IGNORED

Article: dCS Rossini DAC Review

53 minutes ago, Blake said:

Chris,

I know it may sound ridiculous to some, but since you just reviewed it recently, can the Yggy Analog 2 go toe to toe with the Rossini, or is the Rossini is clear step better in your subjective opinion? 

Very logical question, but complicated to answer. The Rossini sounds better than the Yggy in my system, but also consider what one's room, one's choice of preamp (mandatory with Yggy) (I bypassed the pre with Rossini), one's listening preferences, PCM or DSD or MQA, feature set (Ethernet input, RoonReady etc...). Because the Yggy doesn't have Ethernet and RoonReady, you have to consider what input your using when thinking about the comparison, etc...

To compare the Yggdrasil to the Rossini you must include the source component such as a Signature Rendu SE, the Yggy, and a preamp. The Rossini ethernet input and internal volume control (2V or 6V output) handles everything. 

I could go on, but it's much more complicated than the question seems. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 minutes ago, mevdinc said:

This is really strange and I now find the right/left channel thing very confusing. :)
I even played the Chesky Records channel test sample to double check, and from my listening position the left channel is on left. So, the beginning guitar sound is in the left channel.
Maybe the left channel is referred to as the right speaker from the system's position but Chris did say 'the right channel'.
Sorry to carry on but I just want to make sure I don't have my channels/speakers swapped.

Swapping channels happens accidentally when producing and album or remaster. There are many more examples of this one including Led Zeppelin. 

My guess is these versions of the album or at least the track are different. Both our systems are fine :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 hours ago, joelha said:

How about ignore the folks who have this fixation on what others spend or how others price their audio equipment?

Their unhappiness/discontent/frustration is their own reward.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to enjoy my system.

Joel

Hi Joel - Hope all is well in your life since we last talked. 

Do you have the version of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan I used in the review?

51 minutes ago, gomle69 said:

Great review. How well does it work with UPnP/DLNA? Do you get gapless playback? Is the native app any good?

Great questions.

I really should have put it through my usual torture test of UPnP/DLNA, but I used Roon 99.99% of the time. I will do this and follow up. I feel like I really missed the boat on this one and owe it to the CA Community.

The native app is far better than it used to be, but not close to Roon or JRemote level. For some people is will be exactly what they want because it's simple. 

More to come.

1 hour ago, ShawnC said:

Audiogon has the Wilson Alexandria X-2 Series 1 for $40,000, that's a $95,000 savings

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8g4j3-wilson-audio-alexandria-x-2-series-1-in-desert-silver-certified-authentic-full-range

Same here - https://superphonica.com/search-results/?q=wilson audio

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, bmichels said:

I read few times that the ROSSINI (that I am contemplating a my next DAC) does support Tidal, Spotify Connect & Deezer, but... I do not see any mention of DEEZER in the Rossini's manual

--> Is DEEZER supported by Rossini (direct, not through airplay)

--> Will QOOBUZ be supported soon ? 

thanks in advance

Bertrand MICHELS

Best to get it straight from the horse’s mouth @AMP

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, mrkwr said:

Coming late to this, but I have a question for the reviewer: given the superlatives used in the review text, I wondered what were the factors that led to this getting a 4* rather than 5* rating. Is it down to the price/value ratio, or something else?

The ratings are given by readers of the site and are about the article not the product. Confusing I agree. 

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

Nice to hear you love your Rossini. So do I! Regarding the network streamer: I love that possibility on the Rossini too. However it quickly became clear to me that the sound in that case (using Roon) cannot compete with using my Aurender as the server. So that one is staying where it is. YMMV, of course.

I was up until 2am this morning listening through the W20 externally clicked by the Rossini. Wonderful stuff.