IGNORED

Good Class D amps ??

On 12/3/2018 at 2:55 PM, Matias said:

And I ended up ordering yesterday the Apollon NC800 SL with Sparkos opamp, but I am going to test the SI from a friend as well.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:26 PM, mocenigo said:

I think none of you two will be disappointed. These amps are just great. Everybody knows where my preference lies and I won't repeat it (I also sent them back for an upgrade and I will report).

Looking forward to some more discussion. 

"The NCore MP modules have an on board PSU and twin channels providing 85-90% of the sound quality of the NC500 in a compact footprint. They easily outperform older UcD amplifiers. They retain all the bass control, dynamics and most of sound stage and resolution of our NC500 amplifiers out performing most commercial amplifiers found on the high street costing 3-4 times more."

Anyone listened to the MP variants?  They seem good value..

23 hours ago, Matias said:

@John769 I went the opposite direction, ordering the more expensive PRO opamps to get even higher performance and higher price. But I agree, the NC502MP based stereo power amplifier has a great price.

Prices from Apollon website:

- NC800SL (NC500 based - 2 x 400W at 8 ohms) with standard SI opamp - 1575 euros.

- NC800SL (NC500 based - 2 x 400W at 8 ohms) with PRO opamps - 1875 euros.

- NCMP700 (NC502MP based - 2 x 350W at 8 ohms) - 825 euros.

Plus optionals.

What is the SQ difference between the SI 994 and 2x990 Enh Ticha?  Why do Nord only offer the SI 994?

That is half the price for the 502MP. Never listened to them though...

Shame nobody seems to have compared them to the higher model.  It's difficult to make a decision..!

On 1/20/2019 at 5:17 PM, mocenigo said:

Note that Apollon's amplifiers have an astonishingly low noise floor because of the way the buffer is designed.......................................which look less than perfect in the Bellissimo and Nord designs, and a close look at the buffers in my Apollons shows a lot of care.

Thanks for the info.  The latest Nord buffer has been redesigned BTW..

In addition to the use of audio grade polystyrene capacitors throughout, the new topology has allowed fine-tuning of the supporting circuitry and improved noise and RFI counter measures.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/131659-nord-one-up-se-nc500dm-mk-ii-power-amplifier/

My plan is to try the NC500 with recently acquired Tannoy Berkeley speakers (91dB/m, 8ohm). Their reconed HPD 385 drivers are rated to 120 watts RMS, so the Ncores (100 watts continuous) are at the upper end of power I would be inclined to drive them with.

8 hours ago, jtwrace said:

I got into Class D when I built a pair of Hypex NC400's which replaced my 300wpc Class A Clayton Audio Mono blocks.  The madness ensued on AC.  Now I currently use the Hypex NC502MP as shown below.  

Nice speakers! I have my eye on 4367's but that's a pipe dream really.  Have you ever compared your NC502MP and NC500?  I'm about to buy one or the other:

13 hours ago, jtwrace said:

I used to have and sold my NC500's.  You can chase the NC500 if that's what you're after.  In my case, I'm not and having one board with the amp/SMPS does have many advantages and that's why I chose that direction.  

Are those advantages mainly to do with using active crossovers (on your M2's) or other reasons you prefer the MP's?  Your feedback is appreciated..😉

• 8 months later...