IGNORED

iFi's xDSD (official) - Award winning.

xDSD – Premium. Pocket-portable. Perfection.

Part 3 – Headphone amplifier... and then some!

The ‘Cyberdrive’ headphone amplifier stage is one of the pivotal new circuit designs in the xDSD. This new design places all parameters of the fully analogue system under digital control for a ‘best of both worlds scenario’.

1.thumb.png.2827c58aa0e1cc5c4f585ed07240690f.png

The key components are:

i.                     A digitally-controlled stepped attenuator IC

ii.                   iFi proprietary operational amplifiers (W990VST and the high-performance, low-noise, quad J-Fet OV4627A)

iii.                  Dual-mono power amp IC headphone drivers.

The xDSD draws upon the existing iFi headphone platform but with the circuitry ratcheted up several notches. Performance is increased, both noise and distortion are lowered and the XBass+ and 3D-Matrix+ modules gain electronic switching.

2.thumb.png.1eff17e136fef4107c84988ba2254535.png 

The ‘Cyberdrive’ headphone amplifier provides up to 3.6V output to easily drive high-impedance headphones while offering a low-noise performance that parallels the micro iDSD Black Label’s ‘Eco’ mode with high-sensitivity headphones/IEMs/CIEMs minus the need to switch anything! Simply set volume control as needed and let the ‘Cyberdrive’ circuitry do the rest.

Got Sennheiser HD800s or Focal Utopias? No sweat. The xDSD will drive them to eardrum splitting levels (not recommended!) so, short of the most-demanding HE-6, just connect any pair of headphones.

New volume control system behind the ‘Cyberdrive’

In short, we developed a new ‘the best of both worlds’ solution - a completely digitally controlled process merged with attenuation itself done in the analogue domain. Both power mode switching and volume level are combined in one rotary control, which means the xDSD transparently and evenly adapts power modes as the volume setting is adjusted.

This means that while the volume control operates like a digital control system, every ‘Bit’ of resolution is retained like an analogue volume control. (Digital volume controls built-into DAC chips lose resolution at lower listening levels).

New ‘Cyberdrive’ battery system with extended playback time

We gathered extensive feedback regarding battery-powered products and this aspect of the xDSD has been re-designed from the ground-up.

A dedicated USB micro connector at the rear serves as a charging port. Power is never drawn via its USB type A audio connection. This is reserved for audio only.

In addition, a new 3.8V/2,200mAh LiPo battery (of the same size as its 3.7V equivalent) offers +/- 12% greater capacity, which extends the playback time away from power outlets.

The entire battery circuitry in the xDSD is also subject to the full ‘Cyberdrive’ system, which not only monitors its state and constantly monitors an attached charger, but also manages the way xDSD is used. Depending on the connected load and real usage, to either maximise playback time on battery mode or battery longevity, one of two modes (‘desktop’ or ‘portable’) is automatically selected.

These features were already implemented in the micro iDSD Black Label yet had to be set manually whereas on the xDSD, it is fully automatic and optimised far more extensively by comparison. Finally, in the event of a depleted battery, the xDSD automatically switches over to external USB power and will carry on as if nothing has changed.

On-the-go, depending upon the headphones, the typical listening time is 6-8 hours.

Latest 3D+ and XBass + for Headphones

The 3D-Matrix+ and XBass+ are also under ‘Cyberdrive’ control, hence a simple single multifunction button enables one to cycle through all input options and on/off.

3.png.ee660b4c05d0e34b511c690db52e0f0b.png

With a pure analogue volume control retaining full-resolution at all volume levels, its selectable 3D+ and XBass+ functions offer both great sensitivity and power performance for the ultimate in headphone enjoyment.

When used in Line Out mode, both are bypassed and a straight 2v signal is sent to the output.

And Finally

With one eye on the future as to how we all enjoy music and one eye on our portable/transportable line-up, it has been a long road to bring the X-series to market.

Though we are satisfied that this new model encapsulates our very best and latest portable audio know-how.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @AMR/iFi audio

Does the xDSD perform (measure) better than the iDSD Black Label at DSD512?

As a DAC?

As a DAC + headphone amp?

In terms of lower distortion (IMD) and output distortion and better transparency etc ?

Or is the Black Label still king?

Assume physical size and weight and battery life etc are not factors, in the above questions.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @AMR/iFi audio

Does the xDSD perform (measure) better than the iDSD Black Label at DSD512?

As a DAC?

As a DAC + headphone amp?

In terms of lower distortion (IMD) and output distortion and better transparency etc ?

Or is the Black Label still king?

Assume physical size and weight and battery life etc are not factors, in the above questions.

Cheers!

xDSD is placed in-between nano iDSD and micro iDSD and as such it performs accordingly. We pay the same attention to products regardless of their price and we show every detail on our website. If you want to know sheer numbers, please look there. And if you want to know how our products compare one to another, to give them a test drive via your local iFi representative sounds like a solid plan. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Also, I've seen pics of 2 different finishes/colours. These look like more of a matte finish than the glossy/shiny I've seen.

