IGNORED

Good Class D amps ??

Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 825

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

$32,000

Yes, out of my league!  But the thread is about good Class D amplifiers, this is one.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Right !  I put no $$ restrictions on it, but as a 2o issue, I am collecting a list of amps to replace my old Sunfire with, and would like to economize, partly just to fulfill my Cheapskate expectation bias...

So far, I think I'll rule out the Vidar (hum issues)

List includes:

PS Audio (Class A to D) $1,500

Benchmark ("magic" AB) $3,000

12 minutes ago, barrows said:

Yes, out of my league!  But the thread is about good Class D amplifiers, this is one.

Would love to see a comparison test with those expensive clad D amps. 

Mola, Mola, Theta, and those other expensive once mentioned. 

As long they all use the Ncore 1200. 

17 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Right !  I put no $$ restrictions on it, but as a 2o issue, I am collecting a list of amps to replace my old Sunfire with, and would like to economize, partly just to fulfill my Cheapskate expectation bias...

So far, I think I'll rule out the Vidar (hum issues)

List includes:

PS Audio (Class A to D) $1,500

Benchmark ("magic" AB) $3,000

I have not personally heard Auralic Merak mono power amplifiers, but I know some people that really like them, and they are not ultra-expansive. Just like MBL they are hybrid class A and class D. Chris Martens liked them with his Magnepan speakers.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/auralic-merak-mono-power-amplifiers/?page=2

18 hours ago, barrows said:

Sure, but the interesting question is; where are the "levels"?

Pretty much everyone (except GUTB) thinks the Nord, Apollona, and PS Audio amps that don't sell for more than $3000 MSRP are very good amps by any standard.

How much more do you have to spend to get a significant improvement? Something like the $5000 Merrill?  Is it even noticeably better? Or one of the amps in the 10K neighborhood? It would be interesting to hear from someone who has compared or upgraded within Class D.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, barrows said:

I get a little annoyed when i hear about these so called "hybrid" amps.

Yes Class "D" is not the same as "direct digital" and so is "hybrid" by definition. In direct digital the digital signal itself is amplified, voltage and current and then typically the digital carrier is filtered. Conceivably the digital signal itself might be fed into certain speaker components but implementations are proprietary.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I strongly suggest you check Hattor.com

I have a passive preamp, and it works gloriously. Arek is a great guy.

Even the design of the gear is neat.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

1 hour ago, monteverdi said:

Devialet's ADH is not just a class A input stage (as more or less all class D amps) followed by class D but they claim the class A stage generates the full voltage for the speaker output and 4 class D amps work in parallel to generate the necessary currant. 

My understanding of Devialet is they're rejigging the old Quad concept of 'current dumping' where instead of the 'current dumper' being classB, its class D. So 'hybrid' seems a perfectly reasonable term for it to me. 'Hybrid' is only about the output stage, not about the preceding signal stages (which in many classD amps with opamps, are classAB)

On 03/04/2018 at 3:12 PM, Ralf11 said:

They have a stereo amp under $1,000 USD, correct?

Well, the ones based on the NC252MP and NC502MP modules should (I just had a look at the web page) and if you order the Icepower 1200AS2 based one from outside the EU it should be very close to USD 1000 as well.  If you want NC500 + custom buffers, of course they will be way more than USD 1,000...

On 4/3/2018 at 2:57 PM, Ralf11 said:

that appears to be NYA:

Not Yet Available

I listened to their ToTL model Big Cherry MEGAschino in monoblock mode through JTR speakers at AXPONA today. I’ve never heard the JTRs before, they are 3-way with double 10" drivers and a horn-mounted compression tweeter. I don’t know what DAC or preamp used, I saw a few little boxes in the dark so it was probably Cherry models doing that.

They drove the JTRs with authority. Strong dynamics, power and controlled bass. I didn’t get the best seat in the room so I couldn’t judge soundstage much, but I didn’t detect overt flatness or point-source problems. Sadly, it was a lo-fi experience: low inner detail resolution, results in the sound missing that sense of reality.

I may go back tomorrow to look into the system details to see if the lack of resolution is due to the DAC, pre, etc.

On 3/26/2018 at 4:51 PM, Ralf11 said:

is the NuPrime ST-10 Class D??
$1595

Its the finest amp I have ever listened to ......  That does not mean there is nothing better.  I am sure there must be.  I just have not the means to go beyond the ST10 and still remain feeling justified for my desktop nearfield system.  I tried the NuForce/ JOB.... and several others.  And,  I have owned tubes as well.   Your mileage may vary....   And, yes.  The ST10 uses very little electricity compared to a typical amp of equal power.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update.... Besides the NuPrime ST10 I mentioned...   also a very good sounding amp is the PS Audio S300.  Very good balance of sound.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

PSAudio is flexible on their pricing structure. If you buy from them directly you can always trade up to a newer model and get full credit for what you paid on the old one. Or, you can buy the pair of $3000 PS Audio M700 mono blocks for $1900 like I did from  HighPerformanceStereo.com. When I crank these amps up, my Magnepan 3.6's sound amazing. For the price, I don't think you can do better than the M700's. I'm sure the PS Audio S300 can be had for a similar discount. 

image.png

• 5 months later...

Has anyone compared the PS Audio Stellar M700 and the Hypex NC400?

I had the NC400 for more than a year and I love the detail, neutrality, dynamics and esp how it manage to control the woofer so well. Unfortunately my NC400 just blew (totally my fault) and I am thinking of moving to the M700 but I don't know if it will retain the same qualities. They will be driving a pair of Mezzo Utopias.

40 minutes ago, jmpsmash said:

Has anyone compared the PS Audio Stellar M700 and the Hypex NC400?

I had the NC400 for more than a year and I love the detail, neutrality, dynamics and esp how it manage to control the woofer so well. Unfortunately my NC400 just blew (totally my fault) and I am thinking of moving to the M700 but I don't know if it will retain the same qualities. They will be driving a pair of Mezzo Utopias.

I have a pair of M700s.  It's the only class D I've tried at home.  When compared to my my Emotiva XPA Gen2 stereo amp, the M700s go deeper with the sound stage and more defined in the midrange.  They are also louder.  Where they do lack is in the treble range.  Not as defined as any other class A or AB amp I've had.  I just bought PS Audio BHK250 amp.  That arrives in the next week, so I can compare the M700 to the 250.  I'd also consider Bel Canto's class D amps, from what I've heard at the dealer they are superb but cost more then M700s. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet