IGNORED

BIS - e|classical vs. Qobuz

There were a few recordings (from the 2002-2004 period) that were originally 20/44.1, and were padded to 24 bits for eClassical. 24/44.1 was their dominant recording format from roughly 2005-2011, so there are still about as many albums in the BIS catalog in that format as there are 24/96. Besides several recordings in 24/88.2, there are also a few in 24/48, but I don't think either of those were ever the label's preferred recording format.

I've only once downloaded a BIS recording from eClassical that appeared to be upsampled: the first Schumann violin sonata (with Wallin). The other sonatas on the album clearly have high bandwidth, and are not upsampled.

I don't know if anybody cares, but for older BIS albums the files on eClassical are not normally bit-for-bit with the original CD. Most of them (up to the late nineties) were recorded with preemphasis, and that was true of the digital files when I first started using eClassical. Sometime around the end of 2013, the files were replaced. Deemphasis had been applied, and they'd been requantized to 16-bit.