IGNORED

SGC - sonicTransporter Series and Signalyst HQPlayer 4 Embedded

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Any errors in the log? Please remember that Rendu needs to be up before ST is booted up. Otherwise ST will fail to connect to the Rendu and go to unconfigured state refusing any controls from Roon until some functioning audio device has been configured again.

Generally you can keep Rendu up and running at all times, no need to shut it down ever.

I never shut down the Rendu. It’s always on. Also the ST.

How do I generate a log file?

32 minutes ago, alcarp said:

I never shut down the Rendu. It’s always on. Also the ST.

How do I generate a log file?

Just turned off the ST using the hardware button on the front and then turned it back on. I can now get playback.

i shouldn’t have to do this, do I?

6 hours ago, Miska said:

As I wrote on the SGC ST thread, I believe Oppo changed the native DSD support stuff on their firmware update to BD players (205, etc) and that caused the driver to break. I believe I know how to fix it, but I don't have a suitable Oppo device to test it.

If it is possible to get a test update for your µR, I can tell @agillis what to change in the driver. @vortecjr

Ohhh Jussi, yes of course. Just tell me what shall I do. Thank you. ?

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

20 hours ago, Miska said:

I tested the fixed volume enable/disable and for me, it works with all the browsers I tried. So I'm not sure what is going wrong for you. Which browser are you using?

Tested on my new fanless Asus H110T (i7-7700T) running HQPe and it works fine.

I only have this problem with my sonicTransporter i7, so it needs Andrew/Jesus or another user to test and reproduce.

30 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Tested on my new fanless Asus H110T (i7-7700T) running HQPe and it works fine.

I only have this problem with my sonicTransporter i7, so it needs Andrew/Jesus or another user to test and reproduce.

I’m sorry (first of all) for my lack of knowledge on the roles played by the two settings, but I find that my STi7 and uRendu function fine with Fixed Volume enabled (-3) AND a value is also entered (again I used the default-3) in Startup Volume. Hence, provided a value is entered in Startup Volume, I get playback.

i would normally select Fixed Volume (as I assume this passes Volume control duties to my Integrated Amp) and I assume Startup Volume is designed to minimise the effect of pops when changing tracks.

However, if my wild guesses are wide of the mark, please correct me!

3 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

I find that my STi7 and uRendu function fine with Fixed Volume enabled (-3) AND a value is also entered (again I used the default-3) in Startup Volume.

Hi BlueDL,

That's different to my issue. 

With your current settings (-3dB in both fixed and startup fields), are you now able to revert back to only having a startup value that allows you to adjust volume during track playback?

Or does it now stay fixed in your music player (Roon?) so you can't revert back to a startup volume adjustable during playback?

11 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi BlueDL,

With your current settings (-3dB in both fixed and startup fields), are you now able to revert back to only having a startup value that allows you to adjust volume during track playback?

Or does it now stay fixed in your music player (Roon?) so you can't revert back to a startup volume adjustable during playback?

Hi,

I haven’t actually varied volume but I found that I can get playback after I unchecking Fixed Volume and leaving Startup Volume at -3. I’m about to go to work (UK based), but might be able to do more this evening.

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi BlueDL,

Before I left for work, I had a quick fiddle with Roon.

With Fixed Volume disabled in Config, I went into HQPlayer set-up and selected ‘Device Volume’ instead of ‘Fixed Volume’. This enabled a volume slider at the foot of the playback page which allowed me to vary the volume up to 0dB.

So it appears to work for me - although in my case I don’t have a power amp and I therefore prefer to use the integrated amp for volume duties.

9 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

Before I left for work, I had a quick fiddle with Roon.

With Fixed Volume disabled in Config, I went into HQPlayer set-up and selected ‘Device Volume’ instead of ‘Fixed Volume’. This enabled a volume slider at the foot of the playback page which allowed me to vary the volume up to 0dB.

So it appears to work for me - although in my case I don’t have a power amp and I therefore prefer to use the integrated amp for volume duties.

Thanks BlueDL. My issue isn't being able to use the variable 'startup' volume - I've been using that all this time.

My issue is I can't select an NAA device when I choose a 'fixed' volume in HQPe config. I see the NAA device in the list of options but when I select it and hit apply, it doesn't actually select that device.

On a different HQP Embedded machine, tested just today, I'm able to switch between fixed and startup and back again, without issues.

Both run version 4.3.1.

Whenever you get a chance, see if you go from startup volume, then fixed volume (make sure both fields don't have the same number otherwise it's just fixed), then back to startup value again and then finally try a fixed value.

What networked audio endpoint are you using? If you're using a direct USB connection you won't be able to test this out, because my issue specifically applies to choosing a networked backend device

7 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Thanks BlueDL. My issue isn't being able to use the variable 'startup' volume - I've been using that all this time.

My issue is I can't select an NAA device when I choose a 'fixed' volume in HQPe config. I see the NAA device in the list of options but when I select it and hit apply, it doesn't actually select that device.

On a different HQP Embedded machine, tested just today, I'm able to switch between fixed and startup and back again, without issues.

Both run version 4.3.1.

Whenever you get a chance, see if you go from startup volume, then fixed volume (make sure both fields don't have the same number otherwise it's just fixed), then back to startup value again and then finally try a fixed value.

What networked audio endpoint are you using? If you're using a direct USB connection you won't be able to test this out, because my issue specifically applies to choosing a networked backend device

Ok, I’ll fiddle some more this evening.

Does HQPe Config override the set-up in Roon (Fixed/Device Volume setting) or do I need to select Fixed Volume in both of the separate fields?

