IGNORED

Sparky Dietpi Roon-Ready I2S Streamer

1 hour ago, stosoorok said:

I don't have Roon. I like Moode and it's UI/UX. Volumio is okay too.

--

I have tried different players all day now and the results are exactly the same - so it's a hardware problem.

I started with Moode, then Volumio, then DietPi (HQ player NAA, Kodi, YMPD, Shairport Sync, O!MPD, Raspotify). I skipped piCorePlayer because I don't have any LMS devices to test with. Every player gives exactly the same pop in the beginning after play is pressed.

It's pointless to send this no name board back to France also, shipping costs the same or a bit more.

Mate, if you bought it will Paypal then just lodge a return if you are up for the bother of sending it back!

I got my Audiophonics I2S streamer back today. Reloaded DietPI, set it up and then started playing some music. Sounds good (from what I can  tell) and no stuttering. My DAC is displaying a constant bit rate on its display so that issue has been resolved. It seems good so far. My amplifier is out of action for a few weeks so I can only listen through the headphone output on my preamp. I need to wait until I get some music through my speakers with my usual amp' to really get a feel for the quality of the sound. This is the unit: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/i2s-to-hdmi-i2s-module-board-p-10754.html

• 2 weeks later...

I received a replacement HDMI LVDS board (Audio-GD) from Audiophonics and I can't get any sound out of it - total silence. I connected it the same way as this no name board except 3.3V for power. Kali seems to react the same as before.

BCK -> pin 12
MCLK (master clock) -> pin 29
WCK (LRCLK) -> pin 35
Data -> pin 40
Ground -> pin 39
Power -> pin 1 (3.3V)

Some "higher power" does not want me to use I2S. :D

I wonder if Audiophonics can cast any light on how they got the Kali to work with the Audio GD HMDI board - https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players-raspdac/raspdigi-lte-lvds-reclocker-kali-streamer-i2s-lvds-hdmi-audio-gd-compatible-p-12031.html 

The pin-outs look very different:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/audio-gd-diy-kit-i2s-to-hdmi-output-module-p-9347.html

Pin 1 : SDATA -                      Pin 2 : GND                          Pin 3 : SDATA +
Pin 4 : SCLK +                        Pin 5 : GND                          Pin 6 : SCLK -
Pin 7 : LRCK -                         Pin 8 : GND                          Pin 9 : LRCK +
Pin 10: MCLK +                      Pin 11: GND                          Pin 12: MCLK -
Pin 13: NC                             Pin 14: NC                            Pin 15: NC
Pin 16: NC                             Pin 17: GND                          Pin 18: NC

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/i2s-to-hdmi-i2s-module-board-p-10754.html

• Pin 9 : GND
  • Pin 8 : MCLK
  • Pin 7 : LRCK
  • Pin 6 : SCLK
  • Pin 5 : SDATA
  • i2s-to-hdmi-i2s-module-board.jpg

Great success! ?

I didn't know that Allo Kali does not output 3.3V on pin1. I used LT1117 and connected it to pin2 5V output and now everything works great. No clicks pops or other glitches anymore. DSD Native works great also. Already tried Moode and Volumio both working fine. Also Sparky/Volumio with Kali reclocker and Audio-GD I2S HDMI LVDS output board works.

Kali_i2s_out_audio-gd_hdmi_lvds.thumb.JPG.bf1cd5d9e1052f7ede81fc0341edc2d1.JPG

---

@scumbag

PS Audio and Audio-GD use the same HDMI LVDS pinout except PS Audio does not use MCLK so I grounded it. This is for PS Audio DS, DS jr and Stellar Gain Cell DAC. Credits to Jesus Rodriguez from sonore.us.

psa-vs-agd_hdmi-lvds.thumb.PNG.af9e49b6fa75cdf05e81d9bb36ba7781.PNG

And here I made better Allo Kali reclocker pinout where I connected Audio-GD HDMI LVDS output module wires except MCLK:

Kali_gpio.thumb.jpg.457ebb61b52518646ca2383a92e8cd67.jpg

So maybe now I made someone else's life in this situation a little bit easier. I also want to thank Audiophonics Luc and Audio-GD Kingwa for support and of course @scumbag and @tapatrick :)

Just on another possibly related issue.

