IGNORED

Reference & Word Clock Cables

Is it a good idea that the original (and too long) MCX (male) to BNC (female) cable inside the tX-USBultra be shortened?

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

• 1 year later...

For example, 3D2V means:

3 : dielectric insulator diameter, mm. Bigger is better.

D : characteristic impedance=50Ω (C is 75Ω)

2 : solid polyethylene dielectric insulation, F means foamed polyethylene insulation. F is better performance but weaker to external pressure.

V : braided shield, W means double braided shield, B means braided and foil shielded. B is the best.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 2:27 PM, Confused said:

I spotted this on Amazon.  It is 12G SDI spec, available in any length (or colour) you want, and not too expensive.

Does anyone have any insight as to if it might be any good?  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Video-Belden-Neutrik-NBNC75TU11X-Orange/dp/B07BZSXV35/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529410778&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=12G-SDI%2B75ohm&th=1

Looks very interesting. Seems to have better specs than https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e07.html

But these 75 ohm coax clock cables is same as we use as digital interconnects, right ?

So if you have some RCA versions laying around, one could just add RCA/BNC plugs ?

How about using JSSG360 on these cables ?

• 2 years later...
On 7/25/2020 at 5:17 PM, MartinT said:

My experience with clock cables are limited to Canare 75 ohm cables, but here are my findings. My clock is a BG7TBL Chinese 10MHz OCXO with a DAPU oven crystal of very decent spec.  It feeds both an EtherREGEN ethernet reclocker and a Mutec MC-3+ USB reclocker.

I started with Canare LV-61S as it's inexpensive, widely available and measures well (I had my friend at Coherent Systems measure it on a cable tester and it showed good reflective and scatter performance). I had two 0.5m lengths made up. Sound quality was good and really made it worthwhile using an external clock compared with the internal clocks of the EtherREGEN and Mutec.

More recently, I decided to try Canare LV-77S cables with Canare BNC connectors. You might think, as I did, that the better shielded 77's superiority would be lost in such short runs. I was wrong. The music immediately became more vivid, with an even lower noise floor, tighter bass and dynamic snap that often astonishes me.

The lesson for me is that clock cables matter. There may well be better cables than Canare out there, but go for 77 as a minimum, with high quality connectors, and you'll get great performance.

I am searching for clock cable and read this post, you use 75 ohm cable because your clock source and DDC/DAC is also 75ohm?

A lot has happened since then. My DDC and DAC are 50 ohm while my AfterDark clock is 75 ohm. It doesn't matter as the  clock is sinewave. I am now using the best clock cable I have found since writing the above more than three years ago: Harmonic Technology Digital Copper III 50 ohm. It's a superb cable.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

2 hours ago, MartinT said:

A lot has happened since then. My DDC and DAC are 50 ohm while my AfterDark clock is 75 ohm. It doesn't matter as the  clock is sinewave. I am now using the best clock cable I have found since writing the above more than three years ago: Harmonic Technology Digital Copper III 50 ohm. It's a superb cable.

Thanks for your advise, according to your experience, is shorter cable has better performance? I can find the cable you mention, considering to buy it.

1 hour ago, joenetic said:

Thanks for your advise, according to your experience, is shorter cable has better performance? I can find the cable you mention, considering to buy it.

I bought a single 1m cable and cut it in half to make the two 0.5m cables I needed.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, MartinT said:

Thanks for the tip Martin , I’ll be sure to purchase a HT 50ohm cable I just placed an ordered for a LHY OCK 2 after reading through the forums here on AudioPhileStyle. 

On 4/16/2023 at 3:02 PM, MartinT said:

I bought a single 1m cable and cut it in half to make the two 0.5m cables I needed.

Hi, sounds very promising. I am improving my network connection and clock cables to Ethereregen as well.

Do you mind sharing were you purchased the HT cable? 50cm will do I understand? Does it bend easily?

I do know how to cut but I am not sure how to finish it myself though.

