IGNORED

Article: dCS Rossini DAC Review

15 hours ago, miguelito said:

This is the DSD download I purchased:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/98485/Bob_Dylan-The_Freewheelin_Bob_Dylan-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

However, it doesn't look to be a MoFi release. Roon's pick of the MoFi artwork threw me off. The sound quality is stunning regardless.

Thanks for the clarification.  And I agree with you completely: the DSD64 version from Acoustic Sounds is superb.  But I cannot help but wonder how the MoFi SACD sounds through my primary listening DAC.  If only I had kept my OPPO 105D I could have purchased and ripped it.... <sigh>

8 hours ago, elcorso said:

Send it to upgrades forget, very difficult to export and re-export products from my country and pay again the expensive import taxes. I came to feel as if I had bought an unfinished product.

Just curious: You can't export and re-import, show your previous payment of taxes on the unit, and just pay taxes on the upgrade? I know it is a hassle, but you should be able to.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Just curious: You can't export and re-import, show your previous payment of taxes on the unit, and just pay taxes on the upgrade? I know it is a hassle, but you should be able to.

The issue with product you need to send to a foreign country for upgrades/repairs is a major one, frankly - major pain and expensive/slow to ship back and forth. dCS is british but they have a fully supported operation in the US.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

8 hours ago, firedog said:

Bureaucracy is the worst evil in countries south of the US border. Any customs procedure takes a lot of time, resources and money. Some malicious people say that we pay few taxes, but for example, cars pay 80%, appliances 50%, etc., etc. Even so the governments never reach the money they want, about 50% of our budget is going to pay high salaries and extraordinary benefits to bureaucrats. All taxes are high, for income, possession of goods and even vehicles. The mandatory charge for social security and accident and health insurance for company personnel are also very expensive (your Medicare?). These days there are bills to raise all taxes and put some new ones, until Netflix is going to have taxes ...! The problem, as many see it, is that this will not bring a more balanced budgets, but an excessive growth in bureaucratic costs, as always.

But we are qualified as one of the happiest countries in Latin America and worldwide too ...!

I am sorry for the long explanation, but I hope I have answered your question.

Roch

On 3/18/2018 at 10:15 PM, BMCG said:

About difference of wilson and kharma and TAD.

I have heard TAD and Kharma and Wilson.

i think TAD is pure, smooth , sophisticated and is one of best loudspeaker in modern style.

TAD has smooth resolution and very accurate but it’s sound is different to Living Voice Horn.

dCS in all three systems (kharma , wilson, TAD) has unique footprint and it’s presentation is different to Audio Note DAC.

I think there is no complex subject in my statement.

23 hours ago, elcorso said:

There are many logical things that can appear illogical ...

You are speculating and unaware of the fine print of my relationship with Lampizator and I honestly do not think this is the place and time to go into detail. I wanted to expose this thinking that it is necessary to do it so that others do not fall into the mousetrap (a new word I learned thanks to @ted_b since English is not my native language).

I think there have been improvements in digital reproduction since it began, but there is also a lot of garbage in the endless paid upgrades that certain companies want us to put in, which many call "snake oil". There are some good ones that help my Lampi, like those of @Superdad's UpTone Audio.

At this moment I have (or have had) close to 10 DACs from different companies, so I am in a position to comment on one of them (and especially relations with their customers).

Carpe Diem !

Roch

What is your idea about dCS?

On 3/21/2018 at 1:18 PM, elcorso said:

At this moment I have (or have had) close to 10 DACs from different companies, so I am in a position to comment on one of them (and especially relations with their customers).

Would be interesting to hear your opinions if you care to share.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

On 3/17/2018 at 7:59 PM, firedog said:

Others will jump all over me, but if I was starting a Dylan collection, the two albums I'd want are Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks.

What you should really get is, The Original Mono Recordings, Box Set:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Mono-Recordings-Bob-Dylan/dp/B003XRDYX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521330944&sr=8-1&keywords=dylan+original+mono+recordings+CD

The sound is fantastic and the entire 8 disc set is a bargain. I think you can get if for even less than the Amazon price if you look. And really, the SQ here is competitive with any other version you will spend your money on. You don't have to buy super expensive audiophile versions to get audiophile level sound. 

