IGNORED

Good Class D amps ??

1 hour ago, jmpsmash said:

The switching power supply in my computer is technically class D. No wonder it tortures me everyday.

You may want to try this as a good option other than going the cumbersome linear route. https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=481&area=en...

Try a solid state drive as well and noise is diminished.  That way you can go fanless,  and even less noise.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

On 11/26/2018 at 2:17 PM, jmpsmash said:

Did a bunch more research online. I am throwing into the mix a couple more amp/modules and my options:

- fix Hypex (I already ordered a new module, I need to fix it and in the worse case, sell it)

- NuPrime ST-10

- NC500 - the popular ones have either a Sonic Imagery or Sparko opamp input stage

- ICE Power 1200AS2 module - this is relatively new from early this year. Most review rank these in par with NC500 at just above 1/2 the cost

So it has been decided. I will get the NC500 w/ Sonic Imagery opamp from Nord.

And my current NC400 has already been fixed. Super fast shipping from Hypex arrived from Netherlands in less than 2 days and swapping in the new module only took 10 mins. Now it is being burn in around the clock. It will take a week for it to match the hundreds of hours that I have on the other channel.

After the NC500 arrives and burned in, I can do a comparison. And I will need to find a new home for the NC400. I am tempted by the ST-10 too actually.

1 hour ago, jmpsmash said:

And my current NC400 has already been fixed. Super fast shipping from Hypex arrived from Netherlands in less than 2 days and swapping in the new module only took 10 mins. Now it is being burn in around the clock. It will take a week for it to match the hundreds of hours that I have on the other channel.

After the NC500 arrives and burned in, I can do a comparison. And I will need to find a new home for the NC400. I am tempted by the ST-10 too actually.

Looking forward to your comparison of the two amps, especially in the Nord op amp seems to make a difference.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

18 hours ago, jmpsmash said:

Also check out the Apollon NC800 SL which is also opamp+NC500 based.

https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-hypex-nc500-class-d-amplifier-nc800-sl/

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

1 hour ago, Matias said:

Also check out the Apollon NC800 SL which is also opamp+NC500 based.

https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-hypex-nc500-class-d-amplifier-nc800-sl/

I would suggest to take the monoblocks. Two monoblocks cost about 100EUR more (total) than the stereo version and, apart from having better separation, you can place them close to the speakers with short speaker cables and drive them with longer XLR interconnects. Also, the internal placement of components of Apollon monoblocks is a bit better than in the Nord ones. One cannot go wrong with those monos.

3 hours ago, mocenigo said:

I would suggest to take the monoblocks. Two monoblocks cost about 100EUR more (total) than the stereo version and, apart from having better separation, you can place them close to the speakers with short speaker cables and drive them with longer XLR interconnects. Also, the internal placement of components of Apollon monoblocks is a bit better than in the Nord ones. One cannot go wrong with those monos.

I ended up getting the monoblock from Nord. They are quite comparable. They are pretty much just the same ideas with the same components in the input stage (Sparko regulator and Sparko/SI op amps). Interesting that you think the Apollon has better layout, the only difference i see is the orientation of the power supply. they have the opposite orientation and the Nord one ended up with shorter cabling from IEC to PS and from PS to the input stage board.

7 hours ago, jmpsmash said:

I ended up getting the monoblock from Nord. They are quite comparable. They are pretty much just the same ideas with the same components in the input stage (Sparko regulator and Sparko/SI op amps). Interesting that you think the Apollon has better layout, the only difference i see is the orientation of the power supply. they have the opposite orientation and the Nord one ended up with shorter cabling from IEC to PS and from PS to the input stage board.

The orientation of the power supply matters: it serves to reduce interferences. In particular also the inductors are farther from the amplification circuits and the buffer board. The longer cabling does not matter much because the AC one is quite far (and presumably twisted) and the DC one is not problematic. With this orientation the radiator of the PS also works as shield. Finally, the buffer board has larger spacing between

components, providing better areation (both the class A opamp and the regulators get hot).

Maybe not earth shattering differences, but they persuaded me.

Roberto 

I prefer the stereo version because:

- The components separation is practically the same (separate output stages, buffers, power supplies all a few centimeters apart should not interfere with each other);

- I already have longer 2.4m speaker cables (and they have better liquidity in the market, easier to buy/sell);

- Needs only 1 power cable so that I can spend more in a single cable than spending half in 2 power cables.

As for Nord x Apollon, there is also the chassis design, which one considers is prettier than the other. Very relevant! ?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

12 hours ago, mocenigo said:

The orientation of the power supply matters: it serves to reduce interferences. In particular also the inductors are farther from the amplification circuits and the buffer board. The longer cabling does not matter much because the AC one is quite far (and presumably twisted) and the DC one is not problematic. With this orientation the radiator of the PS also works as shield. Finally, the buffer board has larger spacing between

components, providing better areation (both the class A opamp and the regulators get hot).

Maybe not earth shattering differences, but they persuaded me.

Roberto 

Can you rephrase this?  especially the part about orientation of the PS

I get the impression you are not a native English speaker, so if you are more comfortable in Spanish (or Italian) I am sure someone here can translate it.  Thx.

11 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Can you rephrase this?  especially the part about orientation of the PS

I get the impression you are not a native English speaker, so if you are more comfortable in Spanish (or Italian) I am sure someone here can translate it.  Thx.

