IGNORED

First headphone system for a bass head - Ultrasone Signature Pro or Fostex TH-900 MKII?

Hi Folks,

I'm planning my first headphone system for long listening sessions at home. 

Which would you recommend for an audio enthusiast Techno (ala Berghain) head - the Ultrasone Signature Pro or the Fostex TH-900 MKII?

Which DAC + AMP to go with them? I was thinking about the Schiit Jotunheim

Other options to consider?

As a reference for my taste - I've listened extensively to HD800s (connected to a Musical Fidelity M6S DAC) and they are truly marvelous but are lacking in bass punchiness for my taste with the genre I listen to the most. 

Thanks,

Ron

Hi Ron,

I am a fellow techno enthusiast (I'd like to visit the Berghain club at some point or a Boiler Room live set somewhere).  There are not too many of us here on CA.

I used to have a pretty good stable of headphones and I would switch from one to the other.  I then made myself narrow my collection down to one serious headphone, and one for fun/travel.  When I owned a stable of headphones, it included the original TH-900 (alongside HD800's, Dharmas, W3000ANV, T1's, HE500, etc) and since I owned all at the same time I extensively A/B'ed them. 

I thought then, and still think now that the original TH-900 is the best can I have ever heard for bass heavy music (which is the stuff I listen to every day- Haxan Cloak, Andy Stott, Eric Holm, etc.)

I have not heard the Mrk. II TH-900.  I have not heard the Ultrasone Signature Pro.  I did try an Ultrasone model at one point but didn't care much for it but that means nothing. 

If the Mrk. II is anything like the original TH-900 and the bass quality is at least equal to the original TH-900 (or, gasp, even better!) , and you found the HD800s lacking in bass punch, then, I can't imagine a better choice than the TH-900 mrk II.

Let us know what you go with.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Thank you very much for sharing and caring :)

It gives me a lot more confidence.

Yesterday I've found a pair of a "Condition: Refurbished - Authorized Dealer - Full Warranty and Support" MKIIs on Amazon for $1090. I don't know how but all of a sudden I got the "Thank you" message on Amazon so it's on its way :D

Hope they'ree aren't counterfeits  or something o.O

Then, to complete the (semi) impulse buy I've ordered the Schiit Modi 2 Multibit together with the Asgard 2.

Hopefully exciting times ahead-fi :P