Dylan Original Monos arrived today--they are AWESOME!!!  The funny paradox is that their soundstage is better than the stereo version.  He's right here with me--thanks, FD!

• 3 months later...

I read few times that the ROSSINI (that I am contemplating a my next DAC) does support Tidal, Spotify Connect & Deezer, but... I do not see any mention of DEEZER in the Rossini's manual

--> Is DEEZER supported by Rossini (direct, not through airplay)

--> Will QOOBUZ be supported soon ? 

thanks in advance

Bertrand MICHELS

4 hours ago, bmichels said:

I read few times that the ROSSINI (that I am contemplating a my next DAC) does support Tidal, Spotify Connect & Deezer, but... I do not see any mention of DEEZER in the Rossini's manual

--> Is DEEZER supported by Rossini (direct, not through airplay)

thanks in advance

Bertrand MICHELS

Best to get it straight from the horse’s mouth @AMP

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The Rossini supports Tidal and Spotify Connect as well as UPnP, Roon, and Airplay.

As a matter of policy we no longer comment on our future product plans so I can't provide any insight on what's coming or not.

Some users have been successful using a third-party UPnP control point like mConnect or BubbleUPnP to stream Qobuz to our products. This generally works well and allows whatever the native stream resolution that Qobuz provides for any particular track.

Programme Manager, Streaming Audio

Data Conversion Systems, Ltd

On 3/17/2018 at 5:43 AM, miguelito said:

Not true in my system at all. If anything it is a deeper color presentation than some other DAC’s I’ve used (EmmLabs, TAD).

Same opinion here. I think the Rossini offers very rich and 'easy' tonality. The dCS Puccini + clock that I owned before were more focused on transparency and details and less on rich tonality. Any comparison between earlier generations from dCS and the latest one (Rossini and Vivaldi) really doesn't make much sense. The latest version of their Ring DAC has a much better tonality, and also the analogue stages have been greatly improved.

On 3/17/2018 at 3:32 PM, miguelito said:

I purchsased the clock based on recommendations of people I trust. I have not done on/off test, not interested in A/B that sorry. These days I am super busy with work and when I am home I want to relax, not tinker. Maybe some day...

If you have a fairly high end and well set up system, I strongly suggest you try and evaluate a component in your system for a few days at least.

I can tell you from my own experience that everyone will easily be able to hear the improvements brought by the Rossini clock. Once heard you will want it.

41 minutes ago, Vincent1234 said:

I can tell you from my own experience that everyone will easily be able to hear the improvements brought by the Rossini clock. Once heard you will want it.

I have it! :)

system pics

On 3/19/2018 at 4:05 PM, ted_b said:

Oh, and the first notes have the guitar in the right channel on both the original and the 2012 MoFi.  It comes from the middle on the Mono Mofi  :)

x-Dx-Dx-D

system pics

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

I have it! :)

I know! But you mentioned not having A/B'd it. While it's so easy: just switch it on and off while playing. I can easily hear the difference already when sitting between my speakers near the clock for switching on and off (nowhere near my sweet spot!). The sound image shrinks right away when switching it off. But by now you must have tried this, haven't you? ?

13 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

I know! But you mentioned not having A/B'd it. While it's so easy: just switch it on and off while playing. I can easily hear the difference already when sitting between my speakers near the clock for switching on and off (nowhere near my sweet spot!). The sound image shrinks right away when switching it off. But by now you must have tried this, haven't you? ?

I have not... :) Like I said too busy to tinker... 

system pics

I have been reading the comments with great interest as I am presently considering either a Berkeley reference 2 MQA or DCS Rossini (and trying to figure out how much stuff I can sell /trade to be able to purchase either of these.  Hence interest in eliminating my pre for sale/trade and having either go directly to my amp)

I just listened to both of them at Quintessence Audio in Chicago. 

