IGNORED

Article: dCS Rossini DAC Review

1 hour ago, rando said:

What might be absurd is 90% of what you wrote justifying the other 10%.  I don't need to live with a friend's wife to know her cooking is better than I get at home.  It might, and probably does, get better the more one experiences it.  Doesn't absolve that first bite  of merit.  (I get both sides married well outside this analogy.)

This of course assumes taste.  Which I won't go so far as to comment on the surplus or starvation ranks of those possessing it attendant to this discussion.  x-D

I think your comparison of living with another wife to determine the merits of her cooking to that of a “component” in a stereo system is 100% utterly absurd as compared to your determination that my comments being 90% absurd. 

So if my comment is so absurd to you please explain how, unless you possess some uncanny ability beyond all others, you could possibly evaluate a “component” in a system that you #1 don’t own and are unfamiliar with and #2 haven’t lived with to understand that “component” in your own system instead of some foreign system. Additionally when you are doing your evaluation it’s not even in the same room or setup as you might have heard among different systems. 

The 100% absurd thing is your failure to understand ALL the different variables that are likely different among the different systems you are evaluating when trying to make a drive by analysis of just one component. 

2 minutes ago, miguelito said:

And what is that? MSB?

Yes the Select II. 

I happen to love it. I will be the first one to critique my buying habits. The main reason I purchased it was because the V I had was a end of line product and MSB gave a great upgrade path (great in this case is relative). 

I happen to really like every MSB product I have ever had in my system including the Analog I got to audition, the IV plus I owned and upgraded to the V and now the Select II which is the best I have ever had in my system. 

One of the other nice nice things about my upgrade to the Select II was my ability to get rid of my Ref10 preamp as the pre stage on the Select II is that good. I was very skeptical before I took delivery but it didn’t take long to see direct to amp bypassing any preamp was superior to my ref10. 

11 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Interestingly, this is one of the features I actually ended up loving in the Rossini: The volume control.

My Kondo Ongaku does not have a remote, so volume adjustment - I find it critical to listen at the right volume - was a pain. What I do now is set the range of volume in Roon between -15dB and 0dB, set a moderately high volume on Ongaku, and then I can fine tune right from my iPad. It is absolutely great. And works with MQA as well since it is done after rendering. 

The MSB has a wonderful pre stage and one of the nice things about the CH Precision M1 amp is that it has adjustable gain remotely so too can get optimal output. 

Pertaining to your comment about live concerts I couldn’t agree more. I have been to some horrible sounding venues despite the performers being amazing. 

4 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

$24k?  There has got to be something which works as well for about 10% of what it costs.  

There are plenty of things that work well for 10% the cost. The same can be said about just about everything and hence why I think we should stick to the merits of the product under review. 

4 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

You are free to spend $24k on a DAC.  I easily spend more than that each year on things you would consider to be frivolous.   Not too many of us can discuss the merits of a product we don't have access to.

What people spend their money on is their business and none of mine so I would never consider what you or anyone else spend to be “frivolous”. I truly could care less. 

As Miguelito appropriately stated so what do you want to discuss about the reviewed DAC?  Only the price?  

34 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

You are trying to bully me.

Well since I grew up in Brooklyn 50s-70s when Brooklyn wasn’t what it is today, I consider myself fairly “streetwise” and must assume you are here to play games, bust balls and get your rocks off because you can’t be serious with your comments. 

5 hours ago, barrows said:

Nice review Chris.  What a cool system set up with the Rossini driving the direct input of the Constellation amps.  I have seen John Atkinson's measurements of most dCS DACs, and they all have very beefy output stages and driving capabilities, so I was not surprised that this approach worked, but it is always good to have actual listening confirmation that there was no loss of body/substance driving the Constellation amps through their "direct" input.  A nice simple system with just Rossini/Constellation and speakers... nice!

Hi Barrows. 

Same here. I love it. I’m going direct from my MSB Select II into a CH Precision and it’s fantastic, simple and one less piece of gear!

