IGNORED

Sparky Dietpi Roon-Ready I2S Streamer

15 minutes ago, stosoorok said:

Thanks for the great info @tapatrick Ian tweeted few days after my order was shipped out. I ordered Allo Kali Reclocker and I2S HDMI LVDS from audiophonics. I hope this wasn't a mistake. Fellow member @scumbag seems to be happy with it.

I already have 3 Zero Zone R-core LPSU (5V/12V/24V) and each can be adjusted few volts. This Tubelover2 POE trick is really interesting, many pages to read now. 

thats always the way though :) new, better things coming out all the time.. as long as we are happy where we are.

The Zerozones are good, similar to the Teradaks (unless they are bad chinese copies). If you are into diy replacing all the internal caps to the Nichicon HWs brings an very nice improvement... but only if you are confident handling AC.

Yes the POE DC cables are a must.. highly recommended. The final version DUAL CAT 3.1 is using a high quality AQ cinnamon ethernet or similar for positive and a less expensive Ugreen or similar ethernet cable for negative. Somehow this can be like adding a new DAC or amp depending on your system..

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

I forgot about this thread until I got a notification this morning.

As an update, I returned my I2S Streamer to Audiophonics the other week as I was having some issues. It took me repeated attempts to get back to me but the upshot is they've now told me that the streamer is NOT 100% compatible with the Direct Stream (& Junior) DAC. They didn't specify what part of the device was causing the issue so I've sent an email back to the get clarification. I am guessing (hoping) that it is the LVDS board and not the Kali board to blame. Audiophonics used a generic LVDS board and I am guessing that they'll swap it out for another LVDS board that they stock. I don't think that the Audio_gd LVDS board that they stock will work in this application so I think they'll have to source another one. I'll post back when (IF!) I get an answer. It's been a long slog to get any information out of them to be honest......

17 hours ago, scumbag said:

As an update, I returned my I2S Streamer to Audiophonics the other week as I was having some issues. It took me repeated attempts to get back to me but the upshot is they've now told me that the streamer is NOT 100% compatible with the Direct Stream (& Junior) DAC. They didn't specify what part of the device was causing the issue so I've sent an email back to the get clarification. I am guessing (hoping) that it is the LVDS board and not the Kali board to blame. Audiophonics used a generic LVDS board and I am guessing that they'll swap it out for another LVDS board that they stock. I don't think that the Audio_gd LVDS board that they stock will work in this application so I think they'll have to source another one. I'll post back when (IF!) I get an answer. It's been a long slog to get any information out of them to be honest......

What a great news. :( Which software did you use with it? 

Well i got a response back from Audiophonics.fr. It was as i hoped, the lvds board was the issue, not the Kali board. Apparently they tested the lvds unit they were previously using against the directstream junior dac and they replicated the issues that I was having..they have told me that they sourced a new lvds board and tested it and it is working find with the dsj dac. They'll be sending my streamer back to me on Monday i guess.

As for software, i ended up using dietpi. I don't have much experience with pi stuff so i thought I'd try this first as it was compatible with roon. It's also very flexible and there was an option to add an allo web based control panel which meant I could at least access the device remotely over my network. There was a small learning curve but I got it all set up to my satisfaction after playing around with it for a day.

I'm looking forward to getting it back. It sounded amazing in my system, glitches and technical issues aside. 

@scumbag That was quick, could you take a pic after you receive it so we could identify this new I2S -> HDMI LVDS board.

I ordered Kali reclocker:https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspberry-pi-and-other-sbc-accessories/allo-kali-reclocker-i2s-fifo-sparky-sbc-and-raspberry-4448mhz-32bit-384khz-p-11433.html

And this HDMI lvds board: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/module-interface-entree-i2s-vers-sortie-hdmi-p-12506.html

Other parts needed here I already have from previous projects.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players-raspdac/raspdigi-lte-lvds-v2-streamer-i2s-lvds-hdmi-allo-kali-reclocker-audio-gd-gustard-compatible-p-13064.html

---

@tapatrick @rb2013 Is there a specific (SQ) reason to use these cheap 2 or 8 port POE boards for dual CAT DC? Have anyone tried to connect cat7 cables directly to DC jack adapter like this: 

10287-01.jpg

39 minutes ago, stosoorok said:

@scumbag That was quick, could you take a pic after you receive it so we could identify this new I2S -> HDMI LVDS board.