Thanks for sharing

PS. this is OT but very inspiring your 4g router setup! thanks.

PS. 2 I just found this, did you order direct?

https://www.aria-audio.com/en/products/harmonic-technology-dciii-50ohm

DCIII-50ohm.jpg

Audio Accessory HK

Audio Accessory HK | store

Their service was excellent.  Use browser translate and you can place your order easily.  Remember the price is HK dollars so not as expensive as you think.

Does the Harmonic Technology come in a 75 ohm version? I am running LHY OCK 2 > EtherRegen> Bricasti M3. 
I think I can run a filter and use a 50 ohm cable correct? 

This is my first clock and I can tell it has possibilities. It came with a 2 meter Gotham 75 ohm cable. No idea where that falls in the quality range. I can get away with a much shorter cable if that helps. 

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

I contacted two Harmonic Technology dealers inquiring to purchase the DC III 50 Ohm cable never got a reply back from either one I purchased the CyberShaft 50 ohm semi rigid cable , next day shipping, great packaging comes with cable test results along with friendly after sales follow up all that for a $47.00 purchase.
Anyway I’m liking what the LHY CLK 2 brought to the table of my modest home office system TeKton Lore speakers with optional upgrades , refurbished vintage Pioneer black face SX-5590 receiver , Gustard A-26 dac and DIY server . 

10 hours ago, Hiker said:

I contacted two Harmonic Technology dealers inquiring to purchase the DC III 50 Ohm cable never got a reply back from either one (…)

Too bad, they replied to me overnight (2023-04-25):

Thank you for your inquiry.

1)Harmonic Technology DC III 7N Copper (50-ohm) Digital Clock Cable,0.5M,the price is HKD 840(USD 108).

2)Harmonic Technology DC III 7N Copper (50-ohm) Digital Clock Cable,1M,the price is HKD 840(USD 108).

- 0.5M and 1M are the same prices.

Shipments worldwide:
The EMS (door-to-door service) shipping fee from Hong Kong to Canada
is HKD 280(USD 36). See attached photo.

Method of payment:
Paypal - Account ([email protected])

Please feel free to contact me via this email if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Novelle Au

Paul 於 2023-04-25 10:32 寫到:

Dear Audio Accessory,
I was referred to you by a recent buyer of one of your cables. Could you please confirm availability and pricing of the following cable?
   * Harmonic Technology DC III 7N Copper (50-ohm) Digital Clock Cable
   * 1 meter (or 50 cm if available)
   * BNC male to BNC male:

I just got both the Cooper and Sliver version of this cable.  You may want to spend a few extra bucks on the Silver.  The Copper is outstanding but the Silver is next level. This is coming from LHY OCK 2> EtherRegen > Bricasti M3.  I have only had the Silver in for 1 day and I cant gush over it enough. It will bring an emotional experience to your rig. Vocals sound as if the singer is actually detached from the musicians. Nothing like I ever heard.  I just got back from Axpona and I am I know what good sound is. 

When I first got the LHY I used a power chord from Farad and a cable that I bought with the unit. It was ok but knew there was more. 

I swapped out the power cable for a modest  Anti cable level 2 cord( $ 220.00) and the sound got good and very listenable. I then purchased the HT Copper from a poster at Head Fi. WOW so this is what it should sound like. He had an extra silver so I said why not.

I tend to stay away from silver with the beryllium midrange and tweeters in the Personas but I am glad I gave it a try. 

The cable just shows how good the LHY can sound.  Best bang for the buck ( along with the EtherRegen cuz without that I have no way of using a clock).  You can always buy them both  as the shipping is the same.  Sell the one you don't want as they sell real quick.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

44 minutes ago, di-fi said:

Too bad, they replied to me overnight (2023-04-25):

I thought why buy from a dealer on the other side of the planet when there’s one 60 miles from me , after a week past I contacted the second dealer from Manitoba he finally answered my query today ,.Oh well