When Vince from MSB was bragging to me about the pre stage of the MSB I pretty much ignored him. I mean how could it beat my REF10?  Reluctantly I went direct into my then ARC GS150 and was literally blown away. The difference wasn’t close. It also pleased my pocketbook in helping make take the upgrade.  

For all digital system it’s a dream although MSB does allow extra inputs (at a steep price) for vinyl lovers. 

5 hours ago, firedog said:

In audio today there is fantastic relatively low and mid priced equipment.  X number of years ago it would have been considered "state of the art". Today it just very good, but not state of the art. 

There are some rip-offs in the high end. That doesn't mean all of it is a rip-off. 

There's no question that the diminishing return curve in audio is very steep. Just on performance. And that doesn't take into account  that in the high-end you end up paying a lot of money for looks, and for (in many cases) hand assembly in a high wage rate location. 

That pumps up the price way above the pure parts/performance cost.

With the very high end, you do get better performance, but the increased performance is small compared to the increase in price. Every person has their point at which they say the increase in price needed to get the next bit of performance "isn't worth it". 

I've got little doubt that the 24K MSB DAC is better than the 9-10K model. Is it's sound 2.5 times better? Surely not. But just as surely, it is better. 

No point in arguing at what point that bigger spend "stops making sense". 

Hey FD

i agree with you. Having been a very happy MSB owner for years now I can say my initial experience with what I was going to buy, the Analog was very positive. Then my devil pal put a IV plus in my system and I was hooked. Of course it wasn’t worth the difference in cost but no doubt there was a difference and not subtle. 

Having lived with IV plus and then V (not a huge sonic improvement moving to the V) I will say it was a quantum move to the Select II. Again was it worth the cost?  In my case the big upgrade expense was significantly offset by being able to sell my REF10 and to me the sonic benefits are a significant leap forward to what was already tremendous. 

15 hours ago, PeterG said:

Priaptor--thanks for your helpful post. 

One of the funny things about audiophiledom, is that we are often using different levels of scrutiny to describe things.  When Amir said the dCS was weak, I didn't think he meant that it did not sound as good as my Yggy in my $30K system.  I thought he meant it was not great for a $100K+ system.  Similarly, when you criticize Magico and Wilson, I assume you only mean they have some weaknesses relative to other excellent speakers.  I trust that all the components in Chris's system are excellent, but I also appreciate that even great systems have weaknesses when compared to other great systems.

Cheers

I'm not criticizing the "sound" of Magico and Wilson, whether I like them or not.  What I am criticizing is their need/desire to always upgrade in very short period of times compared to Chris' TADs

16 minutes ago, Mercman said:

The Wilson Alexia Series 1 was "current" for 5 years. There was no way to upgrade an Alexia Series 1 to a Series 2 since the Series 2 had completely redesigned bass and midrange cabinets.  

But I don't think that any Alexia Series 1 speakers stopped working after 5 years.

My bad, you are right that they were on the market that long.  It seems much shorter. 

Not arguing that the originals stopped working but when you release a Series II of the same speaker it greatly diminishes the inherit value of what you bought.  What makes the policy, IMO, relatively unsettling is that as you indicated it is a total redesign with no upgrade path yet maintains the same standing in the Wilson name, sans series II.  When I owned NOLA Baby Grands, "new" Baby Grands that went by the Baby Grand name were upgradeable at a very reasonable cost.  While the originals haven't stopped working as you state, I think the number of Alexia series 1 on the market for resale speaks to my point.  

33 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

There actually kind of is an upgrade path, "The Wilson Certified Authentic" program.  Dealers move the owners original speakers prior to bringing in the new one.  I would think physically upgrading might be impossible in most cases.

I actually owned many Wilson speakers in the past and their “upgrades” used to most often be a field upgrade that were not to difficult. The biggest issue I had with one of them was I had to solder a new lead to a driver on my X1. I probably shouldn’t put Wilson in the same category as Magico as the latter really is in a class of its own in what I label churning but I am starting to see a pattern emerging that is varying with past Wilson practices. Not that it effects me as I was just making an example. 

While I recognize both Magico and Wilson for being excellent products they just aren’t my cup of tea and was just illustrating the “upgraditis” built into both manufacturerss.