I liked both, and ultimately ended up leaving there telling them I would like to hear them in my own system. I tremendously agree with those here who have said you need to live with a product in your own system. It is very difficult to tell the acoustic signature of an isolated product in a full system at an audio show. There are so many other uncontrolled variables present. You are ultimately hearing the acoustic signature of the entire system and environment. The same goes if you are hearing it at an audio store  and tremendously agree with those here who have said you need to live with a product in your own system. It is impossible to tell the acoustic signature of a product at an audio show. There so many other variables that are not controlled. You are ultimately hearing the acoustic signature of the entire system, and environment. The same goes if you are hearing it at an audio store in their system. 

I love the idea of having the DAC directly drive the amplifier but I’ve never tried it. 

Most people whom I have interacted with in audio circles tend to not be computer audio folk like us. They universally have been against this. I am curious for a number of reasons, not the least of which it would allow me a lot more money on trade-in, as well as Rackspace, to get rid of my audio research REF 6 preamp (which I happen to think is the bees knees and absolutely amazing by the way )

So my question stems from my love of vinyl as well. I’m one of these odd guys on this forum loves computer audio, but does also love vinyl, and appreciate what it brings to the table which clearly is different—Even from world-class digital reproduction.   This is off-topic to get into a discussion of vinyl versus digital, but I would like to continue listening to vinyl  which would seem too obviously necessitate the use of a preamplifier.  That being said, there are some pretty clever people in these forums and maybe somebody has other thoughts on another way to accomplish said task as most DACs do not have analog inputs ;)

So, I guess my question is whether or not there are any slick options to have a turntable and  somehow get that signal to a digital preamplifier if I would abandon my ARC REF6. What sounds like is the only option out there is some sort of a DAC /pre  that has a phono input-I believe someone had commented on this being a possibility with MSB?

Just curious if anybody has any thoughts on this specifically.  For those of us who have a love for vinyl, it sounds like we probably need to have a true preamplifier and not remove it from the chain?

Thanks all. Have a great weekend. 

Present system:

Aurender S10–Berkeley alpha USB—Meitner MA1–ARC REF 6 Pre—ARC REF 110–Vandersteen Quattro CT

Project Debut Carbon — ARC REF Phono 3–ARC REF6–etc. 

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

By the way, as an aside, love Dylan. Absolutely would start with Blood on the Tracks.  There are certainly songs on other albums that I prefer but man the sound on that album is just awesome. It’s so eminently listenable and just makes me feel good right from the first notes of Tangled up in Blue. Its an an easy entrance point to Dylan. 

Also, as a shameless plug for my present DAC, I will be looking to sell my Meitner MA1 on this site in the near future for those interested-I am the second owner (the first owner being Ted here on CA)

Thanks for thoughts. 

By the way Chris, I really value your reviews-I don’t believe you have ever reviewed any of the MSB offerings and I don’t even know where there is a dealer near me but it would be interesting to read one of your reviews on their equipment. 

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

12 hours ago, blaven said:

I have been reading the comments with great interest as I am presently considering either a Berkeley reference 2 MQA or DCS Rossini (and trying to figure out how much stuff I can sell /trade to be able to purchase either of these.  Hence interest in eliminating my pre for sale/trade and having either go directly to my amp)

I just listened to both of them at Quintessence Audio in Chicago. 

I liked both, and ultimately ended up leaving there telling them I would like to hear them in my own system. I tremendously agree with those here who have said you need to live with a product in your own system. It is very difficult to tell the acoustic signature of an isolated product in a full system at an audio show. There are so many other uncontrolled variables present. You are ultimately hearing the acoustic signature of the entire system and environment. The same goes if you are hearing it at an audio store  and tremendously agree with those here who have said you need to live with a product in your own system. It is impossible to tell the acoustic signature of a product at an audio show. There so many other variables that are not controlled. You are ultimately hearing the acoustic signature of the entire system, and environment. The same goes if you are hearing it at an audio store in their system. 

I love the idea of having the DAC directly drive the amplifier but I’ve never tried it. 

