IGNORED

Process Lasso

CJH

Thanks for going into detail about your set up. I don't use this software myself (I am also a novice), but it's useful and interesting to see how others do things, so very interesting to read, thanks. 

Bill. 

Jriver, Windows 8.1, HP Pavilion G6 2215so Laptop, Dragonfly Black, Quad QCII Preamp, Quad FM 1 Radio, Quad II amp, Quad ESL Electrostatic speaker. 

• 2 months later...

I use PL from a different perspective to CJH.

My W10 laptop doesn't do any upsampling now (because my DAVE DAC does it better) so my CPU usage is very low.

So the name of the game for me is for PL is to reduce latency, i.e. to reduce the amount of time the CPU is switching between different states, as follows:

I leave all the clever PC parameter manipulation to Fidelizer Pro (because its designer knows much more about it than I do),

I've also switched off hyperthreading so that there are just 2 real cores instead of 2 real + 2 virtual. Less switching.

FP Pro assigns all the music processes and services to Core 0, and tries to move the non-music apps/services to Core 1 (there's a limit to how completely it can do this). And FP Pro also assigns High Priority to the designated music app (Roon i this case), but that is lost if I subsequently stop and restart the app.

So I use PL to:

1. Maintain Roon at Core 0 and at High Priority whenever it restarts

2. Keep certain other processes at Core 1 (but in practice the most persistent Operating System background processes refuse to be constrained in this way, so this has limited value)

3. Most importantly, set PL to automatically go into "High Performance Mode" whenever Roon is running. This switches off all the CPU's power saving modes. So that the CPU doesn't keep switching back and forth between different power states, and so always is running at "high revs".

The High Performance Mode does not noticably affect the battey consumption of my laptop, but to be on the safe side I've set it to automatically go tio normal mode whenever Roon app is stopped.

• 6 months later...

having used process lasso for a quite a while, I found that running it in bitsum high performance mode together with selecting the program you wish to use for audio in real time.  I also isolated that program so it runs in a single core mode 0 and everything else shares 2/3 with fidelizer running on core 1. I also upped the memory for my audio program. But apart from that, I’ve not dabbled any further 

I also know that fidelizer also runs the audio program in real time and single core mode now which must mean it’s a good thing

As I only use this PC for playing audio via a multi-boot w10 pc, I haven’t found lose of other features running process lasso in that configuration 

hope that helps others using it in the same way