In the attached pics, there's 2 different faceplate finishes while the main body is matte.

Are there 2 options currently available?

9C1817A3-E7AF-47D8-8AEA-0C6B157E8742.thumb.jpeg.1df996ef997303ee32455fc73b0e2118.jpeg

1CDD19E8-56D2-4DD9-86F3-8B5F6A6BC73E.thumb.jpeg.d8b69a67000c1d0997caefeeebb328a9.jpeg

F240CCBF-7AB0-4441-ADCA-7D19921279E7.thumb.jpeg.80afe1961d91c423e0185542574497d2.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-xdsd-the-official-thread.873787/page-2#post-14095416

Beta units. We tried different things to gather feedback from users. xDSD is available in one version only, the glossy titanium one.

Hi @AMR/iFi audio

Just picked up an xDSD for a trial. Sounding fantastic.

I'm using a 5Vdc x 1.1Amp linear PSU and the PSU's metal case is getting very warm powering the xDSD. I'm not worried about the PSU because it has built in shutdown protection if too much current is drawn. And the xDSD itself is not warm, only the linear PSU (very warm).

For information only, what are the currents that the xDSD will draw at?

Does it only draw at 0.5A (USB2.0 spec) and 0.9A (USB3.0 spec)?

Or if I feed 1.1A, does it also draw at 1.1A?

Can you please ask the R & D Team.

Cheers

@AMR/iFi audio an update: my PSU is much cooler now, so I assume it was initially powering both the DAC AND charging the DAC's battery at the same time, causing the PSU to get very warm.

Still, would appreciate if R&D can confirm the maximum current draw when charging battery and using the DAC simultaneously.

With a 1.1A PSU does the xDSD draw full 1.1A or is it 1.0A draw? Or limited to 0.9A?

Cheers

On 6/8/2018 at 1:49 AM, Em2016 said:

Hello @AMR/iFi audio ? ?

I love the passive aggressiveness.  This made me chuckle.  I have a couple questions pending on this site for some of their other products (different threads).  Their replies are selective, which makes me believe they either don't know the answer, or feel it's better to keep quiet than to answer.  I doubt they've missed our posts!  

42 minutes ago, buonassi said:

Their replies are selective, which makes me believe they either don't know the answer, or feel it's better to keep quiet than to answer.

You should try their tech support.  9_9

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

4 hours ago, buonassi said:

Their replies are selective

I get that. If I ask for the specs of the clocks used it’s one thing. But my question is about operation and max. current drawn is a basic spec they should be able to provide and have that number already on hand (one would think?)

22 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Better or worse than asking here?

I have found iFi tech support disappointing.  Perhaps you will have a better experience.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

On 6/6/2018 at 11:52 AM, Em2016 said:

@AMR/iFi audio an update: my PSU is much cooler now, so I assume it was initially powering both the DAC AND charging the DAC's battery at the same time, causing the PSU to get very warm.

Still, would appreciate if R&D can confirm the maximum current draw when charging battery and using the DAC simultaneously.

With a 1.1A PSU does the xDSD draw full 1.1A or is it 1.0A draw? Or limited to 0.9A?

Cheers

The xDSD will draw the maximum safe current from any PSU, using the standard id methods (Apple, Samsung, USB standard). Any standard compliant PSU should signal its current limit and the xDSD will then use this current limit. We do not recommend the use of non-standard compliant PSUs.

The xDSD will charge at up to 1.1A and will in addition draw around 300mA to operate if the power supply is capable of providing this current level.

If the PSU cannot be identified using standard methods, then the xDSD will test the maximum current a supply can provide without dropping the output voltage below set thresholds and then operate at this current limit.

As an absolute maximum around 1.4A may be expected if playing and charging a fully depleted battery.

On 6/11/2018 at 3:19 AM, rickca said:

I have found iFi tech support disappointing.  Perhaps you will have a better experience.

If we weren't able to solve issues not related to our products (your HQplayer related case specifically) then yes, you can feel dissapointed indeed. We'll take such an unjustified bashing of our service all day long ?  

3 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

The xDSD will draw the maximum safe current from any PSU, using the standard id methods (Apple, Samsung, USB standard). Any standard compliant PSU should signal its current limit and the xDSD will then use this current limit. We do not recommend the use of non-standard compliant PSUs.

The xDSD will charge at up to 1.1A and will in addition draw around 300mA to operate if the power supply is capable of providing this current level.

If the PSU cannot be identified using standard methods, then the xDSD will test the maximum current a supply can provide without dropping the output voltage below set thresholds and then operate at this current limit.

As an absolute maximum around 1.4A may be expected if playing and charging a fully depleted battery.

Thanks! Greatly appreciated. It mudt have been just the first charge where the PSU ran hot (while playing music at the same time)? In desktop mode now, everything is running cool.

xDSD is sounding great!