I ordered Kali reclocker:https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspberry-pi-and-other-sbc-accessories/allo-kali-reclocker-i2s-fifo-sparky-sbc-and-raspberry-4448mhz-32bit-384khz-p-11433.html

And this HDMI lvds board: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/module-interface-entree-i2s-vers-sortie-hdmi-p-12506.html

Other parts needed here I already have from previous projects.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players-raspdac/raspdigi-lte-lvds-v2-streamer-i2s-lvds-hdmi-allo-kali-reclocker-audio-gd-gustard-compatible-p-13064.html

---

@tapatrick @rb2013 Is there a specific (SQ) reason to use these cheap 2 or 8 port POE boards for dual CAT DC? Have anyone tried to connect cat7 cables directly to DC jack adapter like this: 

10287-01.jpg

Hi, unfortunately, the LVDS board you linked to is the same one that the original streamer had. I'm about 99% certain based on having looked at it briefly inside the unit that I had. The jumper on the left side is the giveaway - the one that switches the jumpers between "Audio-GD" and "PS Audio". The one I had didn't have a brand on it -  and the one pictured in the link doesn't either. 

I won't be sure what board they will be putting in the replacement and I have to wait until it ships from France to Australia so assuming the send in Monday (their time), it will be over a week until I see it (about 10-14 days).

I can take a photo and post it when I get it though.

Interestingly the LVDS module that Magna use in their Mano player is only meant to be compatible with Audio-GD but I know for a fact that it can be used to stream to PS Audio. So perhaps they do this setting the correct jumper pin setting or using a more brute force approach and modify the wiring on the wiring between the module and the Kali - I guess that is doable.

http://www.forum-hifi.fr/thread-1252-post-24214.html#pid24214

So Audiophonics may be using the Audio-GD LVDS board with the necessary mods''. Which makes sense since they already stock them - https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/audio-gd-diy-kit-i2s-to-hdmi-output-module-p-9347.html

Either way, once you get it set up correctly, rest assured, it will sound phenomenal. 

I changed my mind at the last minute before I bought this "no name" board like in the audiophonics streamer. I don't know why... It was cheaper I guess :D

Mano player uses this I2S -> HDMI board: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-interfaces/audio-gd-diy-kit-i2s-to-hdmi-output-module-p-9347.html

I'll test this "no name" board with Volumio and Moode and then if not working I will talk to audiophonics, maybe they are willing to replace it.

There were a few issues with the generic LDVS board that my Audiophonics shipped with. Small clicks during playback, dropouts and the readout on my Direct Stream Junior constantly flicked between 24bit and 16bit. I don't know if the bitrate readout issue was a "real"issue or just my DAC getting confused. It didn't seem to affect the playback quality.  The clicking and dropouts were unacceptable though!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=853411704

On 9/7/2018 at 12:40 AM, scumbag said:

I forgot about this thread until I got a notificatiin ......It's been a long slog to get any information out of them to be honest......

That was my experience with Audiophonics too. Not impressed with them. They sent me a bunch of screws instead of an LVDS board, then when it finally came it was not as the photo on website. Took ages for a response not to mention their shipping costs are very high. 

I find Audio-gd much better - quick to respond, informative and their LVDS board works very well with my PS Junior DAC. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

This is the board you will need to get to work with PS audio DACs. 

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/diy/I2Skits/I2SEN.htm

The HDMI output model with I2S in. 

My streamer was complicated to set up but never had any issues with the HDMI board. Sounds superb. 

6 hours ago, stosoorok said:

---

10287-01.jpg

The 2 and 8 POE boards are convenient for securely connecting Ethernet cables. Tuberlover2 details how it all works in great detail on his thread on US Audio Mart. He pioneered this surprising SQ discovery. 

I use the DC plugs for convenience. I don’t find any hindrance to SQ with them and solder the connections once I am happy with the set up. I haven’t soldered Cat 7 cables to them but no harm in trying. 

I didn't realise that there were other threads dealing with using the audio-gd lvds boards successfully with the ps audio. I don't spend much time on this forum to be honest. 

Frsnkly I am surprised that audiophpnics didn't decide to use the audio-gd board with their i2s kali streamer in the first place. It would have saved them and me a lot of time and cost in freight if they'd used a proven board rather than a sh$tbox no name unit to save save a few euros on their bill of materials. I had to pay $50 aud or if my own pocket to return the unit to France. Only to be told, yes the lvds board is incompatible so we'll change it for you. 

They advertise it as ps audio compatible so why not actually test it with a ps audio dac before releasing it to market? 

Is course, I'm assuming they will be using a new lvds board that has been tested against a ps audio dac. Or perhaps I should say hoping. When i first got the unit it made sound but it was scrambled. Audiophpnics asked me to return the unit as it was faulty. The webpage for the unit clearly shows that the unit can be converted from one i2s format to another so I opened unit and found some jumper pins in there labelled PS. So i moved the jumpers and the sound became normal. 

I had to point this out to audiophonics. Nobody I was dealing  with was aware of this even though it was clearly written up in their Web site. 

End rant. 

I didn't realise that there were other threads dealing with using the audio-gd lvds boards successfully with the ps audio. I don't spend much time on this forum to be honest. 

