need instructions for applying the key please. I know HQP embedded must be in unconfigured state to set authentication- how best to do this on the ST i7 as I can't delete config files as it is a closed system?

Thx in advance-

Carl

Did you add the fingerprint information (under the about link)  during the purchase ?

Then just add the file given on email to you here:

242F0C2A-59BB-4B4E-A246-8E4D908A5146.png

I suppose @Miska has to answer wheater to use system or user, but user seems logical, though I don’t mind a explanation what’s  the difference. 

26 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I suppose @Miska has to answer wheater to use system or user, but user seems logical, though I don’t mind a explanation what’s  the difference. 

In this case, "System" is probably the right one.

HQPlayer Embedded can have two configuration scopes; "System" which is global to all users of the system and "User" which applies to the current user. If "User" configuration exists, it takes precedence over the "System" one.

sonicTransporter is a single user system so this distinction doesn't make much sense here. Maybe I should add possibility to disable "User" scope for these kind of installations...

1 hour ago, Binaural said:

Someone could probably help if there's a default username/password...

But as @R1200CL said, on the /key page you can upload the key file you've got.

If you have a problem, please contact me over email.

I uploaded the key file purchased using the fingerprint info- I cannot set the system PW- says the page is not working when I hit the set button- uploading the key file reports success but HQP still says "trial". Default PW is admin/admin. As long as it works(and it does) these are minor issues.

I just want to say thanks to Jussi- he looked into my account and found my mistake.  When you copy your fingerprint for the license, include the "== at the end. All is well now.  He did this without me asking.  If you can find a software developer that goes the extra mile and has an awesome product, they deserve our support!

Huzzah!

C

I want to ask a off topic question regarding STi7.

STi& has the ability to connect mR/uR directly with the 2nd lan port. 

Is it also possible to bridge NAS and STi7 togethr with the 1st lan port so that we can avoid the router jitter all together?

I am wondering if its possible to go  Router - > NAS - Optical Isolation - > ST i7 - mR/uR. 

I got the idea from the famous post here. Some people has done the bridging between PC and NAA to improve SQ.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/profile/25654-austinpop/

Thank you.

On 13/04/2018 at 4:27 AM, agillis said:

It's all ready to go. Just follow this procedure to upgrade. Then install HQPlayer from the Software Manager.

http://sonicorbiter.com/docs/upgrade25

Hi JR @vortecjr / Andrew,

The instructions don't mention anything about a 'Stage 1' or 'Stage 2'.

I got the following message saying Stage 1 is complete and there's also a message there about libmp42 being downgraded.

5ad84dfd7d91b_ScreenShot2018-04-19at6_01_37pm.thumb.png.31ba13a3ea072a8b151b2538bcc552fb.png

Is 'Stage 2' just the 'Some other packages will need to be readjusted so wait about 20 minutes before continuing"

Or is 'Stage 2' something else?

And is the libmp4v2 downgrading normal / expected? Or something went wrong?

10 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Yes it does, but it’s not very well written. I did the mistake and did not wait.

But what only happened was that the unit denied stage 2 until it was ready.

i suppose you did the second upgrade and your unit is working ?

I did wait 20 minutes and the unit is working. I had to guess that the 20 minute wait is between Stage 1 and 2.

But it would be nice if the instructions mentioned this Stage 1 and Stage 2, so it's clear and consistent with the real-time log you get during the update process.

But I'm also worried about libmp42 being downgraded, as per screenshot above.

Did you see this same message?

4 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I did wait 20 minutes and the unit is working. I had to guess that the 20 minute wait is between Stage 1 and 2.

Yes, the instructions can be misunderstood. And probably less than 10 min is enough. It’s just depends on your internet line maybe. 

I got error messages and all kind of things. Was not able to copy anything as I was using my iPad for the upgrade. 

Anyway, as long as it’s working I think we’re good. 

I normally once once a week or once a month always press the upgrade button for both UltraRendu and the SonicTransporter. 

On 08/04/2018 at 7:37 AM, jamesg11 said:

Waiting ... to see an answer on this ...

I can confirm it works with those settings I posted (poly-sinc-short-mp-2s DSD512 up-sampling). But..

For SDM "poly-sinc-short-mp" (without -2s) there are problems with up-sampling to DSD512.

I thought this i7 beast would handle it (without -2s) but I get pops every ~20 seconds without "-2s"  (sTi7 > ultraRendu )

For SDM "poly-sinc-short-mp-2s" , no problems at all with those settings I posted earlier.

Thanks,

how about dsd256 - all good?

/& this is into a ifi dac2, or ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.