In fact, I think it suits my MrSpeakers AEON Closed better than my iDSD BL (~14 ohm planars) - to my ears and my likings. Note, I’m not making a general sweeping statement that xDSD is better but talking specifically to my use case.

With my iDSD BL I had to use Eco AND IEMatch ‘high’ in order to use the volume knob past 12 o’clock. I listen mostly to modern pop and rock music which is typically recorded louder (DR) than the classical and jazz I have. And Eco + High + Standard on the iDSD sounded really restricted in terms of dynamics with my AEON closed with my (mostly) louder music.

With xDSD it’s volume control works differently and channel imbalance is not an issue at all, I’m using the ‘green’ end of volume range and everything sounds incredible in terms of dynamics.

One more technical question @AMR/iFi audio

In the past you’ve shared a lot of great technical information (for those that asked) about the iDSD analogue filters (standard / extended/ extreme).

We now have new option descriptions - measure and listen.

For old iDSD users like me now using xDSD, can you kindly explain measure vs listen?

Is measure the same as the “standard” analogue filter from iDSD? And listen is the same as “extreme”?

Appreciate your help.

19 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

If we weren't able to solve issues not related to our products (your HQplayer related case specifically) then yes, you can feel dissapointed indeed. We'll take such an unjustified bashing of our service all day long ?  

You are confusing me with another CA member.  My case was about the the iGalvanic3.0.  

I got mine in the a few days back and was initially disappointed when I realized the device MUST be charged separately via the USB-C port - it cannot / does not draw power from the USB-A (i.e., audio) port.  In this sense, it is different from the Nano and Micro lines.

That said, WOW.  When fully charged via USB-C, then disconnected to run in battery mode, the sound on this thing is wonderful :)  I've thrown my MrSpeakers Aeon Closed at it (using a new balanced cable I procured for the purpose) and am now listening via Audeze iSine20 (single-ended) - really magical.  Better (I think) than my original Micro iDSD and better than I remember the Black Label Micro I heard a few months back on the tour.

Ticks a lot of boxes for me, and VERY portable, to boot.  Very impressive.

IMG_0689.JPG

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 7:27 PM, jhwalker said:

I got mine in the a few days back and was initially disappointed when I realized the device MUST be charged separately via the USB-C port - it cannot / does not draw power from the USB-A (i.e., audio) port.  In this sense, it is different from the Nano and Micro lines.

That said, WOW.  When fully charged via USB-C, then disconnected to run in battery mode, the sound on this thing is wonderful :)  I've thrown my MrSpeakers Aeon Closed at it (using a new balanced cable I procured for the purpose) and am now listening via Audeze iSine20 (single-ended) - really magical.  Better (I think) than my original Micro iDSD and better than I remember the Black Label Micro I heard a few months back on the tour.

Ticks a lot of boxes for me, and VERY portable, to boot.  Very impressive.

IMG_0689.JPG

Many thanks for your impressions!

• 1 month later...

The EISA award is perfectly understandable, the product in the hand e a remarkable piece of jewellery for audio on the go, the sound is almost on par with the micro iDSD Black Label in a quarter of the size simply amazing.

I can't remember another brand but Sony to have in the past this level of pleasure of owning one great quality product on my hand like their top of the line walkman hardware in the 80’s.

iFi with the xDSD made me feel today the same desire and satisfaction. It a wow! product since the initial unpacking to the pleasure of having it on the hand, is beautiful crafted and on the dark side a fingerprint revelation, I am simply in love by it.

The sound, I never used my micro iDSD away from the desktop, it was portable but not that portable, and very awkward to me to use something like the micro iDSD BL on the go, even if the micro sounds a little better the small advantage that the micro can have on sound does not justify the space and lack of usability on the size of the unit, no way I was using it on the go, anyway the micro Black is more complete and better sounding hardware that deserve is play on the best of the best.

The xDSD is something I will gladly use on the go with pride like an Hugo Boss suit, or an Breitling watch, it simply feels premium and sounds so good, it's not awkward it's beautiful, makes heads turn and look at it with curiosity, it's great sound with stylish looks.

The xbass makes magic on music, the 3D makes everything float around, the effects are not Audiophile correct, but who cares, on the go they are magical, and with all the noise around you on the streets you get more pleasure with them, the xBass and 3D are simple like honey, it produces lot's of detail in a musical way. All other portable Dac's now seem ugly as hell comparing the hardware alone side by side, but not only the portable DAC's, there is a lot of hardware that design and build is not on par with their sound, some have the design and sound horrible, other have the sound and are bad looking. The xDSD is the synergy of sound and looks well made.

EISA Award is very deserved for sound, size, battery duration, beauty, portability, even the price.

There are things we sell to be able to upgrade, and then many years after we regret to have sold that hardware that marked our memories. The iFi xDSD is one product that you will never forget if for some motive I sell it, in 10 or 20 years I will regret have done it, this one is special.

I posted some photos on my flickr page. Have a look at them on https://www.flickr.com/photos/macdesktops/

Congratulations iFi.