¿Usted puede reformular esto?  especialmente la parte sobre orientación del PS me da la impresión que estás no hablante nativo de inglés, así si usted está más cómodo en Español (o italiano) que estoy seguro alguien puede traducirlo.  THX.    ?

On 11/26/2018 at 11:39 AM, GeneZ said:

Do you have a 2 ohm speaker?  Know anyone that does?  Most people should not be so concerned.  These amps sound VERY good.  All this data dumping, but no listening?

I am sitting here listening to my ST-10.  Silly fear mongering arguments is all I see.  2 Ohm speaker?   Google it.  Most are car speakers.  ;)

Most electrostatics will dip into 2 ohms. Fear mongering? Nah...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:22 AM, GeneZ said:

Try a solid state drive as well and noise is diminished

Not necessarily.

The current demands from the much faster SSDs may result in quite a bit of HF rubbish getting back into the main PSU.

If room permits,  the best way to reduce this is to try and isolate these abrupt current demands by powering SSDs from the +12V supply using an additional voltage regulator set for +5V Output. 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

18 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Not necessarily.

The current demands from the much faster SSDs may result in quite a bit of HF rubbish getting back into the main PSU.

If room permits,  the best way to reduce this is to try and isolate these abrupt current demands by powering SSDs from the +12V supply using an additional voltage regulator set for +5V Output. 

Interesting to know.  I was thinking of the electrical noise of the constantly spinning hard drive which I assume introduces ripple. Not to mention the audible noise it generates in a quieted environment.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

I just got in a Maraschino used for $650. I’m curious about these amps because they achieve 2x the bandwidth as other class D designs, they’re unique, and pretty cheap used. If nothing else it’ll be good enough for my PC. It’s plugged into a Furutech NCF outlet via a LessLoss standard + Firewall 64X.

Initial listening impression is that they don’t ruin the soundstage or my ProAc’s ability to image which is good. The midrange isn’t very convincing but not that bad either. They seem to make my vinyl sound like CDs, possibly robbing it of some dynamic performance. It plays well both connected to my tubed pre and directly to my tubed DAC. Gain is low so I’m finally spared my pre’s tube hiss. Anyway we’ll see. 

016CC252-9A5F-4ED3-A4E3-6F26A96A5FB9.thumb.jpeg.d4892f0183e39d11fad57e950ee5399f.jpeg

29 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I just got in a Maraschino used for $650. I’m curious about these amps because they achieve 2x the bandwidth as other class D designs, they’re unique, and pretty cheap used. If nothing else it’ll be good enough for my PC. It’s plugged into a Furutech NCF outlet via a LessLoss standard + Firewall 64X.

Initial listening impression is that they don’t ruin the soundstage or my ProAc’s ability to image which is good. The midrange isn’t very convincing but not that bad either. They seem to make my vinyl sound like CDs, possibly robbing it of some dynamic performance. It plays well both connected to my tubed pre and directly to my tubed DAC. Gain is low so I’m finally spared my pre’s tube hiss. Anyway we’ll see. 

016CC252-9A5F-4ED3-A4E3-6F26A96A5FB9.thumb.jpeg.d4892f0183e39d11fad57e950ee5399f.jpeg

Now it is all so clear to me.  This must explain the following strange seismic waves.  It was GUTB finding a class D amp that DID NOT SUCK! And then the earth shifted beneath his feet just a bit. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/11/strange-earthquake-waves-rippled-around-world-earth-geology/

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

On 11/30/2018 at 6:34 PM, sandyk said:

Not necessarily.

How does one set this up?   Any links to help me see how to do this?    Thanks,   GeneZ

3 minutes ago, GeneZ said:

How does one set this up?   Any links to help me see how to do this?    Thanks,   GeneZ

GeneZ

Do you have a Desktop PC with available internal room, perhaps at the bottom of the case ?

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, GeneZ said:

Interesting to know.  I was thinking of the electrical noise of the constantly spinning hard drive which I assume introduces ripple. Not to mention the audible noise it generates in a quieted environment.

I can't find the link at present, but I previously posted the specs of a recent 2TB HDD which showed the level of wideband square wave pulses going back into the main PSU.i

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

GeneZ

Do you have a Desktop PC with available internal room, perhaps at the bottom of the case ?

Alex

Understatement ...   The case is huge.   Its a fanless PC with lots of space with ventilation everywhere.

click on picture to enlarge...

Picture 35.jpg

3 minutes ago, GeneZ said:

Understatement ...   The case is huge.   Its a fanless PC with lots of space with ventilation everywhere.

click on picture to enlarge...

Picture 35.jpg

The attached isn't the ultimate, but several members have found that this cheap ebay PSU PCB can make a worthwhile improvement.

It will first need to be adjusted to +5V out before being connected to the SSD  using a cut in half 4 pin Molex to SATA power supply lead.

40uV voltage regulator for +5V SSD supply.jpg

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

The attached isn't the ultimate, but several members have found that this cheap ebay PSU PCB can make a worthwhile improvement.

It will first need to be adjusted to +5V out before being connected to the SSD  using a cut in half 4 pin Molex to SATA power supply lead.

40uV voltage regulator for +5V SSD supply.jpg

I appreciate that.  Thanks.

On the other hand...   Looks like what might have been, is possibly no longer the case?

https://www.quora.com/Do-SSDs-use-more-or-less-power-than-HDDs-and-by-how-much