IGNORED

Good Class D amps ??

5 minutes ago, monteverdi said:

This discussion could be soon replaced by SMPS vs LPS. It depends on inplementation

Exactly one of my points:  The stereophile measurements show more power supply related noise int he Theta amplifiers output than I would like to see.  The NC-1200 implementations with the matching SMPS 1200 do not have this issue.

But the bigger difference between the Kaluga and Theta is much more likely to be the discrete input buffer circuit in the Kaluga vs. the standard IC based input buffer in the Theta...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Thanks, that is some excellent information from Bruno Putzeys.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

11 minutes ago, barrows said:

Watch your words my friend, you are talking about one of the smartest engineers in all of audio.  And he is a straight shooter as well.  Clearly you did not graduate from your EE program Magna Cum Laude did you?

Additionally, the measurements of the Theta amp are available at stereophile.com for all to see and the noise form the linear power supply in the amps output cannot be denied, that is a fact.

You are making yourself look really bad here.

But why tell a falsehood about how toroidal transformers cause speaker buzz? Everyone knows that is very uncommon, as is 60 Hz artifacts. He also suggests linear power supplies aren’t linear?

I have a W4S STI-500 mk.2, which uses a pair of Icepower 125ASX2 in bridge mode and a custom buffer. Having owned and tested different powerfull class AB integrateds in my system before, I miss nothing in sound quality and have lots of pros in heat, power consumption and price. Love them.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Bruno Putzeys is an experienced engineer who frequently self-promotes by saying everyone else is too dumb to understand whatever it is he's working on at the moment as well as he does. Why are his class D modules so much better than everyone else? Because he's smarter than them. Why is his Kalugas better than the Theta? Because everyone else is ignorant about power supplies.

Why does Nelson Pass, who is far more important and a universally respected engineer in audio not act like that?

29 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Bruno Putzeys is an experienced engineer who frequently self-promotes by saying everyone else is too dumb to understand whatever it is he's working on at the moment as well as he does. Why are his class D modules so much better than everyone else? Because he's smarter than them. Why is his Kalugas better than the Theta? Because everyone else is ignorant about power supplies.

Why does Nelson Pass, who is far more important and a universally respected engineer in audio not act like that?

I can see why it seems that way to you.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 hours ago, barrows said:

Watch your words my friend, you are talking about one of the smartest engineers in all of audio.  And he is a straight shooter as well.  Clearly you did not graduate from your EE program Magna Cum Laude did you?

Additionally, the measurements of the Theta amp are available at stereophile.com for all to see and the noise form the linear power supply in the amps output cannot be denied, that is a fact.

You are making yourself look really bad here.

GUTB has been an arrogant and ignorant pain in the arse for a very long time now.

I know of no one who has posted more and added less.

I'm hopeful that he tells someone to "Go F Your Mother" so we will be rid of him.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

GUTB has been an arrogant and ignorant pain in the arse for a very long time now.

I know of no one who has posted more and added less.

I'm hopeful that he tells someone to "Go F Your Mother" so we will be rid of him.

I'm a helpful poster and supporter of audiophilia in an audiophile website. Unless I'm posting for my fans, my posts are rich in useful content which even if I'm wrong in one or two points, it brings out other knowledgeable people to offer their expertise.

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

Bruno Putzeys is an experienced engineer who frequently self-promotes by saying everyone else is too dumb to understand whatever it is he's working on at the moment as well as he does. 

Please show us one place where he says this...other than in your mind where you’ve invented it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

I'm a helpful poster and supporter of audiophilia in an audiophile website. Unless I'm posting for my fans, my posts are rich in useful content which even if I'm wrong in one or two points, it brings out other knowledgeable people to offer their expertise.

You are not helpful and your posts have zero useful content, but only verify the Second Law of thermodynamics.

I have not heard the stellar amps, so I really could not say.  I suspect that PS Audio probably has some kind of reasonable return policy making it relatively easy to try them though.

SONORE computer audio

"When the people there realized that suddenly all the hum and buzz they'd been fighting for years was completely gone they went ape. It's really strange how lay people (especially those trained in the art of audiophilia by their peers who write for audio magazines) seem to think that switching power supplies are noisy. They're not. Given half a chance they're much quieter. All you need to take care about is of course the 100kHz and associated harmonics. Once I had that down the SMPS sounded much better than the big iron and copper affair that's incorrectly known as a "linear supply"."

1. Suggestion that hum and buzz are caused by linear power supplies.

2. Everyone else doesn’t understand power supplies.

3. Diminishes the problems inherent in switching power supplies.

4. Suggests linear power supplies aren’t linear.

Everyone knows that torodials can buzz because they vibrate under thier magnetic field. Electromagnetic interference and uncontrolled currents are solved problems; correcting for these issues as a cause for hum/buzzing isn’t an ingenious solution but just regular debugging of any design any engineer goes through. The comment about linear power supplies not being linear doesn’t make any sense.

31 minutes ago, GUTB said:

"When the people there realized that suddenly all the hum and buzz they'd been fighting for years was completely gone they went ape. It's really strange how lay people (especially those trained in the art of audiophilia by their peers who write for audio magazines) seem to think that switching power supplies are noisy. They're not. Given half a chance they're much quieter. All you need to take care about is of course the 100kHz and associated harmonics. Once I had that down the SMPS sounded much better than the big iron and copper affair that's incorrectly known as a "linear supply"."

1. Suggestion that hum and buzz are caused by linear power supplies.

2. Everyone else doesn’t understand power supplies.

3. Diminishes the problems inherent in switching power supplies.

4. Suggests linear power supplies aren’t linear.

Everyone knows that torodials can buzz because they vibrate under thier magnetic field. Electromagnetic interference and uncontrolled currents are solved problems; correcting for these issues as a cause for hum/buzzing isn’t an ingenious solution but just regular debugging of any design any engineer goes through. The comment about linear power supplies not being linear doesn’t make any sense.

Again, your prejudices blind you to simple reading comprehension. He didn’t say everyone else doesn’t understand power supplies, he said uninformed lay people don’t.

He’s simply saying he - and others - can design an SMPS that is quieter and more linear than what those same people regard as audiophile level  linear power supplies. 

Do you have a single fact or shred of evidence to show he’s wrong? `No. You simply don’t want to have your preconceived notions challenged, so you write these uninformed posts. 

Ironically, you are exactly the kind of lay person he is referring to in his quote. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

So what about LPS. There is a general idea that toroids are the best transformers. They were developed for military reasons for saving space in airplanes and because they were fancy and and expensive (not so much anymore) they were the things to put in better audio equipment. What about R-core transformers, much less primary to secondary capacitance and therefore less high frequency noise leakage.

I like that forum to learn and not to preach!