IGNORED

Article: dCS Rossini DAC Review

4 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

You are free to spend $24k on a DAC.  I easily spend more than that each year on things you would consider to be frivolous.   Not too many of us can discuss the merits of a product we don't have access to.

What people spend their money on is their business and none of mine so I would never consider what you or anyone else spend to be “frivolous”. I truly could care less. 

As Miguelito appropriately stated so what do you want to discuss about the reviewed DAC?  Only the price?  

3 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

You are trying to bully me.  

No! I am asking what it is that you're saying. Can you clarify? 

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I have a dim view of products this expensive where the only possible difference with far less expensive products is the elusive and completely subjective pursuit of sound quality.  High end audio has become a carnival of many small manufacturers selling tiny quantities of very expensive items.  My gripe is not with this product alone, but with the entire high end scene.  Remember the $3,000 amp which got great reviews and turned out to be made from $150 worth of components?

Just now, Ron Scubadiver said:

You are trying to bully me.

No.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

2 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

I have a dim view of products this expensive where the only possible difference with far less expensive products is the elusive and completely subjective pursuit of sound quality.  High end audio has become a carnival of many small manufacturers selling tiny quantities of very expensive items.  My gripe is not with this product alone, but with the entire high end scene.  Remember the $3,000 amp which got great reviews and turned out to be made from $150 worth of components?

So? Not everything is like that.

This thread is about the product reviewed and related things. 

This thread is not about your argument. Hence you're completely off topic, and frankly it is you who is bullying people here. 

If you wish to start a thread on your comment above, please feel free to do so!

system pics

16 minutes ago, miguelito said:

This thread is not about your argument. Hence you're completely off topic, and frankly it is you who is bullying people here. 

Do you make the rules here?  You asked for clarification.  You got it.  Now don't tell me I am off topic because you opened the discussion.  

5 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

Do you make the rules here?  You asked for clarification.  You got it.  Now don't tell me I am off topic because you opened the discussion.  

Actually there are such rules here! 

Stop trolling and bullying!

system pics

34 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

You are trying to bully me.

Well since I grew up in Brooklyn 50s-70s when Brooklyn wasn’t what it is today, I consider myself fairly “streetwise” and must assume you are here to play games, bust balls and get your rocks off because you can’t be serious with your comments. 

Man, I take a 6 month break from CA and I come back and it's still the same. Well, i'm off again. Chris, you should really consider cleaning this place up. Appoint a few more moderators, and give these guys (it's always the same guys) a big kick up the arse. Hopefully if I come back it will be better. 

Well I spend  around 10K a year on wine.   Wine makes my  $400. iFI DAC sound. great.  And I don’t have to screw with 6, count them, 6 filter settings.  By the way, last time I heard a full dCS stack it did not sound very good.  Horrible room, just goes to show, the room rules!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

35 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

Man, I take a 6 month break from CA and I come back and it's still the same. Well, i'm off again. Chris, you should really consider cleaning this place up. Appoint a few more moderators, and give these guys (it's always the same guys) a big kick up the arse. Hopefully if I come back it will be better. 

Is a mystery why a review about a new DAC brought out this stuff.  First the endless posts about a speaker with a topology from 1950’s then this aggression about cost.....sheesh!

not sure what Chris could do without a heavy hand which may cause more ill will than order.

9 hours ago, joelha said:

How about ignore the folks who have this fixation on what others spend or how others price their audio equipment?

Their unhappiness/discontent/frustration is their own reward.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to enjoy my system.

Joel

Hi Joel - Hope all is well in your life since we last talked. 

Do you have the version of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan I used in the review?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

51 minutes ago, gomle69 said:

Great review. How well does it work with UPnP/DLNA? Do you get gapless playback? Is the native app any good?

Great questions.

I really should have put it through my usual torture test of UPnP/DLNA, but I used Roon 99.99% of the time. I will do this and follow up. I feel like I really missed the boat on this one and owe it to the CA Community.

The native app is far better than it used to be, but not close to Roon or JRemote level. For some people is will be exactly what they want because it's simple. 

More to come.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I really should have put it through my usual torture test of UPnP/DLNA, but I used Roon 99.99% of the time. I will do this and follow up. I feel like I really missed the boat on this one and owe it to the CA Community.

Suggest some people might be interested in your review of Audirvana's over UPnP to Rossini. It shows up on the A+ list but I never tried it.

system pics

13 hours ago, wdw said:

Is a mystery why a review about a new DAC brought out this stuff.  First the endless posts about a speaker with a topology from 1950’s then this aggression about cost.....sheesh!

not sure what Chris could do without a heavy hand which may cause more ill will than order.

I do not know enough to have an opinion on Amir's critique of the TADs, but I thought his posts were relevant and interesting--if the reference system is flawed, can the review be valid?  Is any single reference system sufficient?

I agree that posts that are a critique of the very existence of the thread are counterproductive and should not be entertained.