Most people whom I have interacted with in audio circles tend to not be computer audio folk like us. They universally have been against this. I am curious for a number of reasons, not the least of which it would allow me a lot more money on trade-in, as well as Rackspace, to get rid of my audio research REF 6 preamp (which I happen to think is the bees knees and absolutely amazing by the way )

So my question stems from my love of vinyl as well. I’m one of these odd guys on this forum loves computer audio, but does also love vinyl, and appreciate what it brings to the table which clearly is different—Even from world-class digital reproduction.   This is off-topic to get into a discussion of vinyl versus digital, but I would like to continue listening to vinyl  which would seem too obviously necessitate the use of a preamplifier.  That being said, there are some pretty clever people in these forums and maybe somebody has other thoughts on another way to accomplish said task as most DACs do not have analog inputs ;)

So, I guess my question is whether or not there are any slick options to have a turntable and  somehow get that signal to a digital preamplifier if I would abandon my ARC REF6. What sounds like is the only option out there is some sort of a DAC /pre  that has a phono input-I believe someone had commented on this being a possibility with MSB?

Just curious if anybody has any thoughts on this specifically.  For those of us who have a love for vinyl, it sounds like we probably need to have a true preamplifier and not remove it from the chain?

Thanks all. Have a great weekend. 

Present system:

Aurender S10–Berkeley alpha USB—Meitner MA1–ARC REF 6 Pre—ARC REF 110–Vandersteen Quattro CT

Project Debut Carbon — ARC REF Phono 3–ARC REF6–etc. 

Hi blaven. Allow me to comment on your possible plans to remove/sell your preamp. FYI: I own the Rossini + clock and also love playing vinyl, using a top-spec Linn LP12. In my previous setup I had an ARC Ref5 SE preamp and an Ayre VX-5 Twenty amp, which was a terrific sounding combination. And, just out of curiosity, I did try passing by the Ref5 SE and plugging the Rossini directly into the Ayre amp. To cut it short: there was no comparison. Using the direct connection to the Ayre meant losing so much space, air, tone and 'life' that I was actually pretty shocked. You get my point: I myself would NEVER give up such a great preamp as your Ref6 to make a shortcut to upgrading to another DAC. I do think you will likely be sorry, not just because of your inability to easily keep playing vinyl, but simply because you might well lose the sound you love so much now. I know some in these quarters are really happy plugging in their DAC's into their main amps, so YMMV. But your preamp is something very special indeed and especially the tubes create a different space and tonal character in your system and therefore I strongly advise you to carefully listen first before you decide. Yes, there was slightly more micro detail when connecting the Rossini directly into the Ayre, but overall the experience was simply bad, as it took the life out of my system.

BTW: As said, this was my previous setup. In the meantime I've upgraded to a Spectral pre- and main amp. Using Spectral one would be VERY wise never to bypass the preamp as the main amp has a very low input impedance, meaning the preamp must (and can indeed) deliver a very large signal, much larger than usually required. You really don't want to ask the same power from your DAC or any other source.

Hope this helps!

Sure does help.  Thanks!

My analog stuff is nowhere near as nice as my digital, but even with an entry level Project turntable, it puts out amazing sound so I definitely won't be giving it up. I really do appreciate your thoughts.

I will have the Rossini and Berkeley both in my system shortly,  and try to get a sense of how much I like them and their different tonal characteristics.

I may or may not try to directly drive my audio research amplifier but I can't really think of any other way to listen to the vinyl without a quality preamp and phono-pre, so don't see much point and driving the speakers directly with the DAC, and likely will continue going through the preamp..

On 7/26/2018 at 11:54 PM, blaven said:

Sure does help.  Thanks!

My analog stuff is nowhere near as nice as my digital, but even with an entry level Project turntable, it puts out amazing sound so I definitely won't be giving it up. I really do appreciate your thoughts.

I will have the Rossini and Berkeley both in my system shortly,  and try to get a sense of how much I like them and their different tonal characteristics.

I may or may not try to directly drive my audio research amplifier but I can't really think of any other way to listen to the vinyl without a quality preamp and phono-pre, so don't see much point and driving the speakers directly with the DAC, and likely will continue going through the preamp..

Curious what your findings will be. Every system might respond differently, so please let us know!