IGNORED

Good Class D amps ??

On 9/21/2019 at 9:03 PM, photonman said:

No, the usual 14 day return policy so I will have to play music 15 hours a day :)

Just leave it playing 24 hours per day into a dummy load.

But demo units are usually already burnt in, so getting a demo loaner is easy and safe way to hear it immediately.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

16 hours ago, Miska said:

Just leave it playing 24 hours per day into a dummy load.

But demo units are usually already burnt in, so getting a demo loaner is easy and safe way to hear it immediately.

Received and hooked it up today.  Based on the sound so far, it is a keeper.  I have not done any focused listening yet but it sounds pretty good to me and for such a small, lightweight and cool package, I am sold on Class D.  My Pass is up for sale.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

On 4/5/2018 at 4:40 AM, Ralf11 said:

Thanks - still looking for a Class D amp that equals the Benchmark at lower cost...

Hi Ralf,

FYI a used AHB2 sold last year on Canuk Audio Mart for CAD $2600 (= $US 1950). When you consider the AHB2'S performance specification, excellent reviews and Benchmark's reputation for quality engineering that is surely a bargain.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649438645-benchmark-abh2-power-amplifier/

I note that on HiFi Shark there is currently one for sale at $US2600.

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=benchmark+ahb2

I have a DAC1 HDR, which is I purchased new in 2010 for $US1800, and a DAC2, which I purchased second hand this year for US $900. I can't speak highly enough of Benchmark gear, whether new or second hand.

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

11 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

'it' is the Nord NC500 MKII and you got the Sparkos Op Amps, right?

Yes that is it exactly.  The Qutest is connected directly into it via RCA.  Speakers are biwired and are still dead quiet with no music.  My setup is full of controversy:  Class D amp, no pre and biwired.  Just waiting to get banned LOL.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

I tried going DAC-power amp directly but it sounds thin compared to adding a preamp, which makes the sound more full bodied and dynamic. I wish it was not necessary, would have saved $$$ on cables and the preamp itself, and less rack clutter...

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 2:53 AM, emcdade said:

Whenever someone tells you a piece of gear requires hundreds of hours of break-in that usually means it will still sound like a freeze dried turd.  That’s been my experience anyway.

Actually, I brought a "broken in" NCORE based Amplifier (Apollon) to a very discerning friend and he thought it sounded fantastic. They do take quite a bit of time to break in, but "hundreds" is an exaggeration. One week of continuous playing (using for instance a suitable resistor between the binding posts) or two weeks of listening bring almost 100% of what they can do.

To some people these amplifiers may sound like freeze dried turds because they have a nearly vanishing level of distortion, and we find a lot of distortion to be euphonic. They are simply better than most amplifiers around. Also, because of the very low distortion, the brain may need some time to adapt as well, especially if it is use to distorting amplifiers...

A data point for this Class D discussion...our system is now designed for near-field (condo) listening so use a pair of PS Audio Stellar mono blocks...these are, as I understand, the earlier ICE module but beyond that I have no idea what that entails...dCS Bartok direct to the mono blocks and these to a pair of stand-mounted Wilson Tune Tots...sound is wonderfully warm and sweet, detailed but not over-etched in the least. 

The Stellar M700's are highly recommended.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:10 PM, wdw said:

A data point for this Class D discussion...our system is now designed for near-field (condo) listening so use a pair of PS Audio Stellar mono blocks...these are, as I understand, the earlier ICE module but beyond that I have no idea what that entails...dCS Bartok direct to the mono blocks and these to a pair of stand-mounted Wilson Tune Tots...sound is wonderfully warm and sweet, detailed but not over-etched in the least. 

The Stellar M700's are highly recommended.

a follow-up on my post and only after reading ASR and Amirm's scathing review.  The guy has issues.  

Bought my first significant DAC, the Berkeley Alpha DAC, from his Seattle store; Madrona digital. 

At that time the companion Berkeley Alpha USB (USB to AES converter) was rumoured to be released but not yet available.  

A few months later he had a sample in house and with some cajoling, my posts included, he offered his "review" which was, essentially grabing the closest printer cable he could find and a crude sampling of low fi musical files to quickly reach the conclusion that the product was dubious at best and easily out maneuvered by his favourite Italian converter the name of which I cannot recall but now out of business AFAIK. 

The Alpha USB went on to receive the highest accolades in the industry including from our host, Chris.

So I just read all 29 pages of this thread as I'm considering replacing my over 30-year-old Yamaha receiver (bought new in 1987) with a smaller package that doesn't need all the breathing room of a class AB design. Not being a hobbyist I'm looking for a plug and play solution. I've considered separate components, but there doesn't seem to be many sub $1000 options for class D amplifiers. Add the cost of a DAC/Pre and I'll be well over what I want to spend (< $1000). For my needs, I am seriously considering NAD's C338. Class D efficiency with a DAC built in and Chromecast as a bonus. I think I could live with that for the next 30 years (or until I die, whichever comes first).

5 hours ago, JoethePop said:

So I just read all 29 pages of this thread as I'm considering replacing my over 30-year-old Yamaha receiver (bought new in 1987) with a smaller package that doesn't need all the breathing room of a class AB design. Not being a hobbyist I'm looking for a plug and play solution. I've considered separate components, but there doesn't seem to be many sub $1000 options for class D amplifiers. Add the cost of a DAC/Pre and I'll be well over what I want to spend (< $1000). For my needs, I am seriously considering NAD's C338. Class D efficiency with a DAC built in and Chromecast as a bonus. I think I could live with that for the next 30 years (or until I die, whichever comes first).

The Ncore kit is very very simple.  Even someone as inept as I am can do it.  If you can turn a screwdriver you can do it.  Your savings will be considerable.  (You could also just pay some local kid a few bucks to do it for you.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 12:21 PM, JPierre said:

On an unrelated note, has anyone heere had any experience with the Wyred 4 Sound ST mkII

Hi @JPierre
A 2019 review of the ST-750 mkII you may find here
According to the W4S website they feature the same 3rd gen input stage, but vary by chosen ICEPOWER modules.
In my subjective opinion, the PS Audio S300 had a clear sonic advantage to the W4S.
Best, Tom

On 10/22/2019 at 1:14 PM, JoethePop said:

Hi, I bought a used Classdaudio SDS-470C with upgraded power supply more than one year ago. I was a bit reluctant in buying a class D amp. Boy I was wrong! The amp is simply terrific. 300 watts per channels at 8 Ohms I believe. Made in USA (small boutique company). Look is nothing special. 695$ with regular power supply or 795$ with upgraded power supply. A lot of interesting reviews on the web by actual users. Oh...Did I wrote that the amp sounds terrific?

• 2 weeks later...

These prices are excellent for the Audiophonics MPA-S252NC.
2x150W @ 8Ω
2x250W @ 4Ω
2x180W @ 2Ω

439,00 € tax incl.
365,83 € tax excl.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-amplifier/audiophonics-mpa-s252nc-xlr-class-d-stereo-amplifier-ncore-2x150w-8-ohm-p-14185.html

audiophonics-mpa-s252nc-xlr-class-d-stereo-amplifier-ncore-2x150w-8-ohm.jpg.2e3dc70e6fd5179d5f2313636496d3c3.jpg

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red