I have been getting great sound out of my I2S streamer now that it has arrived back from France but there are fairly regular very low-level pops during playback. I am not in front of my system at the moment to test any solutions but I have been reading that this is a known issue with Dietpi and annoyingly, it's been known for quite some time.

Anyway there are 2 solutions. One is to change to "change interrupt 63" in the Linux system and the other is (I have read) to reduce playback to 16bit / 44.1khz. Obviously it would be nice to get the full use out of my device and be able to leave it at 32bit / 384khz. And yeah, I know those figures are unachievable in reality but I paid for a device with certain spec's so I don't see why I should need to reduce the playback to CD quality just to get the noises to stop!

So does anyone have any guidance on the process of editing the r.local file? Does Dietpi have an editor in it that allows me to open and change the contents of files??? I'm not across Linux so forgive my ignorance!

BTW, I'm using the Allo Dietpi Image - https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/odroid-c2-roonbridge-dietpi-sound-issues/25888/3

https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4585

On 10/1/2018 at 4:44 AM, scumbag said:

Does Dietpi have an editor in it that allows me to open and change the contents of files??? I'm not across Linux so forgive my ignorance!

Yes, you will need to ssh into your dietpi device, then you can edit the part you want in root mode

login should be something like:

ssh [email protected] (your ip address for device)

password: dietpi

Then:

sudo nano (followed by the file you wish to edit)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Hi Tapatrick,

Got a silly questions to ask because I just aware of this Ethernet to i2s streamer project the passed few days, and I start reading Ian's enormous pages and they overwhelmed me. Why you choose McFifo instead of FiFo II? Since you are using jumper wires and connect from Sparky's GPIO pins to McFifo, is that mean you don't need an isolator board such as IsolatorPi?

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 4:53 PM, lateboomer said:

Hi Tapatrick,

Got a silly questions to ask because I just aware of this Ethernet to i2s streamer project the passed few days, and I start reading Ian's enormous pages and they overwhelmed me. Why you choose McFifo instead of FiFo II? Since you are using jumper wires and connect from Sparky's GPIO pins to McFifo, is that mean you don't need an isolator board such as IsolatorPi?

Sorry @lateboomer didn't see this and not sure why I didn't get an announcement. Yes the McFifo does the isolation and it was Ian's most recent board along with the McDualXO. They are designed to work together.

"McFIFO is an asynchronous multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO. It is a kind of logic device which can buffer the digital audio stream, allowing the audio data to pass through while isolating the original clock and replacing it with a new secondary clock. If the new clock has less phase noise than the old one, the digital audio stream after the McFIFO will have less jitter and that will make the DAC or other digital audio device playing the stream sound better. Moreover, the sound quality of the playback will be independent from the digital audio source.

The McDualXO is a multi-channel multi-frequency clock board which was designed especially for McFIFO to improve sound quality by utilizing ultra-low jitter technologies. It comes with automatic Fs switching, dedicated low jitter fan-out buffers, ultra-low noise LDO and ultra-high speed re-clocking. Multi-layers PCB design, enhanced power supply design, impedance controlled traces and many other improvements work together to ensure outputting highest quality digital audio clocks and signals."

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, lateboomer said:

Hi Tapatrick,

I read some where that sparky is able to play native dsd256 now. Have you try this out?

Hi @lateboomer no I’m not using DSD. 

I saw your posts over on Ian’s thread :)

I am now using an AL/NUC server and endpoint set up as it’s got superior sound and my sparky/dietpi  is now gathering dust. Although I did see that Ian has created an I2S to HDMI module that I might try out instead of the Audio gd module I have on the sparky setup, as I always felt this was the weak link in the chain. 

Thank you for the info. It is the first time I know about this AL/NUC route to achieve good sound. It has been more than a year I didn't come over here to get latest update about computer audiophile. Although I had use AL few years ago, I even bought 2 versions from the creator but during that time support was suck big time and I was not technically savvy.

I mostly run Daphile from NUC but may be Daphile can also boot and operate at the RAM. I will pick up about this AL/NUC again and hopefully not so difficult this time around.