My only NAA is a uRendu by the way.

I have Chromecast TV and iPad solely as endpoints for Roon, however.

2 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

Does HQPe Config override the set-up in Roon (Fixed/Device Volume setting) or do I need to select Fixed Volume in both of the separate fields?

Leave Roon's option as 'device volume' all the time, when testing this.

If you choose fixed volume in HQPe, then Roon will show a message that volume is fixed anyway. But you get the volume slider of course, if in HQPe you have no value in the fixed field, and a number in the startup volume field.

3 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

My only NAA is a uRendu by the way.

Ok cool.

On 9/3/2018 at 2:32 AM, Miska said:

As I wrote on the SGC ST thread, I believe Oppo changed the native DSD support stuff on their firmware update to BD players (205, etc) and that caused the driver to break. I believe I know how to fix it, but I don't have a suitable Oppo device to test it.

If it is possible to get a test update for your µR, I can tell @agillis what to change in the driver. @vortecjr

Andrew or Jesus,

Would you please look at the issue whenever possible? Thank you.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

10 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Leave Roon's option as 'device volume' all the time, when testing this.

If you choose fixed volume in HQPe, then Roon will show a message that volume is fixed anyway. But you get the volume slider of course, if in HQPe you have no value in the fixed field, and a number in the startup volume field.

Ok cool.

Hi,

I was able to switch between Startup and Fixed, but I found that, on returning to Startup, the bar at the base of the playback view in Roon would show ‘volume is fixed’ until I initiated playback - at which point the volume slider appeared. I used at arbitrary value of -3 in both windows.

em2016.......for what it’s worth, my ST is at software version 2.6 and HQPe is at version 4.3.1.

The uRendu (v1.4 hardware) is connected directly to the ST with the ST connected to a 5-port switch, itself connected to the Router.

Unless you set me more ‘homework’, at this point it  might be worth contacting Miska or Andrew Gillis to assist you.

Sorry I couldn’t shed any light on the issue for you.

In terms of Fixed Volume, is it advisable to select a value below zero, e.g. to mirror the ‘Headroom’ option in Roon DSP?

My amp often needs to be around 11 o’clock to reach decent listening levels, so I’d want to set Fixed Volume to zero if there was no downside in doing so.

2 hours ago, BlueDL said:

em2016.......for what it’s worth, my ST is at software version 2.6 and HQPe is at version 4.3.1.

The uRendu (v1.4 hardware) is connected directly to the ST with the ST connected to a 5-port switch, itself connected to the Router.

Unless you set me more ‘homework’, at this point it  might be worth contacting Miska or Andrew Gillis to assist you.

Sorry I couldn’t shed any light on the issue for you.

Thanks for testing.

11 minutes ago, alcarp said:

I read somewhere in this thread or another that when using HQe with ROON, ROON audio processing need to be turned off. How is this done?

I would assume it’s a case of disabling the DSP Engine for the NAA you’re using.

There’s a sliding button at the top of the DSP page which disables the lot (saves going into each sub menu to disable them individually).

4 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

I would assume it’s a case of disabling the DSP Engine for the NAA you’re using.

A minor wording thing, but it's disabling DSP for the HQP (server) zone in Roon, rather than for NAA.

Roon itself can't see what NAA's are in your system. Only HQP Embedded sees the NAAs.

A minor thing but thought I'd clarify because it can easily be confusing talking about NAA, server, zones etc, especially to a new person.

11 hours ago, Em2016 said:

A minor wording thing, but it's disabling DSP for the HQP (server) zone in Roon, rather than for NAA.

Roon itself can't see what NAA's are in your system. Only HQP Embedded sees the NAAs.

A minor thing but thought I'd clarify because it can easily be confusing talking about NAA, server, zones etc, especially to a new person.

Hi em2016.

Does the on/off button to the left in the zone bar switch DSP on or off?

Apologies if this is a silly question!

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, BlueDL said:

Hi em2016.

Does the on/off button to the left in the zone bar switch DSP on or off?

Apologies if this is a silly question!

Thanks in advance.

Hi BlueDL

Do you mean the button here, left of "DSP"? No, for me that just toggles between Roon's fixed volume and device volume. You can try it yourself and see if you get the same behaviour?

To toggle Roon DSP you need to go into Roon's DSP screen by clicking "DSP" in the screenshot below.

820280623_ScreenShot2018-09-06at9_26_37am.thumb.png.2e0066d7c23bb8406c2d51036faf0024.png

On 9/3/2018 at 7:17 AM, alcarp said:

I'm having a really frustrating experience evaluating HQe with the trial version stopping after 30 minutes and then not being able to play again no matter what I do - Roon comes up with the dreaded message: Transport: Couldn't connect to HqPlayer.

I've tried rebooting the ST as suggested by @Miska, rebooting the Rendu but nothing seems to work. Sometimes, pressing the play button in Roon plays for a few more minutes - then the cursor in the progress bar at the bottom of the screen goes crazy and the music stops. I'm stuck and can't proceed any further.

Before I purchased HQPlayer Embedded, I was as frustrated as you are. 

What did work best for me was to uninstall and then install HQPlayer on the SonicTransporter. 

26 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Very easy to find the correct info these days ?

And I did say 'roughly'. So it may slightly vary depending on location & currency chosen.

1675006908_ScreenShot2018-09-09at5_38_43pm.thumb.png.26c4710279bdce28aca66e670cd4befe.png

There are other resellers ?

You will have to do the calculations yourself, but prices is on the dealers website.