IGNORED

Where to donate CD's?

This is a follow-up to this thread that I started a bit ago.  I've decided I am going to donate my CD collection.  The issue I'm having is where to donate them to.  Anyone have any ideas of reliable organizations that not only accept them but they will do with them what they say?  I'm totally open from military vets, domestic violence shelters to any sort of children's shelter.  

All ideas are welcomed!  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Search around here, maybe call and see if they want them:  Morale, Welfare and Recreation, abbreviated MWR, is a network of support and leisure services (see AAFES) designed for use by U.S. soldiers (active, Reserve, and Guard), their families, current and retired DoD civilian employees, military retirees, veterans with 100 percent service-connected disability and other eligible participants.

http://www.militaryonesource.mil/morale-welfare-and-recreation

Other than that, Library sounds like a good idea.

legally, you are required to have the CD of all of your rips.

No electron left behind.

Library sounds like an awful idea if you have been in one recently.  I won't dive into the moral or cultural changes effecting public services but of the ideas listed they are most likely to spin those suckers into cash by any means possible.  If they even accept musical donations that don't come in as funds earmarked for that purpose.  YMMV.

You could follow their example only divert the funds to a charity of your choosing through an ebay auction.

Another more personable option is to seek out a fully funded charitable organization that accepts donations of good quality household goods.  A couple evenings a week low income individuals and families can come in and take items for no charge.

I also vote for a public library.  ours has an extensive CD and video collection; they even bought the DVDs of the best local video rental when it went out of business a few years ago.  They do sell off paperbacks but I have never seen them sell CDs - not that it is such a horrible thing to do so.

My local library has a bigger selection the Best Buy, that's not saying much.  They literally have 1,000s of CDs at just this one location.  All categorized for your listening pleasure.  They do sell them off once a year for $.50 when they get too many copies.  They also have DVDs but no Blu-rays yet.  

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I’ve purchased quite a few CDs from Goodwills around the country as many are Amazon sellers.  I think they’d be a good giveaway choice as they’ll get market value from selling them and the profits will go to a good cause.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_Industries

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

56 minutes ago, bixby said:

@jtwrace - If you have a list, I still buy cds.  Just sayin!

That is the problem, and why he wants to donate them.  US law says that if you copy cds (and who doesn't) you have to delete those copies if you sell the discs.  Not sure the same isn't true for donating, but my conscience, for one, would not be bothered by the donation idea one iota.

7 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I’ve purchased quite a few CDs from Goodwills around the country as many are Amazon sellers.  I think they’d be a good giveaway choice as they’ll get market value from selling them and the profits will go to a good cause.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_Industries

Goodwill is a privately owned business.  Salvation Army is a true charity.  

@jtwrace  I've given my CD's to a local independent living facility private library. My experience with my Mom for the last 5 years of her life and the care she received there made this easy. All of these facilities have lending libraries that are staffed by volunteers and gratefully accept CD's. They especially love the classical genre.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

At no point did I see the reason for starting a second thread multiple months distant from the one that devolved into fighting was to stoke these dormant coals and add fresh fuel.  It was to determine how best to find them a new home where they would be appreciated.  

Public libraries tend to shun single copies and collect multiples at a discounted rate from suppliers approved by the government entity that funds them.  There are private libraries that may prove to be more or less receptive to fundraising with community donations.  

• 3 months later...
On 7/5/2018 at 12:43 AM, lucretius said:

Goodwill is a non-profit -- how is that different from Salvation Army?

Semantics, mostly.   Both donate about the same percentage of their proceeds to community.  I still don’t like Goodwill claiming that each “store” is run by local communities and the “global CEO” still makes a reported $700K annual salary while they pay peanuts to the workers.  Some states have already passed laws to phase out the below min wage pay loophole.  Some people don’t like the restrictions SA places on some of its donations.  I guess it’s pick your poison!