IGNORED

Anyone here using an iMac Pro?

I have one brand new, 8 core, unboxed, for a project. There is a chance I will open it this week-end and will try it instead of my linear power supplied 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro. I am very satisfied with the Macbook Pro and Heed Audio Abacus USB DAC and a Merging Hapi with a Premium DAC board as well. Soon will have an 18 core iMac Pro as well, I wonder how will it handle with the most power hungry Hqplayer upconversion. 

What is your question?

9 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am curious to know if A+ and a USB DAC will work with 2x upsampling because of the fact that the Pro uses a secondary chip to control  all the secondary subsystems, such as music.

If you can confirm this, that would be super great!

I tried upsampling with Hqplayer (from Roon) and it works up to any rate and it works up to 128x DSD, this is the highest my Heed Abacus DAC supports. I have only an old A+ license, did not try it yet, I am not sure if it works on 10.13 and with the iMac Pro.

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

If you really want to have fun and figure out if the Direct Mode hack works on it, I will love you forever!  That I am just as curious about because that chip also controls the System Integrity Protocol and ensures the OS stays stock.

I have 2.4.5 version of A+ licensed.

I tried the hack. The direct mode does not work.

The 2x upsampling works without problem.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Did you get any error messages?

Did you try the hack with the latest Audirvana+?  If not, why not?

have you had direct mode working before with the hack?

1. No.

2. No. As I mentioned I have only the A+ 2.5.4 version, did not want to pay 35 Euro for the upgrade, since I use Roon/HQplayer daily. 

3. Never tried to be honest. It is brand new install on this iMac Pro, installed a system and tried your suggestions only for you, otherwise I use the latest MacBook Pro from a linear power supply to drive my desktop active system. This iMac Pro is not for home use but for a television system project otherwise.

4 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

ok.  I appreciate all your effort and time.  Thank you very much for that and answering my questions.  I still can't decide if I want one because Direct Mode sounds so damn good.

Sometime end of next week I may try it again. I will see if I want to buy the upgrade for A+ or not. Not convinced yet.

5 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

A $5000 computer to play music? Really?

No.

As I mentioned few days ago, it is for a project (television post-production system) and I  opened the box and tried it.

There will be few 18 core iMac Pro as well in this project I will try one of them, just to check how it works in any audio system.