Frsnkly I am surprised that audiophpnics didn't decide to use the audio-gd board with their i2s kali streamer in the first place. It would have saved them and me a lot of time and cost in freight if they'd used a proven board rather than a sh$tbox no name unit to save save a few euros on their bill of materials. I had to pay $50 aud or if my own pocket to return the unit to France. Only to be told, yes the lvds board is incompatible so we'll change it for you. 

They advertise it as ps audio compatible so why not actually test it with a ps audio dac before releasing it to market? 

Is course, I'm assuming they will be using a new lvds board that has been tested against a ps audio dac. Or perhaps I should say hoping. When i first got the unit it made sound but it was scrambled. Audiophpnics asked me to return the unit as it was faulty. The webpage for the unit clearly shows that the unit can be converted from one i2s format to another so I opened unit and found some jumper pins in there labelled PS. So i moved the jumpers and the sound became normal. 

I had to point this out to audiophonics. Nobody I was dealing  with was aware of this even though it was clearly written up in their Web site. 

End rant. 

@scumbag Exactly, I'm in the same boat with you. It is advertised as compatible with PS Audio and that's why I ordered this no name board and save a few bucks also. But I will test it out before I contact audiophonics, maybe your board was just faulty,  this is a very simple device.

You can leave a feedback for the device on audiophonics site.

I have it direct from Audiophonics via email. They tested the no-name board and it is not compatible with my PS Audio DAC. So that would seem to indicate it wasn't a faulty unit. They also told me they swapped it out for a new type of board (unspecified) and tested it for a day and had no issues.

18 hours ago, scumbag said:

End rant. 

Yep ? I feel your pain. I won’t use Audiophonics again. Indeed the road for us tweakers and DIYers is not easy ?, that’s why these forums are so cool where folks share their hard won knowledge making it easier for others. 

I connected my new toys (Raspberry -> Kali -> I2S -> "no name HDMI LVDS" -> HDMI -> SGCD). Everything works great and the sound is amazing with the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Dac! Compared to Allo DigiOne board not a night and day difference but much better! And this is all with no extra mods. Mods come later.

I use Moode 4.2 software with Raspberry Pi3. From the audio config menu you must select "Generic-2 I2S rpi-dac" then reboot and then apply mpd config. Have not found any problems with different files. High res flac and dsf files play just fine. DoP must be disabled!

Kali_i2s_out_hdmi_lvds.thumb.JPG.583f1dd942bd3a33dc12c721759c6791.JPGmoode_4.2_conf.thumb.jpg.7ac905205a64a06393730074640cfe91.jpg

Kali_gpio.jpg

I noticed a click/pop today when changed a playlist and pressed play button. This is happening only when player is in stopped/paused state and starts playing. Seems like a software (mpd?) issue but it was not present with Allo DigiOne HAT so it could be hardware issue too I guess. It's not a big problem but annoying. 

Also heard some weird noises on the background when the player is stopped and turning up volume to max.  rPi HF noises I think.

This "XIN-YI" HDMI LVDS has a LT1086 (150uV max but measures lower) regulator on the board, does it change SQ? Maybe upgrade to LT3045?

One would assume that any issues of electrical noise would be stopped by the Kali. So I'd be looking at the LVDS board as a troubleshoot and see if swapping boards fixes the issue. If not then the Moode OS may be to blame. I was having issue similar to this with the original no-name LVDS board in my Audiophonics I2S streamer running DietPI. Unfortunately the unit is still in transit back from France with it's new replacement LVDS board so I can't confirm how it performs. I'm keen to see what they put in there - as I said in a previous post, I'm guessing it will be the Audio-GD board. If it performs well then I think this points the way for DIYers in terms of a good LVDS board to use in their builds.

1 hour ago, stosoorok said:

Funny thing, audiophonics says it's a software problem, software developer says it's a hardware problem. What a wonderful world!

Okay I'll try other software like Volumio, Dietpi and piCorePlayer - that should sort it out.

The eternal circle of finger pointing. 

Dietpi is a great distro. Use the Allo web interface, it's great. 

5 hours ago, scumbag said:

The eternal circle of finger pointing. 

Dietpi is a great distro. Use the Allo web interface, it's great. 

I use Dietpi running roonbridge with the Audio-gd board and I’ve not had any problems. 

I don't have Roon. I like Moode and it's UI/UX. Volumio is okay too.

--

I have tried different players all day now and the results are exactly the same - so it's a hardware problem.

I started with Moode, then Volumio, then DietPi (HQ player NAA, Kodi, YMPD, Shairport Sync, O!MPD, Raspotify). I skipped piCorePlayer because I don't have any LMS devices to test with. Every player gives exactly the same pop in the beginning after play is pressed.

It's pointless to send this no name board back to France also, shipping costs the same or a bit more.